Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The same rhetoric in every Hyundai thread. Look no one sees the Equus as better, it is just cheaper though it is still a good car. The LS no matter the price is seen as one of the best cars on the planet. How that fact is lost here is beyond me.
The Equus is the equal of the LS460 in most areas......not all. IMO, after reviewing it, I'd say the main superiority of the LS is in tomb-quietness/noise-control and transmission-smoothness....traditional Lexus hallmarks except for some past IS and ES models. (Oh, and, of course, the incomparable LS460 Mark Levinson stereo)

Sorry but the LS and Equus interiors are not close. The Equus interior is something from the 1990s.
That doesn't necessarily make the Equus interior second-rate. IMO, a fair number of interiors (some GM/Chrysler products excepted) were better back then than what they are today. In fact (again, IMO), the LS had a better interior back then, too.......I'll take the LS430's interior over the 460's any day of the week.

The point is Hyundai has never built luxury vehicles before therefore long term reliability is unproven and they still have a lot of work to do changing people's minds they no longer build crap.
Not to people with open minds. In fact, you yourself (with an open mind) found that out several years ago. I agree, though, that Equus reliability has yet to be proved.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-11 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-17-11, 07:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I mentioned this in another thread, but I feel this must be repeated here. Good/bland/elegant styling is timeless. Well-styled cars from the 1950s and 1960s are still considered good-looking today.
maybe to you, but i find almost all designs don't age well. 1950s and 1960s? why those decades? and what is good/bland/elegant from those times? i'd say a mustang has been pretty timeless though. but taken even the iconic porsche 911. i think early iterations now look hokey or bland.

Ugly cars are also timeless. Many ugly designs from decades ago are still ugly today.
i'd say that's pretty obvious.

A lot of modern supercars still have bodies that are at least partially hand-made. A lot of parts on F1 cars are still hand-made.
i'm not even sure what you mean by hand made. if you mean some guy beating metal into shape, that's generally just going to mean lousy quality by today's standards. the molds for the cf tub in an f1 car are made by a computer controlled milling machine.

Anyways, I'll use a house analogy then. Just HOW many strange, complex, or complicated house designs sell well, as in make up the majority or a large percentage of total house sales? I'll tell you, very few.
to use your analogy, most house designs don't age well either, looking dated in just 10-20 years.

The MAJORITY of houses sold are plain/bland/unoffensive designs that appeal to most people.
there's a vast array of housing styles with different broad categories of styles appealing to different groups of consumers. what's bland to one person might be elegant to another, and what's cute to someone else might be ugly to another person. it's subjective.

150K miles and beyond is what I mean specifically. To see how the cars hold up at 150K, 200K, 250K miles and beyond, that is truly long-term, and Hyundai has not proven itself there.
aaannnnnd, most people couldn't care less.
Old 02-17-11, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I mentioned this in another thread, but I feel this must be repeated here. Good/bland/elegant styling is timeless. Well-styled cars from the 1950s and 1960s are still considered good-looking today.
Perhaps the greatest classic of the 50s was the '57 Chevy.......still, more than 50 years later, a superb American icon.

Old 02-17-11, 11:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe to you, but i find almost all designs don't age well. 1950s and 1960s? why those decades? and what is good/bland/elegant from those times? i'd say a mustang has been pretty timeless though. but taken even the iconic porsche 911. i think early iterations now look hokey or bland.
Models like 1960s Jags, Chevy Chevelles, the Porsche 356, older Corvettes, the Toyota 2000GT, and the list goes on. Many of those cars still look timeless.

i'm not even sure what you mean by hand made. if you mean some guy beating metal into shape, that's generally just going to mean lousy quality by today's standards. the molds for the cf tub in an f1 car are made by a computer controlled milling machine.
They also use CNC machines for milling of some engine parts on many supercars. Who does the milling though? People of course, by hand. With the F1 CF tubs, I believe it is people who prepare and lay the carbon fiber into the mold before it is cooked. It is not completely robotically done. In terms of partially hand made with regards to the body, on many supercars the parts might be generally stamped robotically yes. However, when the parts are put on the body surrounded by other parts, the fitment may not always be right. The fitment is often done by hand by, you guessed it, people beating the metal into the exact shape.

to use your analogy, most house designs don't age well either, looking dated in just 10-20 years.
Sure, they may start to look old and dated, but they won't look ugly or offensive, even if they are old. That's my point.

there's a vast array of housing styles with different broad categories of styles appealing to different groups of consumers. what's bland to one person might be elegant to another, and what's cute to someone else might be ugly to another person. it's subjective.
You're taking this out of context. My point is, MOST houses are boxy shapes, with conversative styling cues, REGARDLESS of the layout or size of the house. How many houses do you see shaped like a curve, a boomerang, a circle, a sphere, and oval and so on and so forth? Most houses don't have such garish, complex, or complicated shapes. Most houses are just squarish and boxy, maybe a combination of many boxes and pyramid shapes, but nothing really offensive.

So you speak for "most people"?

I strongly disagree and think a lot of people would care and do care.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps the greatest classic of the 50s was the '57 Chevy.......still, more than 50 years later, a superb American icon.
That's a great example .
Old 02-17-11, 11:53 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

150K miles and beyond is what I mean specifically. To see how the cars hold up at 150K, 200K, 250K miles and beyond, that is truly long-term, and Hyundai has not proven itself there.
So you speak for "most people"?

I strongly disagree and think a lot of people would care and do care.
Are we talking luxury cars here???

If we're talking about Tier 1 cars I would suggest that an extremely small number of buyers would care at all what a new car would do after 150K miles. Even 100K miles is pushing it in this segment. Being able to afford new cars at the Tier 1 level typically allows buyers to make the change when they feel like it for a multitude of reasons.
Old 02-18-11, 12:01 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

No, we're not talking about just luxury cars, we're talking about brands overall, and the reputations of different brands when it comes to reliability. Hyundai does not have a reputation in that regard yet for long-term reliability.

Oh and if you want to speak specifically about only luxury brands, Benz, Rolls Royce, and Lexus all built their reputations largely thanks to great reliability and durability.

Besides, luxury buyers like to have car knowing it has great reliability and durability, even if they don't need it or often change their cars. They may not ever stress a car's reliability or durability, but many luxury buyers like to know their vehicle possesses such qualities.
Old 02-19-11, 12:03 PM
YEH
Pole Position

The reason why MOST cars have "non-complicated sheetmetal" is because intricate designs often alienate buyers, and don't appeal to the majority. Bland designs appeal more easily to the majority, and most automakers try and offer what the market wants, instead of trying to tell the market what it should buy.
No.

It just seems like bland designs sell b/c best-sellers like the Corolla and Civic have been on the bland side.

Those models sold well b/c "style" is down on the list when mainstream shoppers are looking to buy.

Things like reliability, safety, room/comfort, etc. take precedent over more intricate sheetmetal (not saying that more intricate sheetmetal is necessarily better, b/c it can be a negative if done wrong).

Toyota execs have stated that the next gen of models for Toyota will up the style/design factor - they wouldn't be changing such a "tried and true" formula if the marketplace and their competitors weren't forcing them to.

As competition from Ford, Hyundai/Kia and GM have become competitive w/ regard to reliability, safety, room/comfort, etc. and pushed exterior sheetmetal (as well as interior) design up a notch, the deciding factor for buyers increasingly has become style/design.

Please provide proof that "Hyundai uses more high tensile strength steel" than their competitors.
The Tucson's widespread use of high-strength steel provides increased strength at a lower body weight. High-strength steel allows the four-wheel independent suspension to work optimally. At 3,203 pounds for an automatic transmission model, the Tucson is lighter than its competitors, while offering more interior room than Rogue and Escape, with body-bending rigidity 38 percent higher than the Rogue. The Tucson owes its 31 mpg estimated EPA highway rating to its weight efficient unibody architecture.

The entire body shell has been made stiffer and lighter thanks to its extensive use of ultra-high tensile strength steel, which comprises 68.9 percent of the shell compared to its predecessor's 57.3 percent. Also, the use of Tailor Welded Blanks (TWB) has been expanded on key structural members. TWB assemblies combine steels of different thickness and grades using a sophisticated laser welding and stamping process to achieve an optimal stiffness-to-weight ratio. TWBs reduce body weight while enhancing crash energy management. These safety systems are expected to earn the 2010 Tucson NHTSA's top five-star crash test rating for front and side impacts.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/03/2...es-2009-debut/

For mass-market cars, having intricate or complicated styling doesn't make sense.

That would be like a food company expecting it's complex chocolate/cocoa/vanilla/rasberry ice cream to be as popular as vanilla.
More complicated sheetmetal doesn't necessarily mean having a busier design language (see Kia's design language); looking at recent Hyundai/Kia sales figures, having more interesting or more pleasing designs do help w/ regard to sales (same goes for Buick and other good GM designs such as the Equinox).

Toyota has long proven itself in terms of the long-term reliability of their vehicles. Hyundai has not yet proven itself to be that good in terms of long-term reliability.
These days the diff. isn't that big (heck, AutoBild in Germany has Hyundai rated higher than Toyota) and both JD Power and CR have had Hyundai reliability above the industry avg. for close to a decade.

The same rhetoric in every Hyundai thread. Look no one sees the Equus as better, it is just cheaper though it is still a good car. The LS no matter the price is seen as one of the best cars on the planet. How that fact is lost here is beyond me.
What rhetoric?

I seem to recall the Equus tying the LS460L in the C&D review w/ the pricing factor taken out.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that the Equus is just as good since it's only 1 review, but it was a bit amusing to read all the various excuses (including from you) about how the C&D review wasn't fair for this reason or that; but when the LS460 does well in other reviews, such factors are glossed over/ignored.

And while the LS460 still had done well in certain reviews, overall tho, esp. in the bigger auto publications, the LS460 has't fared as well against the S Class and 7 Series.

Sorry but the LS and Equus interiors are not close. The Equus interior is something from the 1990s.
Uhh, aside from the rear passenger compartment (which is comparable), I've been more than critical of the Equus' dash (both design and the materials used) - so it's not like you are bringing up anything new.

What does the G37 and G35 have to do with anything? What does the IS 350 and 335 have to do with anything? Stop slinging poo to try to make your redundant posts work.
Do yoy really have this much of a problem w/ pretty simple LOGIC?

Apparently so, considering how many times I have had to explain this to you.

If one is going to ding the Equus on pricing, then one has to not only ding the LS400 for pricing, but the current G37 and IS as well - since they were/are considerably cheaper than their German competition.

And that's being considerably cheaper despite being sold under a luxury brand/dealer network.

Sheesh - if you can't get this fairly simple concept by now, then... (well, it does explain certain things).

The thing is even if the S-class is more expensive, people buy it b/c they feel it is WORTH the money. Mercedes has established the S-class where people feel no matter the price, it is best in class. Same with the LS, people feel no matter the cost it is best in class. The LS maybe cheaper but people buy it not based on price but on other merits, the cheaper base price is just added incentive (mind you most LSs are optioned 10-20k higher than the base MSRP.
If it was "worth it", buyers would pay the same prices and the LS460 would be priced more in line w/ the S Class.

Btw, the S Class, the options on the S Class are pricier (nice try tho).

The Equus is selling based on price first then its other capabilities. It is 55k-65k loaded which is E-class/GS money. Its even less than an E-class with tons of options. No one in their right mind can say the Equus is best in the LS/A8/S/7/Panamera/XJ etc class, not even close. It just finished dead last in a comparo with the entire competition. I am sure the next gen will be better.
Yes, let's just totally ignore that the LS400 initially sold primarily on its ridiculously low MSRP of $35K.

It's no coincidence that sales of the LS keeps getting lower as the MSRP of each successive LS model goes up.

And let's just ignore that for the categories evaluated in the MT review, the Equus faired OK (middling) and that it finished last due to being dinged on the prestige/badge factor.

Funny how you place so much emphasis on the MT review and yet, came up w/ numerous excuses to explain away the C&D results.

Talk about bias - lol!

Which makes comments like this, really absurd.

Then you bring up the FT? What does that have to do with anything? Your thinking and pro-Hyundai shades have you desperate to make any comparison no matter how irrelevant or ridiculous. The point is Hyundai has never built luxury vehicles before therefore long term reliability is unproven and they still have a lot of work to do changing people's minds they no longer build crap.
Uhh, Hyundai sold the 1st gen Equus for about a decade (granted, it was a JV w/ Mitsu).

And I brought up the FT due to actual ridiculous claims such as a poster saying that Hyundai is copying Toyota due to its lineup.

Aside from the poster getting wrong that the new Azera is an ES competitor (which it isn't), he actually had to gall to to use as "evidence" - comparisons of the Genesis sedan = GS and the Equus = LS; totally overlooking the fact that these are segments 1st established by the Germans.

I merely brought up the FT to show that it would be equally ridiculous to say that Toyota is copying Hyundai by coming up w/ a moderately priced RWD sports coupe (tho some would say that Hyundai coming out w/ the GenCoupe pushed Toyota into that direction).

Of course, due to "your impartiality" as a mod, you didn't call him out for that ridiculous claim, even when other posters agreed w/ him.

But then again, you don't exactly have a good history of impartiality.

Quite a no. of examples, but one of the more noticeable ones (aside from doing nothing about posters who write that Hyundais are "POS" or "crap"; while giving me a warning for merely stating that Lexus designs tend to be on the bland side - which evidently Toyota execs seem to agree, not to mention you having a fit anytime posters say the same thing about Toyota/Lexus on TCL) was when TRDF (if I'm not mistaken) went on about how Hyundais "sucked" due to a rust issue, when not only have other Japanese makes have had their own rust issues (Nissan), but Toyota as well.

I know this is a Lexus board, but let's just say the level of objectivity here is quite a bit less than on some other auto forums.

Oh and if you want to speak specifically about only luxury brands, Benz, Rolls Royce, and Lexus all built their reputations largely thanks to great reliability and durability.

Besides, luxury buyers like to have car knowing it has great reliability and durability, even if they don't need it or often change their cars. They may not ever stress a car's reliability or durability, but many luxury buyers like to know their vehicle possesses such qualities.
Rolls reliability? Are you kidding me? lol

And Mercedes reliability took a sharp downturn during the 1990s/early 2000s and most of their buyers didn't care (tho some did defect to Lexus for that reason) and c'mon - Range Rover (no need to say more).

