Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus going to offer a unibody SUV with third row seating anytime soon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 09:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW the rear of the Enclave looks like the rear of an LS460L
Old 11-02-15, 04:18 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Update

Anxious to boost Lexus' sex appeal, Akio Toyoda is making clear which categories of vehicles will work for the luxury brand and which simply aren't seductive enough.

So what about a Lexus sporty coupe? Yes, that'll work. A premium station wagon? Nope. A stylish sedan? Most definitely.

A 7-seat SUV? Hmm. Mr. Toyoda will have to get back to you.

Lack of sexiness is 1 reason Lexus won't chase European rivals in offering station wagons, Toyoda says. And it's also a reason to not rush out a family-hauling, 7-seat SUV.

The car guy CEO, whose grandfather founded Lexus' parent company, Toyota, says it is time for the brand to err on the side of emotion, rather than utility.

Interviewed at the Tokyo Motor Show last week, Toyoda said Lexus is entering a new phase symbolized by the LF-FC concept that debuted here, an elegant fuel cell sedan, and the RC coupe launched last year.

The key words are "emotional and cool," he said. The kind of cars being considered internally underscores the new outlook.

"If it had been a few years ago, the vehicle symbolizing the new chapter would have been a station wagon," Toyoda said.

"If your focus is selling more cars, as many as possible, a station wagon would be of interest. ... When you say 'emotional and cool,' it's not a station wagon."

The same goes for big, 7-seat SUVs/crossovers that U.S. dealers have been clamoring for, Toyoda said.

"Dealers are telling me that all the time," Toyoda said of requests for a 7-seat crossover. "My answer is: 'That's the Toyota brand.'"

Lexus dealers say they want a 3-row crossover to go up against the Infiniti QX70 and Audi Q7. Indeed, expectations are running high that Lexus will introduce 1 largely based on the redesigned RX.

But Lexus executives have far from signed off on such a plan, said Takayuki Katsuda, chief engineer of the RX. In fact, adding a 3rd row and preserving the new design language is much more complicated than simply stretching the chassis, he said.

"It's practically impossible," Katsuda said.

Product planners still are brainstorming a way to square emotional design with 7-seat functionality, he said.

Toyoda did not rule out a new 7-seater. But when asked whether he was putting the brakes on the project, he said: "At the moment, yes."
Old 11-02-15, 05:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i'm sure the above is great news for bmw, audi, mercedes benz, etc.
Old 11-02-15, 08:42 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Very surprising news when It seemed like a swell of demand especially from Lexus dealers. Personalty I'm glad to hear it since most third rows are merely jump seats suited for 5 yr kids only. If they tried to cram a third row in the RX it would ruin the vehicle. (No more emotional and cool feeling).

On the other hand I can't help thinking since Toyota/Lexus is super secret when it comes to new models they must be working on one and they just aren't ready to let the world know it.
Old 11-02-15, 10:08 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If they don't want to make a 3rd row option on the RX or a new crossover à la TX, then they just need to redesign the GX to accompany 7 passengers better should a 3rd gen spawn
Old 11-02-15, 10:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

This is BS. Its one thing to build "fun, emotional" cars, but you still have to build what the public wants. Its not a Maserati...its a Lexus and there needs to be some emphasis put on practicality.

My family and lots of other families need/want 3 rows. I guess we're going somewhere else.
Old 11-02-15, 11:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

yeah emotional and cool is nice, but i need to haul my shtuff.
Old 11-02-15, 12:22 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should I pull a trigger on the MDX. This is suck
Old 11-02-15, 12:51 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Lexus only have one or two design and engineering teams? It seems like they can't work on multiple projects as much as Mercdes or BMW and get new designs, equipment and power trains out as fast
Old 11-02-15, 01:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Does Lexus only have one or two design and engineering teams? It seems like they can't work on multiple projects as much as Mercdes or BMW and get new designs, equipment and power trains out as fast
how do you figure that? Takes around 4 years to develop new vehicle, and they just released NX, RC/RC-F, RX, LX big facelift, GS/GS-F, ES facelift, etc, etc.

It is just question of priorities, dealers want more SUVs while Toyoda wants more coupes for Lexus.

Besides, BMW and Audi dont have such vehicle either, fitting 2 seats in trunk is not good enough and compromises 2nd row space. Only real competitor is GL.

So Lexus will likely do something with GX replacement being TX, or similar to that... since GX is selling brisk, thats not going to happen that soon it seems.
Old 11-02-15, 01:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah emotional and cool is nice, but i need to haul my shtuff.
And my stupid kids!
Old 11-02-15, 01:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xioix
mercedes and bmw must fight for their very existence with those product lines, so of course they have a ton of resources involved, whereas lexus, while hugely proftable to toyota on a per vehicle basis, is still only a small part of toyota, and toyota has the 'luxury' of growing it steadily (slowly), calmly, and methodically, and so yeah, lexus models don't come out as fast, but that's just the way it is. their product line now though is certainly much bigger than ever.
Old 11-02-15, 05:30 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Personalty I'm glad to hear it since most third rows are merely jump seats suited for 5 yr kids only. If they tried to cram a third row in the RX it would ruin the vehicle. (No more emotional and cool feeling).
And that's what the third rows in the GX and the LX are like and yet it didn't stop Lexus from putting a third row in them and keep selling them.

Have you tried sitting in the 3rd row of an Infiniti JX/QX60? It's surprisingly accommodating even for male adults.

The MDX, the QX60 and the X5 are all making a killing here by offering a third row. Lexus is simply leaving a huge pile of money on the table by not catering to an obvious market with high demand.
Old 11-02-15, 06:10 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would Lexus give up the 7-seat crossover market and give away the cash without a fight??? If Lexus redesigns the GX and turns it into a crossover 7 seater then I will buy one for sure.
Old 11-02-15, 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Why would Lexus give up the 7-seat crossover market and give away the cash without a fight???
because clearly it's not 'emotional and cool'

Quick Reply: Is Lexus going to offer a unibody SUV with third row seating anytime soon?