Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

European Honda Accord (TSX in U.S.) facelift debuts in Geneva

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 07:02 AM
LexFather

Post European Honda Accord (TSX in U.S.) facelift debuts in Geneva

The New Honda Accord Debuts at Geneva

The revised Honda Accord sedan and Tourer models will make their debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March. Both cars receive a host of changes with the styling, emissions, ride and handling all enhanced for 2011.

Summary of Changes:
• Revised exterior styling
• Detail changes to interior finishes
• Improvements to emissions and economy on all engines
• 138 g/km 2.2 i-DTEC introduced
• Ride and handling improvements for all models
• Auto High-Beam Support System and Active Cornering Lights debut on Accord
• 180 PS Type S model now available across Europe with bespoke interior and exterior styling

Exterior Design
Both the sedan and Tourer have benefitted from small but noticeable changes to the head lights and bumpers to complement the changes under the skin. The head lights have been given a cleaner, crisper appearance with the previously amber indicators now in a clear finish. On top grade cars the lights are now bi-xenon and feature Active Cornering Lights to improve night time visibility. The grille has been subtly remodelled with the two central spars finished in the same chrome material as the outer grille, for a sportier look. The cooling duct and fog light recesses on all models have been re-profiled with the taper of these areas given a more aggressive line, giving the car a more planted appearance.

The rear of the sedan model has been subtly enhanced with the rear lights having a light red finish for the reversing light and indicators to match that of the fog light, giving a balance to the rear styling. The exclusive styling of the sedan is rounded off with a light chrome garnish above the rear licence plate on most models and a dark chrome finish on Type S grade cars. The new exterior design cues are finished off with three new colours consisting of Alabaster Silver, Graphite Lustre and Celestial Blue Pearl added to the line up.

Interior Design
The exterior styling changes have been complemented by a number of subtle changes to the interior with most grades having new seat materials and door linings, changing the ambience of the cabin. Type S models have exclusive half leather, seats in a dark grey finish and a black head lining to further distinguish the top grade. The metal-look finish interior trim that covers the hand brake, gear lever surround, steering wheel garnish, door inlays, with a red background and sweeps up across the centre of the dash is now in a darker hue, to complement the new interior fabrics. The footwells of the majority of models are now illuminated blue if the headlights are on and red on Type S models.

Fuel Economy and Emission Improvements
The refined 2.2 litre 150 PS i-DTEC diesel engine has had internal frictional losses reduced to improve fuel economy and emissions. The result of these changes is an 9 g/km drop in CO2 emissions for the sedan with the 6-speed manual transmission and an 11 g/km reduction for the automatic variant. These internal changes have been combined with a host of underbody aerodynamic aids, including a larger front air dam, underfloor and a rear subframe cover Honda's engineers have also put effort into reducing the frictional losses in the wheels and tyres with low friction wheel bearings and reduced rolling resistance tyres. Accords equipped with Automatic transmission have also benefitted from minimised frictional losses in the gearbox and optimised ratios to improve economy and emissions.

Quieter Cabin
The already impressive NVH performance of the current Accord has been further improved with the adoption of higher density foam in the under bonnet and dashboard areas. The underfloor noise insulation has also been revised and teamed with additional sound deadening shields on the DPF and exhaust manifold cover of the diesel engine. The suite of noise reductions techniques is completed with a small 0.9 mm increase in the thickness of the rear window glass, improving the rear passenger experience.

Chassis
Engineers from Japan worked with their counterparts in Germany and the UK to further refine the dampers of the Accord Tourer and sedan for the vast range of road conditions found in Europe. Detailed refinement of the dual mode dampers has given improvement in both high speed stability for highway driving and a significant improvement in ride quality, even over poor road surfaces.

Active Cornering Lights
One of the most visible changes to the top of the range Accords is the addition of Active Cornering Lights, which provide enhanced illumination when the vehicle is turning. Additional lights units have been subtly integrated into the existing lights units, casting all of their light to the side of the vehicle to help the driver in low visibility conditions. The light unit on the relevant side will be illuminated when the driver activates the indicators in that direction or turns the steering wheel more than 90 degrees. When the vehicle is in reverse, both lights will be activated to give a good view to either side of the driver.

High-Beam Support System
Another new lighting technology for Honda is the High Beam Support system, which is fitted on vehicles with the bi-xenon headlights. This system is controlled by a CMOS camera fitted to the windscreen in the area of the driver rear view mirror. The camera detects oncoming headlights or the taillights of a vehicle in front and automatically dips the headlights onto their normal setting if they are on high-beam. This allows the driver to fully concentrate on the road conditions, without having to manually control the high-beam setting.

The new Accord goes on sale across Europe from April this year.

Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11102273...#ixzz1FvTtel98

Old 03-07-11, 07:20 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TSX is going look a lot nicer
Old 03-07-11, 07:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I really dislike the lip on the rear bumper. Reminds me of something.
Old 03-07-11, 07:55 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Accord keeps looking better and better every gen!
Old 03-07-11, 09:47 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice indeed.

The Acura version though will sadly still have that stupid front beak
Old 03-07-11, 11:16 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that's stock? That's sexy! The front grill reminds me of the smiling TL though.
Old 03-07-11, 11:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DigitalDon
Wow that's stock? That's sexy! The front grill reminds me of the smiling TL though.

Old 03-07-11, 11:32 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

so whats the american accord going to look like?
Old 03-07-11, 11:38 AM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
Ditto on this question, but if it's anything like the one pictured in the OP, then I think it's going to look great!

Turby
Old 03-07-11, 11:53 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

This looks better than the current generation with the weird buggy headlights
Old 03-07-11, 12:34 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
Originally Posted by Turbinator
Ditto on this question, but if it's anything like the one pictured in the OP, then I think it's going to look great!

Turby
The American Honda Accord already got its facelift which was pretty subtle. The thing is there is no Acura outside of the United States so basically the TSX over here is the Honda Accord in Europe. Thus, this facelift should be expected on next year's Acura TSX.
Old 03-07-11, 12:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A slightly better-looking TSX to me.
Old 03-07-11, 08:33 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't like it at first, but I have to say it's really grown on me.
Old 03-07-11, 08:47 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice looking tsx
Old 03-07-11, 08:58 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

If it is the TSX, it's a nice look. The rear definitely has the TSX look already, but the additional styling on the bottom part of the bumper reminds me somewhat of BMW with the 3 series. Another Type S badge to make its way to Honda/Acura after the RSX got axed.

Quick Reply: European Honda Accord (TSX in U.S.) facelift debuts in Geneva