Last edited by YEH; 02-19-11 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-19-11, 12:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The LS debuted with a ridiculously low MSRP, and people bought it in droves. Lexus kept raising the MSRP several times on single generation, and people kept buying it in droves. Lexus kept raising MSRP on the LS generation after generation, and people still buy it in droves. The LS and S class are the sales leaders in this segment, with sales numbers neck to neck - nobody else comes close.

The haiyondie genocide debuted with a ridiculously low MSRP, and failed to reach its sales target. They keep lowering the price, offering bigger discounts, rock bottom lease rates, and stuffing more features and power into refreshed model, and it still sells slowly. I reckon the equis will suffer the same fate.

There's a reason why the equis is cheap - its ####-up. It is ludicrous to compare it to the LS. If you don't believe me - check the cash register
Old 02-19-11, 01:33 PM
YEH
Pole Position

^ Funny, the LS460 isn't selling even remotely close to what the LS400 sold in volume; and while the pricing of the LS has gone up quite a bit, it's still a sizeable chunk less than the S Class.

Also funny, the Genesis is outselling the GS by quite a big margin and that's even w/o the benefit of having AWD - which would tack on a 30-35% increase in sales, if not more (sales of the AWD CTS-sedan makes up nearly 50% of CTS sedan sales).
Old 02-19-11, 02:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LS460 selling volume declined not because of the lack in demand, but because there aren't as many people able to afford it at its current price point vs LS400 price point, especially in todays economy. The LS and S class are the sales volume leaders at this price point.

The genocide and equis are priced lower than cars in lower (on paper) class and they aren't generating much demand. There's a very good and simple reason for this - see above.
Old 02-20-11, 01:36 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YEH
No.

It just seems like bland designs sell b/c best-sellers like the Corolla and Civic have been on the bland side.

Those models sold well b/c "style" is down on the list when mainstream shoppers are looking to buy.

Things like reliability, safety, room/comfort, etc. take precedent over more intricate sheetmetal (not saying that more intricate sheetmetal is necessarily better, b/c it can be a negative if done wrong).

Toyota execs have stated that the next gen of models for Toyota will up the style/design factor - they wouldn't be changing such a "tried and true" formula if the marketplace and their competitors weren't forcing them to.

As competition from Ford, Hyundai/Kia and GM have become competitive w/ regard to reliability, safety, room/comfort, etc. and pushed exterior sheetmetal (as well as interior) design up a notch, the deciding factor for buyers increasingly has become style/design.
Toyota's mainstream models have gradually become more stylish over the past few generations. Yes Toyota did say future models would have more styling, but it is going to be a GRADUAL change, not a RADICAL change that Hyundai has been doing. RADICAL change alienates new buyers and current owners/customers.

You can think whatever you want, but facts are facts. Despite all the hype with "stylish" designs from Ford, Hyundai, and GM, sales figures for their "stylish" new models have yet to noticeably improve or make a dent in sales. Despite all the hype, there is no convincing evidence yet that the market even wants highly stylized or overstyled cars. So far, the evidence strongly shows the market mostly doesn't care for such models.

That still does NOT answer the question I asked. Show me the proof that Hyundai uses MORE high-tensile strength steel THAN THE COMPETITION. Where is the proof? If you have no proof, please stop making unsubstantiated statements.

Originally Posted by YEH
More complicated sheetmetal doesn't necessarily mean having a busier design language (see Kia's design language); looking at recent Hyundai/Kia sales figures, having more interesting or more pleasing designs do help w/ regard to sales (same goes for Buick and other good GM designs such as the Equinox).
I have looked at Hyundai/Kia sales figures, and for the most part I don't see a big indication that more "interesting designs" have led to increased sales figures. Over the past 5-6 years, Hyundai/Kia have added several new models to their lineups which have helped a lot in boosting sales. For the most part, existing models over the past few years have not increased sales tremendously relative to the competition.

Originally Posted by YEH
These days the diff. isn't that big (heck, AutoBild in Germany has Hyundai rated higher than Toyota) and both JD Power and CR have had Hyundai reliability above the industry avg. for close to a decade.
You're arbitrarily changing metrics? How long has Autobild had Hyundai above Toyota? Only this year or last year? Over the past 10 years, how many times has Hyundai been rated above Toyota in Autobild? With regards to CR and JD Power, we're not talking about the industry average. In the past 10 years, how many times has Hyundai been rated above Toyota in JD Power's 3-year dependability study? How many times has Hyundai been rated overall above Toyota in CR in long-term reliability?

Originally Posted by YEH
If it was "worth it", buyers would pay the same prices and the LS460 would be priced more in line w/ the S Class.

