Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Lexus GX460

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-11, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Review: 2011 Lexus GX460

By CL member-request, a Review of the 2011 Lexus GX460.

http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/

IN A NUTSHELL: More or less an upmarket Toyota 4Runner V8, but with some styling differentiaton, and clearly a much-more-plush Lexus interior.

I received a few CL-member-requests to review the new 2011 GX460, a mid-sized SUV that is often overlooked in the Lexus showroom. Its sales, of course, pale in comparison to the vastly more popular RX350/460h, which has clearly become one of America's best-selling luxury SUVs. The GX, for several reasons (one of them being more standard equipment), is significantly more expensive then the non-hybrid RX, but, because of lower demand and fewer sales, a GX, at deal-time, is likely to be discounted more than the hot-selling RX. Lexus has offered the GX for a number of years now, and, while not totally ignored, it has never been one of the better-sellers in the company's line-up. But, unlike the RX, the GX has a third-row seat, and can seat up to seven, if those in the third-row seat are not large adults.

The GX460, mechanically, is an old-school, truck-based, body-on-frame SUV, a type of which is rapidly disappearing in the current automotive climate. However, for those into hard-core off-roading and towing heavier loads, this is the preferred type of construction to the more car-like unibody SUV, as the rail-frames are generally more durable, and easier to repair and straighten after major accident damage. Not many SUV owners still go off-road in the old traditional manner (current estimates, except for popular off-roaders like the Jeep Wrangler), are around 4-5%), but the GX caters to those who do. For the most part, it is a converted and rebadged Toyota 4Runner, with added standard equipment, interior trim, sound insulation, the slick Lexus paint job, and, of course, the longer Lexus warranty and generally-better customer service. But the interior and overall refinement is clearly more Lexus than Toyota. However, if you are one of the minority of SUV owners who regularly go off-roading into conditions that would scratch or mar the nice trim and paint job of the GX, you might want to consider the cheaper Toyota 4Runner, which gives you the same general package and mechanics in a lower-rent version.

Two GX460 models are offered for 2011.....a Base model at $52,445, and a Premium at $57,240. Both come with full-time 4WD, a low-range for off-roading, a 4.6L V8, and a 6-speed automatic transmission....there are no manual- transmission or rear-drive models. A long list of standard and optional equipment is offered (see the web-site or brochure for details). For the revew, I chose a Base model in Tungsten (silver-gray Pearl and Black Leather/Wood interior. Even the base models can run a good chunk of cash, as mine, with options, listed for almost 59K....so make sure, before shopping for a vehicle like this, that your bank acccount can handle it. And make sure you won't mind the gas bills keeping the tank filled.....this is a serious fuel-guzzler.

So, IMO, is this ultra-plush, converted, Lexus-badged 4Runner worth its steep purchase price? Read on.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2011 Lexus GX460

BASE PRICE: $52,345 (this is slightly less, for some reason, than the $52,445 on the Lexus website)

OPTIONS:

Convenience Package: $800

HID High-Intensity Headlights: $815

NAV Package: $1990

Comfort-Plus Package:$ 1770

Preferred-Accessory Package: $250

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $875

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $58,845

DRIVETRAIN: Full-time 4WD with Torsen differential and two-speed transfer case, Longitudinally-mounted 4.6L V8, 301 HP @ 5500 RPM,
Torque 329 ft-lbs. @ 3500 RPM, 6-speed sequential-shift automatic transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 15 City / 20 Highway / 17 Combined (no, the GX is not an economy-car).

EXTERIOR COLOR: Tungsten Pearl

INTERIOR: Black Leather with Auburn Bubinga wood-trim (yes, that's what Lexus calls it)

PLUSSES: (+)

Reputation for durability.

Off-road-capable.

Good towing limits.

Superb, Audi-like wood/brushed-metal trim and fit/finish inside.

Silky-smooth drivetrain.

Smooth ride, by truck-based SUV standards.

Electronically adjustable suspension for pavement/off-road conditions.

Battery easily accessable under the hood.

Typically superb Lexus paint job and exterior trim.

Good, solid exterior sheet metal.

Well-done, convienient running-boards for easier entry/exit.

Superb Mark Levinson stereo.

Many cupholders for all three seats.

Nice-quality seat leather.

Comfortable, well-fitted lower-front-seat cushions.

Well-marked, fairly easy-to-use buttons.

Heated steering wheel and front seats.

