Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus going to offer a unibody SUV with third row seating anytime soon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 09:01 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is Lexus going to offer a unibody SUV with third row seating anytime soon?

I remember reading several years ago how Lexus was planning on releasing a GS-based SUV that I presume would fit in price wise somewhere near the body on frame GX.

I'm guessing increasing gas prices and the focus on fuel economy might have made Lexus decide not to further crowd their SUV lineup.

Still, at that point I would have anticipated either the RX being offered with a third row, or the GX being moved to unibody construction.

As it stands now it seems if I want a smooth riding luxury SUV with third row seating, Lexus is not an option.
Old 03-04-11, 09:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the RX should have an elongated version, just like the LS.

It would make it more popular than ever.

However, since the RX has just recently been redesigned, I doubt it's gonna happen.

Lexus will most likely turn towards smaller SUV/crossovers based on other platforms.
Old 03-04-11, 11:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, Toyota/Lexus is happy to just steer buyers needing the 3rd row to the Toyota dealership. The potential sales volume for Lexus is not a big opportunity loss.

Mercedes sells a low number of GL and RL (versus ML) and BMW no 3 row SUV's so far in US.
Old 03-04-11, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Toyota already has the unibody V6, 3-row RAV-4, so it shouldn't be that big a deal for Lexus to do a version with upgraded interior and sound-insulation. The interior, though, would need a serious upgrade......that is one of the current-generation RAV-4's worst features.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-04-11 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-04-11, 06:15 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus really does not need yet another SUV.
Old 03-04-11, 07:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Toyota already has the unibody V6, 3-row RAV-4, so it shouldn't be that big a deal for Lexus to do a version with upgraded interior and sound-insulation. The interior, though, would need a serious upgrade......that is one of the current-generation RAV-4's worst features.
isnt Highlander/RX much better candidate for 3rd row? I mean if they dont want to fit it in big RX, why would they do it in much smaller Rav4?
Old 03-04-11, 07:16 PM
LexFather

There was a mock up of a 3RX with a third row but Lexus did not like how the design looked so they dumped it.

There seems to be a market for a 3rd for car based SUV as many Lexus owners or potential owners would like it.

Looking at the design of Highlander vs the RX the RX has a much more curvaceous exterior and sloping rear roof compared to the Highlander.

Old 03-04-11, 07:36 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMO, Toyota/Lexus is happy to just steer buyers needing the 3rd row to the Toyota dealership. The potential sales volume for Lexus is not a big opportunity loss.

Mercedes sells a low number of GL and RL (versus ML) and BMW no 3 row SUV's so far in US.
BMW does offer the third row in the X5. It's a complete joke, but it is an option, and some actually buy it.
Old 03-04-11, 09:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There seems to be a market for a 3rd for car based SUV as many Lexus owners or potential owners would like it.
No doubt, the Lexus marketers have noticed how many buyers have been drawn to the Buick Enclave. One look at the Enclave's interior will tell you why.....and the Enclave's third-row seat, unlike most mid-sized SUVs, has room for American-sized adults.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-05-11 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-04-11, 10:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Good points about X5 (and I almost forgot the LR4 with more usable 3rd row). Certainly Enclave (being full-sized and much longer and heavier than mid-sized RX) comes up when a stretched Lexus RX is discussed with a usable 3rd row.
Old 03-05-11, 12:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The Enclave's interior is glitzy, overstyled, and a bit dated. I don't think Lexus is worried. From what I have witnessed in L.A., the Enclave buyer is a different demographic than the RX buyer.
Old 03-05-11, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Certainly Enclave (being full-sized and much longer and heavier than mid-sized RX) comes up when a stretched Lexus RX is discussed with a usable 3rd row.
Yes, that's one reason for the Enclave's good sales. Although the Enclave's interior materials, are, in general, not quite up to those used in Lexus SUVs (for instance, most of the Enclave's "wood", except for the steering wheel, is thin plastic), the ultra-plush look, at least, combined with the 3rd-row room, is enough to sway a lot of buyers.

A stretched 3rd-row RX, BTW, might also get some competition from the Lincoln MKT (sorry....I know you don't like Lincoln's alphabet-soup ), not just the Enclave.....though the MKT's styling turns off some buyers.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy
The Enclave's interior is glitzy, overstyled, and a bit dated.
That's another reason why it sells. Few vehicles, today, have interiors like that....especially at that price. Some people like a lot of wood-tone, chrome/brushed-metal, and glitz....and don't consider that "dated". I happen to like it, myself. But I agree that Lexus uses better-quality materials inside......the Enclave, despite its plush look, is mostly glitz-covered plastic.

I don't think Lexus is worried.
I'm not so sure. They have got to be noticing the Enclave's sales-numbers.

From what I have witnessed in L.A., the Enclave buyer is a different demographic than the RX buyer.
Possibly.....I can't comment on sales in SoCal. Here in the D.C. area, both the Enclave and RX seem to be very popular with more or less the same groups of middle-aged couples and soccer-moms.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-05-11 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-05-11, 03:48 PM
LexFather

The Dimensions between a RX vs a 7 seat Enclave/MDX etc are pretty clear. Its also clear people prefer what the RX offers looking at sales. Of course there is a 7 seat market they are missing but then we can say they are missing out on more sales in comparison.

Old 03-06-11, 07:01 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm a bit surprised that Lexus has not done a 3 row crossover based on the Highlander. Ford seems to do well with two different size crossovers, the Flex and Edge. Lexus product planners must not see much incremental sales advantage to adding another product.
Steve
Old 03-06-11, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Dimensions between a RX vs a 7 seat Enclave/MDX etc are pretty clear.
Can't really compare the MDX and Enclave in size.....the MDX is substantially smaller than the Enclave, and about the same size as an RX.

Its also clear people prefer what the RX offers looking at sales. Of course there is a 7 seat market they are missing but then we can say they are missing out on more sales in comparison.
Although this is just my opinion here, and can't necessarily be proved by fact, I think the main sales appeal the RX has over the MDX, regardless of the seating capacity of either vehicle, is simply the noticeably better smoothness/quietness/refinement of the RX. The MDX, though a nice mid-sized, car-based SUV, lacks the silky-smooth drivetrain and library-quiet ride of the RX.....people notice that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-06-11 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus going to offer a unibody SUV with third row seating anytime soon?