You don't get it, do you? Lots of people are buying LOADED LS460 models which easily go over 85-90K MSRP, and LS hybrid models that easily go well over 100K. So yes, people are paying top dollar to buy the LS.

The LS hybrid in terms of base MSRP actually is more expensive than every BMW 7 model except the 760Li and the Alpina B7 (which there is no competing LS model to directly compare with).

In terms of the subject of "worth", you argument falls apart completely when we bring the LFA into discussion. Lexus has almost sold out all 500 LFA allocations worldwide, a car that in all markets with options is easily going for over 400K. In many markets the demand exceeds the number of LFAs that have been allocated.

Questioning the "worth" of Lexus models is quite laughable, especially considering the LFA is selling, and the LS hybrid is selling, the two MOST expensive Lexus models. Not to mention, there is the LX570, which starts at basically 80K MSRP, and easily goes up from there with options. That consistently sells at about 200 units or more monthly in the US alone.

Originally Posted by YEH
Yes, let's just totally ignore that the LS400 initially sold primarily on its ridiculously low MSRP of $35K.

It's no coincidence that sales of the LS keeps getting lower as the MSRP of each successive LS model goes up.

And let's just ignore that for the categories evaluated in the MT review, the Equus faired OK (middling) and that it finished last due to being dinged on the prestige/badge factor.

Funny how you place so much emphasis on the MT review and yet, came up w/ numerous excuses to explain away the C&D results.

Talk about bias - lol!

Wrong. The original LS sold primarily because it was a vehicle that had never been offered before on the market. The low pricing was icing on the cake. If it was just a "good enough" vehicle, then even with the low price it never would have been a good seller.

Originally Posted by YEH
Uhh, Hyundai sold the 1st gen Equus for about a decade (granted, it was a JV w/ Mitsu).

And I brought up the FT due to actual ridiculous claims such as a poster saying that Hyundai is copying Toyota due to its lineup.

Aside from the poster getting wrong that the new Azera is an ES competitor (which it isn't), he actually had to gall to to use as "evidence" - comparisons of the Genesis sedan = GS and the Equus = LS; totally overlooking the fact that these are segments 1st established by the Germans.

I merely brought up the FT to show that it would be equally ridiculous to say that Toyota is copying Hyundai by coming up w/ a moderately priced RWD sports coupe (tho some would say that Hyundai coming out w/ the GenCoupe pushed Toyota into that direction).

Of course, due to "your impartiality" as a mod, you didn't call him out for that ridiculous claim, even when other posters agreed w/ him.

Quite a no. of examples, but one of the more noticeable ones (aside from doing nothing about posters who write that Hyundais are "POS" or "crap"; while giving me a warning for merely stating that Lexus designs tend to be on the bland side - which evidently Toyota execs seem to agree, not to mention you having a fit anytime posters say the same thing about Toyota/Lexus on TCL) was when TRDF (if I'm not mistaken) went on about how Hyundais "sucked" due to a rust issue, when not only have other Japanese makes have had their own rust issues (Nissan), but Toyota as well.

I know this is a Lexus board, but let's just say the level of objectivity here is quite a bit less than on some other auto forums.
Toyota had moderately priced RWD coupes since the 1970s. Just because they stopped selling them in the past 10-15 years does not mean they suddenly copied Hyundai.

Toyota has decades of experience with RWD coupes. It is ridiculous to say they are following Hyundai.

Also, please show me that Toyota has the SAME LEVEL of rust problems in areas such as the sub-frames, frames, control arms, and suspension members as Hyundai.

Originally Posted by YEH

And Mercedes reliability took a sharp downturn during the 1990s/early 2000s and most of their buyers didn't care (tho some did defect to Lexus for that reason) and c'mon - Range Rover (no need to say more).
Please learn about the history of Rolls-Royce before making further comments. Rolls-Royce ORIGINALLY built their reputation on quality and reliability, with their first model, the Silver Ghost. The Silver Ghost was TREMENDOUSLY more reliable than most other cars on the road at the time, which helped establish the reputation of Rolls Royce.

Also with Benz, I was referring to how their reputation ORIGINALLY got established. I was not talking about more modern problems that Benz has had. The quality problems of Benz did not affect their sales that much because of the TREMENDOUS brand history and worldwide recognition Benz cars have had for over 100 years.

Originally Posted by YEH
^ Funny, the LS460 isn't selling even remotely close to what the LS400 sold in volume; and while the pricing of the LS has gone up quite a bit, it's still a sizeable chunk less than the S Class.

Also funny, the Genesis is outselling the GS by quite a big margin and that's even w/o the benefit of having AWD - which would tack on a 30-35% increase in sales, if not more (sales of the AWD CTS-sedan makes up nearly 50% of CTS sedan sales).
Strawman argument. Is the S-class *in the US* currently selling at the same volume as the early 90s S-Class? What about the current 7 Series compared to the early 90s 7 Series?