Superbly finished wooden steering wheel.

Good front and rear headroom, even with the sunroof housing.

Scalloped front seat-backs for good rear legroom.

Clear, easy-to-read, electrolumnescent primary gauges.

Power-operated, dual-function rear cargo door.

Split-power for 3rd-row seat.

Well-finished cargo area.

A REAL spare tire/wheel.

Long Lexus 6/70 and 4/50 warranties.

MINUSES: (-)

Steep list price.

Gas-guzzling EPA mileage figures (but still no Federal Gas-Guzzler-Tax, perhaps because of its truck-based category).

Numb steering feel.

Slow steering response.

Roly-Poly handling.

High, narrow stance compromises center-of-gravity.

High hood-line out front compromises some view of the road from the drivers' seat.

More road/wind noise than usual for a Lexus.

Nose-bobbing when braking to a stop.

Annoying (IMO) zig-zag shifter pattern.

Somewhat awkward step-on parking brake.

No body-side mouldings for parking-lot ding protection.

Seven exterior paint colors (probably) not enough for a vehicle of this class.

So-so underhood layout, except for the battery.

Smallish engine-temperature and fuel gauges.

3rd-row seat primarily for Kiddies.

Right-hinged rear cargo-door opens on the wrong side for most American roads and parking spaces.

Gimmicky up/down slide-cover for stereo-controls.

Upper seat-cushion a little low for tall persons.

Very poorly-located brake pedal for large feet.

Less-expensive Lexus RX350 may (?) be a better choice for all-around daily-driving.

EXTERIOR:

Though much of the GX460 is derived from the Toyota 4Runner V8, there are some notceable differences in exterior styling......the two are not simply rebadged copies of each other. Lexus made some significant, but not huge, styling differences, to make the GX look a little cleaner and less-cluttered on the outside. The quality of the outside sheet metal seemed strong and solid, and the doors opened and shut with a fairly solid, but not rock-solid, thunk. A nice set of body-color running-boards, with black rubber foot-pads, makes getting in and out of this tall, high-stance vehicle easier, but also appears to lower ground-clearance slightly over off-road obstacles. Big, roomy wheel-wells house big, tall, high-profile tires that help smooth out the ride (more on that later), and seem to be a compromise between the traditional knobbly/off-road tread and the smooth, on-road tread of regular passenger-cars. The tread pattern is fairly quiet, but does produce some minor road noise......they are not Lexus-quiet (also more on that later). All of the exterior trim was slick, well-done, and well-attached. The two side-mirrors and their housings seemed well-designed and had a power-fold feature to make them flush with the body. Seven exterior paint colors are offered....perhaps a little miserly for a vehicle of this class. I wasn't really wild about any of the colors, though I thought that the Peridot (dark green), Starfire (white pearl), and Claret (dark red) looked better than the others, which were all shades of gray or black. The stunning Matador Red Mica that is so attractive on other Lexus models is not offered on the GX for 2011, either (Lexus marketers, that's one change you should consider for the 2012 model). Another change that should be considered is putting the side-moldings for the body back on, to help ward off parking-lot dings. Automotive cost-cutters may not think that this kind of stuff gets noticed, but I've got news for them....it DOES.

UNDERHOOD:

By upmarket-vehicle standards, which tend to cover up everything, the underhood layout is not the worst I've seen, but is still obviously not designed for ease-of-access by the owner in mind. The hood itself, with a strong, quality feeling, flips up and is held by two nice gas-struts. A nice hood-insulation pad covers the underside of the hood, and helps keep the engine itself quiet, but exhaust noise can be heard....more on that later. The battery, fortunately, off to the right front, is uncovered and easily-accessible, but most of the other underhood components are covered up by panels. The longitudinally-mounted, ubiquitous Lexus 4.6L V8 (also used in the LS and GS), fits in fairly tight, and has most of its top-components blocked by a big plastic engine-cover, though a few things can be reached on either side of the upper-block. Dipsticks and filler-caps are generally easily-accessable, but fluid-reservoirs take some hunting.

INTERIOR:

No cheap-looking 4Runner interior plastics here; the GX is a true Lexus inside, and then some. (before you guys start tossing stones at me, I'm not trying to insult 4Runner owners....just pointing out that, despite the common frame/platforms, there is simply no comparison between the two interiors). I was impressed with older GX interiors, and I'm impressed even more with the latest one. Door panels and dash have wood-trim inserts, bordered with brushed-metal trim, that is worthy of an Audi (which is considered one of the industry standards in fit/finish). The steering wheel has superbly-done leather-wrapping and a upper/lower rim of wood that is polished to perfection. Three interior leather and trim-colors are offered (see the web-site).......the light-colored interior, I thought, was the most stunning, but my test-car didn't have it. Sun-visors and ceiling-headliner both nave a nice, soft, light-color fabric. The Lexus Mark Levinson stereo is, without a doubt, one of the best factory-units in the industry.......I had some fun cranking up Quiet Riot and "Bang Your Head" Heavy Metal from the 1980's.....(for those of you who remember that group). Rear-seat passengers, of course, have their own heat and A/C controls, and an optional rear-screen video system is available. Seat-leather is attractive, feels plush, and is a long way from the MB-Tex and other fake-materials that some German automakers use in vehicles they sell at the same price as the GX. Three different leather colors are offered. Front-seat lower cushions are very comfortable and supportive, even for big torsos and rumps like mine. Most, if not all, of the interior buttons and controls were clearly marked and generally easy-to-use, though the controls for NAV screen, like those in most vehicles, needed some getting-used-to. Stereo ON/OFF and volume/tuning was easy, despite the NAV system, which, in many vehiclesn often makes it complex...just two big, easy-to-grip ***** on the center dash....if only all vehicles could do the stereo tuning like that. Headroom, both front and rear, was fine for tall people, and the clever up-down scalloping of the front seat-backs helped a lot with the rear legroom.....I had no problems there, even with my size.

And.........any negative things inside?. Yes, even for a nice plush Lexus interior, there were some. I found the front upper-seat cushions to be too short for a tall, heavy guy my size....the top of the cushion pressed into my upper-back, even with the head-rest adjusted up and out of the way. The sliding up/down cover for the stereo-buttons was, I thought, a needless gimmick. The midget fuel and engine-temperature-gauges were, IMO, a little small for easy-reading (I wear bifocals, and I might not have been able to see the individual marks without them). The shift-lever for the 6-speed automatic (the GX, despite the same 4.6L V8, doesn't get the same 8-speed that the LS460 gets) has an (IMO) annoying zig-zag shift pattern instead of the easier fore/aft motion. And the front-center-console, with several controls on it for heated seats, transfer-case 4 Hi/Lo range, and Downhill-Assist Braking, was a little wider, and took up a little more leg-space, than I thought was necessary.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The big cargo-door, in the rear, has a smart two-function mode where you can either flip-open the upper-glass part, or open the entire door to the side. The door-opening does not have power-assist like many upmarket SUVs do, but a big nice, beefy gas strut assists you in swinging it out. Like on the first-generation Honda CR-V, however, the engineers forgot to reverse the door-hinges, inner-lid-panel, and interior-linkage for the American-market version (or was it just cost-cutting?), so we get the same right-hinged version that Japanese and British/Australian customers do where they drive and park on the left side of the road. This makes it more difficult, of course, to load/unload cargo and kids in countries like America, where we usually park on the right). For most nose-in spaces like supermarket and mall-parking, though, it won't make much difference. The cargo area itself, because of the very high, squared-off roofline and conservative body design, is quite roomy, and a nice grade of black carpeting covers the whole floor (but not the walls). The 50/50 split-3rd-row seats each have a separate power-motor (a nice touch) to drop each half for added cargo-space. A tonneau-pull cover to hide valuables from prying-eyes is optional on the base-model and standard on the Premium (my GX didn't have it)....at this price, IMO, it should be standard on both. It should be noted, also, that, in spite of the roomy cargo area in back with the 3rd-row seats down, there is very little (almost nothing) with them up...so you (may), depending on the circumstances, have to choose between carrying kids and cargo. The 3rd-row seat, of course (as I just referenced) is nowhere near the size of the roomy one, say, in the Buick Enclave, and, for the most part is a Kiddie seat....you might, with some shoe-horning, get some very small adults back there. Lexus did think of both, however, with the cupholders back there.....they can accomodate either juice or coffee. Under the floor (actually, under the rear-bumper) is..........(drum roll, please)........a REAL spare tire/wheel. Fortunately, automotive cost-cutting with temporary spares, donuts, and compressed-air bottles does not seem to have reached a number of off-road-capable SUVs yet (give it time, I'm afraid). Yes, with this type of design, you may get your nice clothes dirty reaching underneath and changing the spare, especially off-road, but you'll always have another real tire there for security in an emeregency, not limited to just 50 miles at low-speeds......and, depending on the spare-wheel type provided, the extra real tire can be rotated with the other four, extending their tread-lives.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the big 4.6L V8 with your foot on the brake and pressing a START/STOP button (common in vehicles of this class), and the engine comes to life with little more than just some dash lights coming on and the tach-needle moving.....it is very smooth and quiet at idle, though not quite as tomb-quiet as in the LS460. Nor is it, on the road, as quiet as in the LS460 version...the aforementioned underhood cushion keeps the engine noise itself down, but some exhaust noise is heard, which increases with acceleration. The engine itself, with 329 ft-lbs. of torque, has a fair amount of spunk, but so does the weight of this fairly big truck-based SUV (5300-5400 lbs. empty, depending on equipment), so you're not going to win many stoplight drags. The big engine and heavy weight, of course, also means gas-guzzling fuel mileage.....and, although Lexus doesn't actually print it on the website, I think Premium fuel is required with this engine, driving up fuel-costs even more.

