ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   wow the new ford focus parks itself!!!wtf (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/556637-wow-the-new-ford-focus-parks-itself-wtf.html)

gs4mock2 03-04-11 10:42 AM

wow the new ford focus parks itself!!!wtf

lexus better step its game lol.....

GLIDESUL 03-04-11 03:00 PM

Next you know cars will be driving there selves.

honeygee2 03-04-11 03:06 PM

And the hyundai Elantra is coming out soon in a coupe model.

caddyowner 03-04-11 04:25 PM

That's because Ford Focus owners don't know how to parallel park except by touch. Let's encourage this technology in all cars for young drivers and save our bumpers.

xuserx04 03-04-11 04:49 PM

Lol park assist on a focus? Thats just dumb. On something the size of a Mayback yeah maybe but on a focus? Come on.

Kansas 03-04-11 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by xuserx04 (Post 6196761)
Lol park assist on a focus? Thats just dumb. On something the size of a Mayback yeah maybe but on a focus? Come on.

Why is it "dumb"? Parking a small car in a small space is just as difficult as parking a large car in a large space. It just goes to show how cheap and ordinary this technology is.

AlexusAnja 03-04-11 05:06 PM

Wow... wonder how much of a "premium" price that it would cost. Since we live in the state of mall, there isn't much parallel parking so divide the times we would parallel by the cost, it might come out to $800/park. Might be cheaper just paying someone to park you car... :)

xuserx04 03-04-11 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kansas (Post 6196772)
Why is it "dumb"? Parking a small car in a small space is just as difficult as parking a large car in a large space. It just goes to show how cheap and ordinary this technology is.

Sorry, let me rephrase that. A person who needs this technology to park a focus is dumb and should not be behind the wheel of a car.

Kansas 03-04-11 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by xuserx04 (Post 6196918)
Sorry, let me rephrase that. A person who needs this technology to park a focus is dumb and should not be behind the wheel of a car.

That's being awfully harsh. Technology like this would help my less than five foot tall wife who has difficulty telling where the back of her car is and my parents and other older relatives and millions of others who are in their 80's and 90's and still driving. It might help you and me too since fewer people might crashing into our bumpers!

Do you also dislike Park-Assist? - the little sensors in the front and rear bumpers that cause an alarm to beep or show the distance to an object in front or behind you?

And what do you think about windshield wipers? Or rear view mirrors? Back in the 1960's my drivers ed teacher told me that rear view mirrors were not allowed where he lived when he was a kid in the 1920's -- the mirrors were called "cop spotters".

caddyowner 03-04-11 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by xuserx04 (Post 6196918)

Unless you can successfully back into a 90-degree parking space and parallel park, you don't get in license in our state. I'm sure they don't allow automatic parking systems at the test. However, since most folks seldom parallel park anymore, they can't do it anymore.

CarGuy89 03-04-11 08:05 PM

While it's great to see all this high tech filter down to mainstream cars, I'm not convinced that self parking is a good idea. Parking is a part of driving and everyone who has a license should be able to do it without any help. I can see problems if the person is short or has limited movement and can't see everything outside, but that's what backup cams are for...right?

PhilipMSPT 03-04-11 08:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Bsl-ZMHdk&NR=1

dunnojack 03-04-11 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT (Post 6197252)

i hope the park assist does THAT at a push of a button.

lamar411 03-04-11 09:43 PM

i dont even remember the last time i had to parallel park, but its still good tech.

RXSF 03-04-11 10:43 PM

who would Lexus need to step it up when they were the ones that invented it?