Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A sentimental goodbye to the last Ford Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-12, 08:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default A sentimental goodbye to the last Ford Ranger

A sentimental goodbye to the last Ford Ranger

It's been more than five months since the Twin Cities Assembly Plant in St. Paul, Minnesota went dark. The facility produced Ford vehicles for nearly 100 years before finally being closed as part of ongoing restructuring. The closure coincided with the production of the very last North American Ford Ranger.

As you may recall, that machine is currently in service with Orkin. The website HappyWrenching.com has worked up a video commemorating the plant's final days in operation, and the clip gives us all a look into the atmosphere surrounding the pickup as it rolled off of the assembly line.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=E9vMQ2hVBgE

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2010-...photo-1338972/

Source:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/27/a...t-ford-ranger/
Old 05-27-12, 08:46 PM
Hoovey689

I really wish Ford wouldn't abandon the small truck market especially with the design and engineering they've implemented as of late. Of course if they can find a way to make the F-150 more efficient in the next generation they could really justify dropping the Ranger
Old 05-27-12, 11:32 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wish they brought the new 2012 ranger to the states

Old 05-27-12, 11:57 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^WTF. That one actually looks pretty bad-***!!!

That would be a hit with teenage kids!
Old 05-28-12, 04:24 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I never drove one, but I saw tons of rangers in the Philippines, which look a lot different than the Ranger here in the states(in a good way, IMHO), and were available with optional 2.5 or 3.0 liter diesel engines.

The Ranger's demise was inevitable, with the Ecoboost in the F150 getting comparable mileage. I think the Dodge Dakota was discontinued too, and the Colorado/Canyon are probably following close.
Old 05-28-12, 05:26 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Wish they brought the new 2012 ranger to the states

You and me both, friend.

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I never drove one, but I saw tons of rangers in the Philippines, which look a lot different than the Ranger here in the states(in a good way, IMHO), and were available with optional 2.5 or 3.0 liter diesel engines.

The Ranger's demise was inevitable, with the Ecoboost in the F150 getting comparable mileage. I think the Dodge Dakota was discontinued too, and the Colorado/Canyon are probably following close.
My take on the US market Ranger...too much money, not enough truck.

Seriously, loaded out, they could approach 30 grand. They got the fuel economy of a full size and can only haul 1/4 the stuff. If they had put a 4 banger diesel or a full 4 door cab option on it (like the taco), it might have saved it. Hell, even just a better interior all around might have done the job. But IMO when they brought out the Explorer sport trac, and then equipped that with a V8 option, they killed their own Ranger. People don't care about the details like frame type/weight class etc when they are buying a truck this small. They either buy a truck this small in base form because they intend to beat the **** out of it, or because they dont want to drive a full size but still want a pickup. That is a very small margin of buyers. I would say at least 80% of ranger sales in the last 5 years were fleet/rental sales anyway--I have no stats to back up that claim though, just my educated guess.

The Dodge (now Ram) Dakota is still around, and about to be redesigned again with inspiration from the '10+ Durango...watch, it will likely be an instant hit. However, the Dakota fits into a niche market. It is a "mid-sized" truck, not a compact. It offers 4 full doors, bed options the same length as the full size, but narrower than a full size, and at the same time it is wider than a compact. The Dakota is the only TRUE mid-sized truck on the market today. While the Tacoma is/was (last I checked) still a small pickup. The Toyota T-100 was the last truck on the market that competed with it in the mid-sized market, which, again, is a very small market.

Long term prediction?: The only vehicle that will survive long term in this segment is the Toyota Tacoma, and even that will meet its demise if they don't redesign the damn thing. It has looked nearly identical since 2005, its looking pretty dated at this point. Nissan isn't selling enough frontier's to warrant keeping them around too much longer, and the GMC/Chevy is not selling well either.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 05-28-12 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-28-12, 05:27 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wish Ford brought the new Ranger to force Toyota to up its game on the Tacoma. I know the Tacoma is the #1 truck in the segment, but I mean, come on. Toyota could still do more if there was a strong competitor to challenge them.

Hopefully the new Chevy Colorado will do it. Looks a little too "soft" for me though.

ArmyofOne, the Dakota is currently gone.
Old 05-28-12, 06:05 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I liked the older looking Dakotas(think 1980s). In HS I kind of wanted one with the 5.2 V8. Then I remembered that buying an 80's dodge is taking a huge roll of the dice.

If my job situation improves, I may sell my Lexus and buy either a small pickup(probably a Ranger) or some sort of small SUV. I was really impressed this weekend with the 99 Montero Sport that my dad bought for just beating around off road. It has 275k miles and it doesn't rattle at all on the highway, the AC works, AND it runs pretty decent(once we fixed a loose ignition coil).
Old 05-28-12, 11:17 PM
Hoovey689

The 2.0L EcoBoost 240hp/270lbft would have made a peppy powertrain in a new Ranger
Old 05-29-12, 06:37 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

ArmyofOne, the Dakota is currently gone.
is it? I wasnt aware the discontinued it. See what being in the sandbox for a year does?
Old 05-29-12, 07:09 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I see everyone is forgetting the Nissan Frontier, which is the best small truck.
Old 05-29-12, 09:23 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Och
I see everyone is forgetting the Nissan Frontier, which is the best small truck.
lol no thanks