Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
Which Cars Have The Best/Strongest Air Conditioning Systems? >

Which Cars Have The Best/Strongest Air Conditioning Systems?

Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which Cars Have The Best/Strongest Air Conditioning Systems?

Old 03-06-11, 01:03 PM
lamar411
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My RX is pretty good, but can get a little loud IMO.
Old 03-06-11, 01:27 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthach View Post
Best - older Mercedes on R12, Prius, transit/tour bus with a Carrier or Thermo King bay-mount system, Crown Vics, Sienna, Quest

Worst - Honda, VW
agreed on the older Mercedes...

that 560SEL froze my nuts off on 100F+ days
Old 03-06-11, 02:45 PM
Marzabella
Rookie

My parents had an old ford fairlane (australian) that actually iced up under the dash, fairly chilly. Worst airconditioning without doubt goes to the entire volvo 2 series, we had them from '77 264GL to '92 240GLE, heater hot enough to melt lead but the aircon felt like warm breath up your shorts.
Old 03-06-11, 10:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV View Post
With modern top-rated cars of last 5 years, the differences are minor from what I've observed.

Basically, I would agree, although, in general, my experience over many years, both from test-drives and from personal ownership, is that Lexus/Toyota and American-designed GM products have the strongest A/C. The A/C units in my Lexus IS300, Toyota Celica, and other Toyota products I and my family have owned have all been first-rate. The one in my Lexus IS300 was especially good....it would blow continuously ice-cold in the worst tropical-like heat and humidity you could imagine in a D.C. summer. The IS300's heater was also impressive....it would blow furnace-hot in way-below-freezing temperatures. My only complaint with the IS300's system was its annoying tendency to automatically switch to recirculate-only when you didn't want it......you often had to switch back to outside-air manually. My Outback, being designed for winter conditions like most Subarus, also has a hot-air output worthy of a politician....but its A/C unit, with an up-and-down cold/tepid cycle every 15-20 seconds or so, is adequate, but can't compare with a Lexus system (this was normal for the 3Gen Legacy/Outback).

I've also found many GM climate-control systems, over the years, to be impressive, but, as you indicated in your post, compared to those of all vehicles as a whole, that was somewhat more true in the past than now.
Old 03-06-11, 10:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The weakest output A/C systems in last 20 years were probably the air-cooled Porsches. The water-cooled Porsches (model years 97/99 on) have suprisingly cold systems.
Old 03-06-11, 10:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The weakest output A/C systems in last 20 years were probably the air-cooled Porsches.
This is helped, though, somewhat, by the fact that, Cayenne and Panamera excepted, most Porsche products have small cabins inside to heat up, so the comparably weak output still doesn't take all day to cool things down.
Old 03-07-11, 08:00 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
This is helped, though, somewhat, by the fact that, Cayenne and Panamera excepted, most Porsche products have small cabins inside to heat up, so the comparably weak output still doesn't take all day to cool things down.
The Cayene and Panamera (like the new 911s and Boxsters, post 97/98) are water-cooled. Go back and look at my comment on weak output and you will notice it's about the air-cooled Porsches (only) and weak output. The air-cooled Porsches had weak A/C systems that were more of an afterthought for American tastes. Air-cooled Porsches did take all day to cool down the cabin and in really hot weather, never got the cabin cooled down to a comfortable temperature.

Your comment on small cabins does apply to the modern water-cooled Boxster. It has the same A/C system of the bigger (interior-wise specifically) 911 and cools the interior very fast and very cold.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-07-11 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 11:00 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

they're all pretty good today, but i was always blown away (literally ) by Cadillac a/c.
Old 03-07-11, 01:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Cayene and Panamera (like the new 911s and Boxsters, post 97/98) are water-cooled. Go back and look at my comment on weak output and you will notice it's about the air-cooled Porsches (only) and weak output. The air-cooled Porsches had weak A/C systems that were more of an afterthought for American tastes. Air-cooled Porsches did take all day to cool down the cabin and in really hot weather, never got the cabin cooled down to a comfortable temperature.

Your comment on small cabins does apply to the modern water-cooled Boxster. It has the same A/C system of the bigger (interior-wise specifically) 911 and cools the interior very fast and very cold.
Yes, I know. I think you misunderstood my comment. You are correct that air-cooled Porsches took much longer to cool (and heat) the cabins, but my point was the the small size of many Porsche interiors obviously did not make that as much of an issue as it would have been otherwise, say, if you were trying to heat or cool the cabin of a Chevy Suburban.

Having to drive a hundered miles in the winter, BTW, to get any heat out of the system was not confined to air-cooled Porsches, of course. The classic VW Beetle was notorious for that (though you could say that the air-cooled Beetle had an engine similiar to that of early Porsches). And slow heat or A/C was not the only climate-control ailment related to that air-cooled design. If the exhaust system had the tiniest hole or was not sealed 100% perfect (and, because of that engine's classic vibration, it often wasn't), the air from the fan, blowing across the exhaust shroud to pick up heat, also blew carbon-monoxide from the exhaust into the cabin, so you had the possible hazards of that as well. The early Chevy Corvairs, which had a Beetle-type (but larger) air-cooled flat-six, tried to get around both problems with a separate, gasoline-fueled cabin-heater, but, of course, that just traded one hazard for another.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-07-11 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 01:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
Yes, I know. I think you misunderstood my comment. You are correct that air-cooled Porsches took much longer to cool (and heat) the cabins, but my point was the the small size of many Porsche interiors obviously did not make that as much of an issue as it would have been otherwise, say, if you were trying to heat or cool the cabin of a Chevy Suburban.

I understood your comment about small cabin size being quicker to cool, certainly valid point but nothing to do with problem of AC in air-cooled Porsches that could barely cool even the tiny cabins of the 911. Or in other words even with small cabin sizes the AC output was unacceptable.

But as I stated originally, air-cooled Porsches probably had the worst A/C output of any factory air system in the last 20 years for a production car sold in US, (regardless of cabin size).
Old 03-07-11, 07:20 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

^^ I hear you on that. I took my friend's ES330 to Vegas when the temperature soared to 112F and the AC was almost useless. It felt more like a warm breeze than anything. But I wasn't complaining because it was still much better than having no AC.
Old 03-07-11, 10:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg View Post
^^ I hear you on that. I took my friend's ES330 to Vegas when the temperature soared to 112F and the AC was almost useless. It felt more like a warm breeze than anything. But I wasn't complaining because it was still much better than having no AC.
A Lexus with crappy A/C? That doesn't happen very often......unless something in the unit needs repair or the freon-level is low. And, besides, the heat in Las Vegas, even at well over 100 degrees, is usually a very dry heat, which makes it easier for the A/C unit to cool than the tropical-like, sauna-bath humidity we typically get with summer heat here on the East Coast.
Old 03-08-11, 12:07 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

It's not crappy, but it wasn't the coolest I've experienced in that kind of heat. I've had better luck with my Odyssey where it would literally blow cold air. Both the Honda and Lexus are 2005 models with no mechanical problems at all.
Old 03-08-11, 07:30 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

A black (exterior color) car is more difficult to cool in sunny weather.
Old 03-08-11, 08:38 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My family used to own an Opel van back in the early 90s in China (the ones riding on 100/50/14 tires lol) and the AC was horrible, it never did anything cept to move the air about so you dont feel like you are in a sauna.

Then when we test drive a Citron a few years later, the AC cooled the car so much it was freezing inside the cabin... WOW! Obviously the Citron we got didn't end up with such a good AC unit...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Cars Have The Best/Strongest Air Conditioning Systems?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: