Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas Treatment on a NEW Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 07:11 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Gas Treatment on a NEW Car

Wondering what's the consensus on using any type of gas treatment on a NEW vehicle to help maintain and keep the fuel/intake manifold from building up deposits etc.
Normally, I like using Lucas fuel treatment, but it's not about the brand as it is action of using any kind of fuel addative.
Old 03-08-11, 07:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think all the additives are a waste of money, just use a quality gasoline like Chevron with techron.
Old 03-08-11, 08:49 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The additive that Chevron puts into their gasoline is diluted. Using quality gas alone will not really stop carbon buildup from occurring. Gasoline will leave a byproduct when it's burned whether you get your gas from Arco or Chevron.

The general consensus that additives are a waste because many of them have very weak cleaning ability. The better cleaners out there contains a hefty amount of PEA which is effective for cleaning. Redline SI-1, Gumout Regane, older Chevron Techron, etc are some of the cleaners that work well.

Also, people are expecting a single bottle of treatment to do magic. It will not add power, but only restore. Using fuel cleaners once in a while will prevent excessive buildups.
Old 03-08-11, 08:52 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX469
Wondering what's the consensus on using any type of gas treatment on a NEW vehicle to help maintain and keep the fuel/intake manifold from building up deposits etc.
Normally, I like using Lucas fuel treatment, but it's not about the brand as it is action of using any kind of fuel addative.

Brand does matter. Some of the STP stuff are nothing but kerosene, which won't do a darn thing to carbon build-up.

Also, the additive you put in your gas tank may clean only what the gasoline touches. It won't reach the intake manifold at all, at least most of it.
Old 03-08-11, 09:37 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want to eliminate carbon buildup or rather clean it try a seafoam treatment.
Old 03-08-11, 09:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
I think all the additives are a waste of money, just use a quality gasoline like Chevron with techron.
Agreed, that has worked for me (using Chevron exclusively) over last couple of decades. I never pay for additional treatments or injector cleanings, and have had no problems.
Old 03-08-11, 12:04 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use premium shell/chevron fuel only. On my old car i put in a bottle of Chevron Techron additive before (Almost) every oil change and i never had a problem with over 150k miles on the motor. Some people say it won't do anything, others think it does. It's up to you though, i felt better using shell/chevron premium only and using the additive and without any engine problems after 150k miles, i will probably keep doing the same on my IS.
Old 03-09-11, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Most of the posters here are correct. Use a good-quality name-brand fuel regularly that has a good detergent package in it (Shell and Chevron are probably the two best), and you will minimize the chances of having to have a fuel-system cleaning in the first place.
Don't try and save a few cents on each gallon by filling up at Smiling Sam's cut-rate station down the street....that is often a recipe for carbon build-up in the engine and fuel-system, particularly the injectors.
Old 03-09-11, 09:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I've always used Chevron and I've never had any clogging problems. No need for additives if you stick with this fuel.
Old 03-10-11, 09:09 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
if you want to eliminate carbon buildup or rather clean it try a seafoam treatment.
I agree MMarshall that most of the posters here are correct, however my thought process follows that of bad co, which is, the intake manifold without a doubt will have eventual carbon build-up, no matter if it's ONLY Chevron gasoline used from day 1.
So would Seafoam or BG Fuel Induction System Cleaner be products to keep systems like: Throttle bodies, Intake Valves, Ports, Combustion chamber etc. from having much carbon build-up?
Old 03-10-11, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX469
I agree MMarshall that most of the posters here are correct, however my thought process follows that of bad co, which is, the intake manifold without a doubt will have eventual carbon build-up, no matter if it's ONLY Chevron gasoline used from day 1.
So would Seafoam or BG Fuel Induction System Cleaner be products to keep systems like: Throttle bodies, Intake Valves, Ports, Combustion chamber etc. from having much carbon build-up?
Getting the engine fully warm regularly, to regular operating temperature (190-220 degrees), as opposed to a lot of cold-starts and short trips in cold weather, will lessen the tendency to get deposits, even in the manifold.
Old 03-10-11, 11:55 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Pouring mystery fuel additiives in a new car (while under warranty) could lead to warranty voiding incident, best avoided. Not to mention the money not wasted on overpriced unneeded products too.
Old 03-10-11, 04:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I wouldn't necessarily say it voids the warranty, considering Toyota/Lexus sells their own fuel injector cleaner.

Some cleaners on the market are more effective at cleaning than the additive in 'quality' gasoline. And yes, injectors flow rate does decrease even if you've used Chevron, Shell, etc. It's not going to clog the injector to the point where the car stops running, but it's there.
Old 03-10-11, 04:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^ Of course gas treatments don't automatically void a warranty, to void a warranty requires proof that the customer did something directly related to the problem identified. But I don't want some mystery treatment added to my Lexus (while under warranty or even out of warranty) in case a problem occurs that could be traced to the mystery treatment. Obviously a treatment sold by the Toyota/Lexus dealership is a zero risk alternative for those that insist on the treatment (good suggestion btw in relation to OP's topic).

Clogging that is there (supposedly and in theory per the sales pitch) means nothing to the measurable performance/economy of the car during my lifetime, not a concern for those of us using exclusively correct grade of Chervon. My exhaust system has stuff there too, but I'm not paying to have the inside of it cleaned out.

But of course, I know the "feel good" factor about this type of stuff has merit from a marketing standpoint, and certainly boosts supplier profits.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-10-11 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-10-11, 04:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If you DO get clogging in the injectors or elsewhere in the fuel system (which is likely with cheap cut-rate gas), and DO need a cleaner, BG-44K is an excellent product. Motorweek's Pat Goss (who does weekly radio and TV auto repair/maintenance call-in shows) highly recommends it, and I have talked with a number of service technicians and service managers who also think very highly of it. It is not available in most auto-parts stores, though, and is generally used only in service shops.

Quick Reply: Gas Treatment on a NEW Car