Look at THE MARKET OVERALL. If you're going to myopically single out the LS, then it's only fair to talk about the S-Class and 7 as well. They are selling only at a fraction of early late 80s/early 90s US sales levels.

However if you look WORLDWIDE, Lexus LS sales have ARE VERY GOOD. In fact, current generation worldwide LS sales are FAR better than worldwide sales of the original LS400.

Sorry, your argument completely falls apart.

Also for the last time, do not compare the Genesis sedan with the GS. They exist and compete in two different market classes. They are not in the same class.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 02-20-11 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-20-11, 06:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by YEH
No.

Hyundai Elantra has been bland until 2011 and it didn't sell well. Bland doesn't automatically mean it will sell. The RL is proof of this. Can you stop bringing up other cars and keep it on the Equus?

To you.

To you.

What this have to do with the Equus?

What does this have to do with the Equus?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/03/2...es-2009-debut/

To you. What on earth does a entry level 20k SUV have to do with this topic? No one uses the Tuscan as some design standard.

What does this have to do with the Equus. Equus is not sold in Europe, LS is sold in Europe.

What rhetoric?

I seem to recall the Equus tying the LS460L in the C&D review w/ the pricing factor taken out.

Good for C/D. The Equus won on price, the LS was over $30,000 more expensive, where it got docked 10 points for it. You clearly read my review the Equus to me is s till a good car.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that the Equus is just as good since it's only 1 review, but it was a bit amusing to read all the various excuses (including from you) about how the C&D review wasn't fair for this reason or that; but when the LS460 does well in other reviews, such factors are glossed over/ignored.

Your personal tirade is quite amusing and old. You equate other peoples opinions as excuses and your opinions as fact. It is quite delusional that someone that doesn't even own a Hyundai or a Lexus or any luxury car is telling everyone about luxury.

And while the LS460 still had done well in certain reviews, overall tho, esp. in the bigger auto publications, the LS460 has't fared as well against the S Class and 7 Series.

To you.

Uhh, aside from the rear passenger compartment (which is comparable), I've been more than critical of the Equus' dash (both design and the materials used) - so it's not like you are bringing up anything new.

Your point is?

Do yoy really have this much of a problem w/ pretty simple LOGIC?

You don't own a Hyundai or a Lexus or a luxury car so your condescending tone is amusing. Your trolling in every Hyundai thread is old, redundant and no one is buying it here.

Apparently so, considering how many times I have had to explain this to you.

Who do you think you are, Jesus? You have no credibility, you troll Hyundai threads over and over and try to come off as some superior person. Simply, you are a forum jester.

If one is going to ding the Equus on pricing, then one has to not only ding the LS400 for pricing, but the current G37 and IS as well - since they were/are considerably cheaper than their German competition.

You are forever going back to 1989 trying to bring up the LS and other cars with no clue about history or the market. Your tirade will do anything to try to embarrass Lexus which includes spinning anything you deem necessary. When Hyundai makes a separate luxury arm, then you can make a better comparison.

And that's being considerably cheaper despite being sold under a luxury brand/dealer network.

Just stop.

Sheesh - if you can't get this fairly simple concept by now, then... (well, it does explain certain things).

What does it explain? Do tell? Please tell us all how superior you are.

They do Not even LS is some 65k base model. You are so dismissive of the LS and since you know NOTHING about the luxury market you equate a lower base starting price as the sole reason someone buys a cheaper car. Lexus is not Hyundai. Hyundai has to be cheaper to sell. Lexus is sometimes cheaper and its icing on the cake the car is viewed as on par or superior.

Nice try? No one is trying anything, not sure why we are even listening to your trolling rants again.

Why are you constantly going back to 1989? Is your name Marty? Let me explain this to you since you are inept at this point, THE ORIGINAL LS IS CONSIDERED ONE OF THE GREATEST AUTOMOBILES OF ALL TIME. If you read any review at the time they raved over THE CAR then concluded the cheaper price was just icing on the cake.

The LS was as good or a better car and was cheaper. Hyundai is cheaper. Period. End of story. The Equus is nothing like the LS in 1989, it is not class leading in any way OUTSIDE OF PRICE. Contrarily the LS WAS SEEN AS CLASS LEADING ALMOST IN EVERY WAY and was cheaper. GIANT difference in execution.

You FAIL to understand that.

Show us LS sales to back up your argument. The LS is now a 65k-130k vehicle, the Equus is 55k-65k. The LS sold over 25,000 units in 2007, MORE THAN THE GENESIS SEDAN which is a 30k-45k car. You don't know what you are taking about. Period.

Wait a minute here. So you accuse others of making excuses but you can make excuses for the Equus.

Talk about bias - lol!

