Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Performance car classifications.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 05:31 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Performance car classifications.

As a guy who never really got into the whole performance car thing growing up i never really new how to classify cars in certain performance categories. Granted i know what an all out sports car is(350z, etc..) but classes like Touring and GT i never really understood because, for the most part, they mostly all look alike. Can someone clarify the difference in Sports, Touring, and GT so that a man like myself, who missed out on some fun in life , can understand the differences. Thanks CL.
Old 03-26-11, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

These are sometimes difficult categories to even define, much less separate, but, in general, it goes like this:

A true "sports-car" usually has two doors and two seats (with rare exceptions like the Mazda RX-8), a no-compromise suspension/tires that strongly emphasizes responsive handling and steering response over ride-comfort and quietness, a low-slung stance, a sometimes cramped interior for larger adults, and, usually, bright-color paint options. It can also have high insurance premiums, depending on the primary driver's history and risks, but that is a different issue. Prices on "pure" sports cars can vary all over the place, from the 25K Mazda Miata to several hundred thousand for Ferraris, Lambos, top-line Porsches, etc.....

"GT" cars, as I understand them, are generally pricey, more plush inside, have more comfort/convienience equipment, and ride slightly more comfortably than pure sports cars. They are not as hard-edged in the performance department, and their ride comfort is usually a little more civilized. Good examples of what I would call GT cars are the Aston Martins, Jaguar XK, Mercedes SL, and the Maserati Gran Sport.

"Touring" cars, as I understand them, have some of the same characteristics as GT cars, but are generally not as pricey, and can have four doors and roomy rear seats. Good examples are the Lexus GS460 and Sport-Package LS460, Infiniti M56, Jaguar XJ/XF, Audi A6/A8, and the BMW 5-series.

The "GT" moniker is, of course, used on the Mustang, but, being a pony-car, it is not what I would call a true GT as defined above.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-11 at 06:36 PM.