The 6-speed automatic transmission, typical of most Lexus models, is silky-smooth and quiet, and comes with a Manual Sport-Shift mode, but only with the lever, and no shift-paddles. Of course, this is not a sport-oriented vehicle, and I didn't miss the shift-paddes at all. The shifter, as I mentioned above, has the zig-zag pattern I'm not wild about, but the lever and handle have nice trim on them. The 6-speed automatic lacks some of the flexibility of the 8-speed unit used in the brother LS460 with the same engine, but the aerodynamics and heavy weight of the GX, IMO, probably wouldn't give it the LS460's fuel-mileage, even if the 8-speed WERE used. For most vehicles, IMO, anything over about 5 or 6 speeds just gets into overkill, unless you go all the way and use a CVT...and CVTs don't currently have the durability for high-torque, heavy vehicles.

The chassis, being rail-frame and truck-derived, generally drives and handles like one, though the ride-comfort over bumps, though not pillow-soft, was quite comfortble, especially by truck-standards, and smoother than I expected. Those aformentioned, relatively tall 265/60-18 tires, despite the unsprung-weight, and the somewhat softish suspension definitely helped. Of course, that also produced rather slow steering response and Roly-Poly handling, with marked body lean. Though, for obvious reasons, I didn't try it at the limits, I'm also a little concerned at what the vehicle's high, narrow stance does to the center-of-gravity. Consumer Reports did not mention any extreme tippiness in the handling, which could make it unsafe like in some SUVs of the past, but it does seen rather narrow for a vehicle of its height, and the standard stability system will be much-appreciated. I'd like to see the Ford/Volvo Roll-Control Stability system (which corrects for roll as well as yaw) installed, but I don't know if they still have a patent on it, especially now that Ford no longer controls Volvo. The steering, like that of the Hyundai Veracruz, is virtually numb in its road-feel, and you pretty much have to judge the response by the visual-turn-rate, not by what the system actually transmits to your senses. Road noise, perhaps due to the compromised on/off-road tread of the tires, is more noticeable than that of a number of other Lexus products, as is wind-noise. The high hood-line in front, despite the driver's high seating position (and my own 6'2" height), cuts off the view of some of the road right in front of you, so some extra care is required in looking out for potholes, road-obstacles, pedestrians, children, and cyclists. The brake pedal's location is simply awful for my big size-15 feet, with the pedal being about an inch above (and right next to, almost touching) the gas pedal. It was very hard to take my big foot off the gas without it catching hanging on the brake pedal....fortunately, I had no actual braking emergencies during the test-drive (I usually don't, except for one day, some years ago, in a late-90s Firebird Trans-Am). One other annoying feature I noticed while braking, although it was more connected to the suspension than to the brakes itself, is that just as you come to a complete stop, the front-end of the GX bobs down momentarily in a rocking motion, and then springs back up. I haven't noticed that in a test-drive since I drove the enormous Ford Excursion some years ago (I didn't do a write-up on the Expedition). The massive Excursion, though, was so heavy, (7000 lbs. +/-, compared to the GX's 5400) that the rocking motion, coming to stop, from the too-weak suspension, was more pronounced than in the GX. The Excursion's suspension was simply inadequate for its massive weight.....the GX showed some signs of that, but to a far-lesser degree, and it, overall, was far more pleasant to drive than the Excursion.