You place that much emphasis on what I say. If you actually read instead of skimmed posts to argue you would see I had no issue with the C&D review.

Yawn

No one cares.

Stop it. Who are you Hyundai Jesus?

Stop, you don't know much anything outside of Hyundai is the greatest. Who are you to correct people like your word is THE END ALL? lol. Delusional Hyundai fan is delusional

Okay now you are stepping on thin ice b/c now you are jumping even further away from the topic. If you have a problem with my moderating report it. FYI mods don't read every single post and sentence on their respective forums.

Compared to you have no history. Nothing, non-existent.

Just stop

To you.

Stop

Just stop

Please just stop posting. This is not the place to login to bump Hyundai only threads and to pick apart posts you don't agree with while ignoring any complimentary comments.

Old 02-22-11, 09:44 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
LS460 selling volume declined not because of the lack in demand, but because there aren't as many people able to afford it at its current price point vs LS400 price point, especially in todays economy. The LS and S class are the sales volume leaders at this price point.
But, considering that the LS460 is still considerably cheaper than the S Class, it should still outsell the S Class like its predecessor once did, but it doesn't.

Originally Posted by Och
The genocide and equis are priced lower than cars in lower (on paper) class and they aren't generating much demand. There's a very good and simple reason for this - see above.
Oh, gee, you are so witty!

Chop off $7-8K off the price of the GS and sell it as a Toyota and do you think it'll do any better than it is doing now?

Considering that the GS is still a good bit cheaper than a comparably equipped E Class, shouldn't it be doing a lot better?

Please just stop posting. This is not the place to login to bump Hyundai only threads and to pick apart posts you don't agree with while ignoring any complimentary comments.
Please - there have been people who have bumped up threads a lot older.

And I seem to recall you bumping a Hyundai thread that was like 2 months old (not surprisingly, a thread about a Hyundai recall).

And I'm hardly ignoring your complimentary comments (btw, I have said many a complimentary thing about the LS400); just picking apart your other points thats all.

Last edited by YEH; 02-22-11 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 10:55 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Toyota's mainstream models have gradually become more stylish over the past few generations. Yes Toyota did say future models would have more styling, but it is going to be a GRADUAL change, not a RADICAL change that Hyundai has been doing. RADICAL change alienates new buyers and current owners/customers.
Really?

Radical change seems to have done Hyundai some good w/ regard to sales.

The Honda CR-V is quite the change from the previous gen and the CR-V has only gained in sales; the current Accord is quite the change from the previous Accord and it's doing fine.

The Mercedes E Class is quite the step away from its predecessor and it's become a huge sale hit for Mercedes; pretty much all of the Jaguar models, but in particular, the XJ, are quite diff. in design from the designs that Jag stuck w/ for the past 2-3 decades.

You can think whatever you want, but facts are facts. Despite all the hype with "stylish" designs from Ford, Hyundai, and GM, sales figures for their "stylish" new models have yet to noticeably improve or make a dent in sales. Despite all the hype, there is no convincing evidence yet that the market even wants highly stylized or overstyled cars. So far, the evidence strongly shows the market mostly doesn't care for such models.
Yeah, like the 2011 Sonata hasn't seen its sales increase dramatically; same goes for the 2011 Sorento - and demand isn't so strong that Hyundai/Kia aren't contemplating building another factory in the US.

And sales of the Cruze are picking up steam, selling over 13.5K units in Jan. - those are the FACTS.

That still does NOT answer the question I asked. Show me the proof that Hyundai uses MORE high-tensile strength steel THAN THE COMPETITION. Where is the proof? If you have no proof, please stop making unsubstantiated statements.
Uhh, it's easy enough to look up the amount of high tensile steel used in other models.

I have looked at Hyundai/Kia sales figures, and for the most part I don't see a big indication that more "interesting designs" have led to increased sales figures. Over the past 5-6 years, Hyundai/Kia have added several new models to their lineups which have helped a lot in boosting sales. For the most part, existing models over the past few years have not increased sales tremendously relative to the competition.
Again, the new Sonata and Sorento have increased dramatically over sales of the previous models.

For instance, Hyundai sold nearly 197k Sonatas in 2010; in 2009 they sold 120k.

In 2010, Kia sold over 108k Sorentos; in 2009, they sold about 24.5K.

And in no small part, the reason why the Soul beats the other "mini-cubes" in sales (by far) is due to its styling.

You're arbitrarily changing metrics? How long has Autobild had Hyundai above Toyota? Only this year or last year? Over the past 10 years, how many times has Hyundai been rated above Toyota in Autobild? With regards to CR and JD Power, we're not talking about the industry average. In the past 10 years, how many times has Hyundai been rated above Toyota in JD Power's 3-year dependability study? How many times has Hyundai been rated overall above Toyota in CR in long-term reliability?
Not changing it at all (tho, now you are).

