ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Which Cars Have The Best/Strongest Air Conditioning Systems? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/556897-which-cars-have-the-best-strongest-air-conditioning-systems.html)

Rolexus600 03-05-11 06:24 PM

Which Cars Have The Best/Strongest Air Conditioning Systems?

I've heard Cadillac's had extremely large blowers and chill the interior pretty quickly. I know my friends with BMWs complain about the A/C units in their cars.

How do our Lexus vehicles A/C units technically compare? How about Lincoln, Jag and MB?

Michael

TwiBlueG35 03-05-11 07:28 PM

Lexus' is quieter even on full power, much quieter than BMW 5-series's. That's what I can tell you.

GSteg 03-05-11 08:19 PM

Some of the newer Honda AC blows ridiculously cold compared to the Lexus I've been in. They are cold almost instantly.

IS-SV 03-05-11 09:40 PM

With modern top-rated cars of last 5 years, the differences are minor from what I've observed.

UDel 03-05-11 09:42 PM

My GS430 blows very cold pretty quickly when the AC servo motor is working properly although sometimes it sounds like mice are running around in the dash when the AC servo is acting up.

Larger GM cars and trucks are known to have pretty cold AC systems.

KillaIS250 03-05-11 10:22 PM

My gf's 02 Acura TL had really cold A/C. I loved the A/C in that car during summer time. The coldest A/C tho has to go to the GMC Yukon for me. My cousin in TX has one and the air conditioning is so cold at max lo that you have to turn the vents away a bit lol

bnizzle87 03-05-11 10:27 PM

I second UDel. My buddy's Denali gets cold instantly, though loud sometimes. I'll admit Lexus just sounds quiet and blows cold air rather quickly but not too cold- just right IMO. I'm more impressed with the front windshield defogger on those early start mornings. It defogs pretty fast in my F and even in our ES when we had it.

Och 03-05-11 10:30 PM

Bigger, more powerful engine = bigger accessories, including AC.

Don't expect a good AC in a 1.2 Liter econocrapbucket. Also don't expect a good AC in a high performance oriented car, as they often use smaller accessories that don't rob too much engine torque.

Pretty much any family car with 8, 6 or even reasonably sized 4 cylinder engine will have great AC.

ninous26 03-06-11 12:11 AM

The ac in my moms RX seems to blow cold are pretty fast.. It's better than my old G35.. However once the AC got up and running in the G it blew some pretty nice cold air, better than the lexus.

Overall I liked the RX AC better.

The best AC i've seen is in American cars.. It always comes out fast, strong and very cold.. It's a toss up between Cadillac and Lincoln IMO

oldcajun 03-06-11 06:51 AM

By far the best auto A/C I have ever used is in the Lexus RX hybrid. It is driven by an electric motor rather than the engine so it is not dependent on engine speed. It cools just as well at idle (or engine off) as it does at higher speeds. There is also no vibration from the engine driven compressor at idle.
Steve

RXGS 03-06-11 07:02 AM

From what i've experienced, the a/c in older vw's and audi's sucks, best a/c was in a lincoln town car

GSteg 03-06-11 07:33 AM

Actually come to think of it, the coldest I've experienced was my old 1985 Dodge Caravan. It was still running the older R12 refrigerant and that system blew so cold in the summer that it was unbearable. It dwarfs my GS's AC by a long shot, but it was slightly louder. I don't mind having it a little loud though, if it keeps my Johnson cool in the middle of summer.

Vladi 03-06-11 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35 (Post 6199238)
Lexus' is quieter even on full power, much quieter than BMW 5-series's. That's what I can tell you.

That's true IS, GS and LS have probably the quietest AC on the market and BMW has the worst system across their whole lineup (didn't experience it on new 7). Its been like that for last two gens. As a matter of fact when I first compared Lexus and BMW back to back like 6-7 years ago that was the first thing i've noticed :)

I am not sure how new Acuras work, they used to be quiet too.

golfpunks 03-06-11 07:51 AM

best ac i ever experienced was my 92 corolla running on the older ac system,, that thing blew so cold, if the vent hit my skin,, it hurt!! best ac ever!!!