THE VERDICT:

Because of their common truck-based platform, inevitable comparisons arise between the 4Runner and the GX. But, upon actually reviewing and driving the latest-generation GX, I found it a markedly different vehicle than the 4Runner, especially in the plush, jewel-like interior trim. The exterior styling, though still truck/SUV-like, is also noticeably different. The GX, though not library-quiet, rides smoothly, comes with a lot of equipment even in its base form (so why no side-mouldings?), and generally coddles its occupants inside, though the front-seat-back cushion could be better for tall persons. Like the 4Runner, for those who go off-road, it should do pretty well (especially with its special Downhill-Assist and 4WD features), though the thought of scratching up the GX's nice paint-job and trim in the bushes is disturbing. I suspect that, like most SUV's today, it will spend most of its time in day-to-day suburban driving and shopping-malls, with its all-weather capability. Though its steering-response and handling is not good (and certainly not in the same league as that of, say, the BMW X5 or Mercedes GL), in most respects it competes very well with German, Korean, and American-nameplate upmarket SUV's. It does come at a stiff price, but so do BMW and Mercedes SUVs, and the GX's interior trim simply blows them away, especially with the cheap-feeling MB-Tex upholstery Mercedes uses. The GX also comes with the longer 6/70 and 4/50 Lexus warranty (most German SUVs get only a 4/50 bumper-to-bumper, with no added-length for the powertrain). BMW, though, generally provides more free-maintenance than Lexus does....the Lexus free-maintenance is usually for shorter intervals.

And, the GX is not an economy-car, by any stretch. You will likely spend a fair amount of money keeping the tank filled, especally if you drive a significant number of miles. Keep that in mind, with today's gas prices approaching, or in some cases at or above, $4 a gallon. However, there are also benefits to owning a vehicle like this, besides the usual Lexus atributes and high customer-service level. Like the 4Runner it was derived from, the GX is likely to be as durable and tough as nails.....used 4Runners are sold at Toyota dealers with 175-180K miles on them that still run like new. You can tow a fairly heavy boat or trailer if you need to (the GX's tow rating, with proper equipment, is some 6500 lbs.). You can haul 5 normal-sized adults and two children or very small adults if you want. You have, of course, all-weather capability. And, should you so desire, and don't mind some scratches, you can take it off-road in the boonies and probably not worry about getting it stuck.

But, here's another thing to consider.....for normal, daily-driving, especially for 5 or fewer passengers, before I went out and spent 50-60K or more on a GX460, I'd walk down to the other end of the Lexus showroom and take a good, hard look at the RX350. I've reviewed the new RX350, and was very impressed with it. Its huge sales-numbers also show that a lot of other people are impressed, too. The RX is a unibody, V6, car-based SUV, and lacks the off-road capability, 7-passenger payload, and towing strength of the GX, but not everyone needs that much today. The RX, to my senses, is extremely pleasant to drive, especially by SUV standards, almost as quiet as the LS, and its engine-noise level seems lower than that of the GX. So is its wind and road-noise level. It has a good reliability rating from Consumer Reports, and, in normal daily-driving on pavement, should be as reliable as a GX. The RX gets significantly better mileage than the GX, and can burn regular gas to boot. Best of all, unless you get the high-zoot, complex RX460h Hybrid, a regular RX350 will run about $10,000 or so less than a GX....in the 40s, instead of the 50s.

And, as always, Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-11 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-19-11, 06:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Thanks for the review...
Old 03-19-11, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
Thanks for the review...
Sure....anytime.
Old 03-19-11, 06:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Technically, both 4Runner and GX run on Prado platform, 4Runner on very simplified version of it which doesnt have a lot to do with GX... while Prado and GX are quite similar, same as old generation GX.
Old 03-19-11, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Technically, both 4Runner and GX run on Prado platform, 4Runner on very simplified version of it which doesnt have a lot to do with GX... while Prado and GX are quite similar, same as old generation GX.
Of course, we don't get the Prado in the U.S. I know that the inevitable comparisons between the 4Runner and the GX come up (there are many of them, of course, right here in the CL threads). But, when you look at the two closely (and the FJ Cruiser also comes from the same platform), it's obvious there are differences among the three of them (and the Prado)......I tried to point out at least some of them in the review. But, once you get in the GX, the plush interior, in an instant, makes you forget the others, unless you are really in love with the FJ Cruiser's funky retro-styling like some people are.
Old 03-19-11, 08:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews, by CL-member-request:

2011 Toyota Avalon

2012 Ford Focus (when it is released)

2011 (2012?) Dodge Durango R/T (when it is released)
Old 03-19-11, 08:48 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

One part of the 4Runner is the lower internal trim makes one see it casually...interpret that as accept abuse it since it isn't as plush as a Lexus. When I was shooting around Tahoe and Nor Cal one winter, wife was saying we really could use an off road capable vehicle. The 4Runner would lend itself where the GX would get similar care as any on road Lexus. Keeping it nice in other words. I would still have reservations about the brush driving where it would potentially scratch paint.

