Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japanese repair quake-ravaged road in just six days

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-11, 10:39 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

No joke, in AZ they fix stuff in less than a week. Not as big but they are pretty quick. I am impressed with the work of the japanese.
Old 03-25-11, 01:15 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Impressive, not only that but there is no looting, extreme violence that has been televised, problems with robbery, none of that. I'm not japanese, but it just goes to show the kind of
society the japanese live in. America on the other hand, the day after something like this would occur, people would be taking whatever they could get their hands on
Old 03-25-11, 01:54 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

amazing. I love Japanese culture.
Old 03-25-11, 02:08 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

150m of road reconstruction in 6 days is very efficient. It’ll be even more impressive if it’s a contracted out work but I think the government crew did the job. What Japanese people lacks is the efficiency aftermath to quickly provide earthquake victims the necessary like food, water, warm cloths, and the honesty about how f-ed up of their radioactive power plans. We all know they do and the drills and perfect it…

I remember in 2007, C C Myers, Inc. repaired a section of I-580/880 bridge deck for Caltrans at the MacArthur Maze in Alameda County collapses onto the roadway below as the result of a tanker truck fire. In 26 days, the bridge was repaired 100% and reopened to the public. (Talking about impressive and this is a concrete bridge involves curing time!!)
Old 03-26-11, 12:47 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I'd been discussing this privately and the conclusion among a few of us was that we suspect the roadway rebuild for many of these areas will be pretty amazing. Yes, that road fix was amazing. I've seen similar road projects done from year to year down in Kyushu-Kagoshima. Cal Trans at times has me

I don't know whether to parallel this with New Orleans as I feel some parts of Japan will be very slow in the recovery if at all. Depends what priority they can assign them.
Old 03-26-11, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Impressive, not only that but there is no looting, extreme violence that has been televised, problems with robbery, none of that. I'm not japanese, but it just goes to show the kind of
society the japanese live in.

America on the other hand, the day after something like this would occur, people would be taking whatever they could get their hands on
Katrina was a perfect example of that, although, to be honest, it is easy to point fingers at someone else and their looting if one has not been in the same desperate situation with electricity, phones, running water, etc.....all gone, and the family suffering and hungry.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-11 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-26-11, 07:23 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Now, if we could just get them to stop hunting whales and dolphins, I'd be very impressed!

Aside from that, I, too, like the Japanese culture and work ethics...
Old 03-27-11, 05:16 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Now, if we could just get them to stop hunting whales and dolphins, I'd be very impressed!

Well many do not know about the dolphin hunting that does on.

It is amazing that work gets done that quickly in Japan... California need to learn a thing or two from them.
Old 03-27-11, 05:41 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Good to see Japan trying to get back on their feet.

We will never see efficiency like that over here, if we did, we wouldn't have any use for the term 'government waste' anymore. The crews here make the same amount of government funded money if they work efficiently or take their time.
Old 03-27-11, 09:29 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

japan is very dedicated and efficient and will overcome all their problems.
Old 03-27-11, 10:39 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That's impressive work!

Hopefully they'll make it through this and get everything back to normal.
Old 03-28-11, 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

I don't like to see any unnecesary hunting of that type either, but fish and seafood has been a traditional part of Japanese culture for centuries. That's one reason why their health is generally good, without the numerous heart-attacks, strokes, and other cardio-vascular problems we see in this country and in Western Europe from the junk we eat. And, with good health, they work harder, miss fewer days from work, and simply accomplish more.......rebuilding the infrastructure after this earthquake/tsunami will probably be no exception.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-28-11 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-28-11, 11:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
amazing. I love Japanese culture.
yes, but like all culture's there many sides to it, good and bad.

i mean no disrespect whatsoever by what i'm about to say...

as you know, saving face and honor is very important there. but that can often cause the truth to be downplayed or outright hidden. tepco, the power company that owns those massively damaged nuclear reactors, has lied consistently about the state of things, and even the japanese govt has downplayed the dangers and does NOT have a large enough evacuation circle. they also refused help initially from the u.s. on this.

this is becoming a MAJOR MAJOR problem and radiation from there is now being detected all over the world and they still don't have a handle on things.

anyway, it's a tragic and scary situation and i hope it gets under control soon, although the repercussions will probably go on for years.
Old 03-28-11, 12:58 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's ok I expect the top officials from tepco to do the honorable thing. If not we will demand it.
Attached Thumbnails Japanese repair quake-ravaged road in just six days-seppuku_2.jpg  
Old 03-28-11, 01:27 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's very impressive but projects repairing vital road links in times of disaster should probably be compared to work that army engineers do to restore bridges and roads destroyed. I'm sure the US army could turn the work round in a similar timeframe if required.

Quick Reply: Japanese repair quake-ravaged road in just six days