You don't get it, do you? Lots of people are buying LOADED LS460 models which easily go over 85-90K MSRP, and LS hybrid models that easily go well over 100K. So yes, people are paying top dollar to buy the LS.
Uhh, options on the S Class and 7 Series cost more (that's the German way), and a comparably equipped S Class and 7 Series are about $20k more.

And it's not Lexus isn't offering some nice discounts right now. One person who just bought an Equus tried to get his father to buy one as well, but the father wanted/needed AWD and opted for an AWD LS.

That choice was made a lot easier when he got the LS460 AWD for $10K under sticker.

Don't think the Germans have to do that considering the Chinese are snapping up every higher end German sedan that they get their hands on.

The LS hybrid in terms of base MSRP actually is more expensive than every BMW 7 model except the 760Li and the Alpina B7 (which there is no competing LS model to directly compare with).
And how many people have bought the LS hybrid? Hint: it's not exactly a big seller.

And speaking of no direct comparisons, neither the 7 or S have a true hybrid version (just a mild hybrid).

In terms of the subject of "worth", you argument falls apart completely when we bring the LFA into discussion. Lexus has almost sold out all 500 LFA allocations worldwide, a car that in all markets with options is easily going for over 400K. In many markets the demand exceeds the number of LFAs that have been allocated.
These days w/ all the uber-wealth, pretty much anybody building supercars sells out.

Questioning the "worth" of Lexus models is quite laughable, especially considering the LFA is selling, and the LS hybrid is selling, the two MOST expensive Lexus models. Not to mention, there is the LX570, which starts at basically 80K MSRP, and easily goes up from there with options. That consistently sells at about 200 units or more monthly in the US alone.
Wow, 200 units monthly - such a big seller (funny coming from someone poking fun at Equus sales volume).

Wrong. The original LS sold primarily because it was a vehicle that had never been offered before on the market. The low pricing was icing on the cake. If it was just a "good enough" vehicle, then even with the low price it never would have been a good seller.
No - the original LS sold well b/c it was an excellent vehicle that was sold at a ridiculously low price.

As the price of the LS creeped up, sales started to drop.

Toyota had moderately priced RWD coupes since the 1970s. Just because they stopped selling them in the past 10-15 years does not mean they suddenly copied Hyundai.

Toyota has decades of experience with RWD coupes. It is ridiculous to say they are following Hyundai.
Not very good at reading comprehensive (or for that matter, facts).

I'm not saying that Toyota is copying Hyundai - but rather that claiming Hyundai is copying Toyota (based on long-established segments) is as ridiculous as claiming Toyota is copying Hyundai on the GenCoupe example.

Also, please show me that Toyota has the SAME LEVEL of rust problems in areas such as the sub-frames, frames, control arms, and suspension members as Hyundai.
Are you serious?

Uhh, how 'bout the recalls on the Tundra and Tacoma.

And hey, let's not forget about the oil sludge problems on a no. of both Toyota and Lexus models (so it's hardly something to get snooty about).

Please learn about the history of Rolls-Royce before making further comments. Rolls-Royce ORIGINALLY built their reputation on quality and reliability, with their first model, the Silver Ghost. The Silver Ghost was TREMENDOUSLY more reliable than most other cars on the road at the time, which helped establish the reputation of Rolls Royce.

Also with Benz, I was referring to how their reputation ORIGINALLY got established. I was not talking about more modern problems that Benz has had. The quality problems of Benz did not affect their sales that much because of the TREMENDOUS brand history and worldwide recognition Benz cars have had for over 100 years.
LOL!

Yeah, like people nowadays have any inkling of that.

British auto industry became known for shoddy reliability - which not only killed the mainstream brands, but resulted in all the British luxury brands being taken over by foreign automakers.

And oh, GM (Cadillac, in particular) was once world reknowned for its quality and yet it didn't help it much when quality went down the crapper.

Strawman argument. Is the S-class *in the US* currently selling at the same volume as the early 90s S-Class? What about the current 7 Series compared to the early 90s 7 Series?

Look at THE MARKET OVERALL. If you're going to myopically single out the LS, then it's only fair to talk about the S-Class and 7 as well. They are selling only at a fraction of early late 80s/early 90s US sales levels.

Sorry, your argument completely falls apart.
More like strawman on your part.

If the LS is selling at a lower volume than it did previously and the S Class is selling at a lower volume than it did as well, then the LS should still outsell the S Class (esp. due to its lower price comparably equipped) as it once did.

Also for the last time, do not compare the Genesis sedan with the GS. They exist and compete in two different market classes. They are not in the same class.
OK, I'll be sure to just compare the Genesis to the older Toyota Aristo.
Old 02-23-11, 04:04 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

For shame... Feels like I'm on a Scion forum now not ClubLexus. When will the bickering stop?

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Hyundai Equus