The AWD RX350 has much appeal for light off road jaunts. It still maintains that road like drive characteristic for the majority of typical uses. Then has the ground clearance for some gentle off pavement runs. As mentioned, the gas mileage makes it a nice alternative. (Wife loves the RX BTW.)
Old 03-19-11, 08:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm trying to like this GX as much as the original GX470, but I can't seem to do so! The placement of the HID projector makes the whole front end look really ugly/retarded
Old 03-19-11, 09:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm trying to like this GX as much as the original GX470, but I can't seem to do so! The placement of the HID projector makes the whole front end look really ugly/retarded
You also pay for those HID lights. On the GX, they are an $815 option.
Old 03-19-11, 09:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
One part of the 4Runner is the lower internal trim makes one see it casually...interpret that as accept abuse it since it isn't as plush as a Lexus. When I was shooting around Tahoe and Nor Cal one winter, wife was saying we really could use an off road capable vehicle. The 4Runner would lend itself where the GX would get similar care as any on road Lexus. Keeping it nice in other words. I would still have reservations about the brush driving where it would potentially scratch paint.
Yes, that's why I said, in the review, that it you are an off-road junkie, you might want to save some money and extra-worry over the GX's nicer-trim by simply getting a 4Runner (or an FJ Cruiser, which is done on the same platform). At least, though, with the GX, should you decide to actually GO off-road, you'll have a plush, comfortable off-roader that, unlike the also-plush, comfortable Land Rovers, won't spend more time in the repair-shop than out.

The AWD RX350 has much appeal for light off road jaunts. It still maintains that road like drive characteristic for the majority of typical uses. Then has the ground clearance for some gentle off pavement runs. As mentioned, the gas mileage makes it a nice alternative. (Wife loves the RX BTW.)
No argumants there. Hey, I think the world of the RX350....it's a great machine. I wish that Lexus, though, would do a version of the Toyota Venza....it would give the RX's versatility and all-weather traction without the higher-stance of a true SUV.
Old 03-19-11, 10:08 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GX is a great SUV for those who really want the body-on-frame macho and don't want to give up on gadgets and luxury. The GX/LC-Prado platform is a proven warrior.

For most people who rarely (meaning never) go off-road and don't need 7 seats, the RX is the more refined and practical car, for a lot less money.
Old 03-19-11, 10:09 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Next planned reviews, by CL-member-request:

2011 Toyota Avalon

2012 Ford Focus (when it is released)

2011 (2012?) Dodge Durango R/T (when it is released)
The Durango is at dealers, they have plenty of them
Old 03-19-11, 10:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
The Durango is at dealers, they have plenty of them
The Durango R/T? I'll have to check on that....and see if dealers here in VA, or nearby MD, have them. If so, I can maybe get to it shortly....I've got a CL-member request for the R/T.
Old 03-19-11, 10:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superchan7
The GX is a great SUV for those who really want the body-on-frame macho and don't want to give up on gadgets and luxury. The GX/LC-Prado platform is a proven warrior.
The 4Runner and FJ Cruiser are more on the macho end of the spectrum. The plush, well-trimmed GX, despite being done on the same platform, is more like a WWE wrestler dressed in a formal buisness-suit or tux.

For most people who rarely (meaning never) go off-road and don't need 7 seats, the RX is the more refined and practical car, for a lot less money.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 03-20-11, 09:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

unless you need its serious off-road capabilities, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense with today's competitors. it's not the best 7 seater. it drinks gas. it's body on frame. it's funky looking.

an rx350 or better, rx450h, or even an explorer, esp. with awd, will be 80% as good off road as the GX (unless you're seriously off road in ditches and steep inclines with rocks, etc., something 99.9% of owners never do ) as well as more fuel efficient and cheaper.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Lexus GX460