Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

is FRONT WHEEL drive sufficient for driving in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 08:05 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The majority of vehicles in the northern half of the US are FWD even with all the snow fall.
The unfortunate part is that most of them run inadequate all-seasons. However, with dedicated winter tires, FWD is all you need unless you plan on plowing through over a foot of un-plowed snow (which is very rare unless you live in the middle of nowhere).

I have dedicated winters on a Yaris sedan and feel invincible. Every time it snows, I make an excuse to go driving and I leave the Wrangler at home. Seriously. I drive on snow at the full dry weather speed limit and have full control.

Keep the Prius if you like it. Don't get rid of it because you think you "need" AWD.
Old 02-14-11, 08:05 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
I drive RWD and I live in Colorado, visiting Denver frequently, and I manage fine. AWD/4WD isn't always the saving grace people think it is. It's much more about the driver than the car most of the time.
Not that long ago (to some of us, at least, about 25 to 30 years ago), there were very few FWD cars (and no all-season radials) available. We all drove RWD American cars, even up here in the Great White North (Canada). In the winter, we put snow tires on the back only (not all 4 tires as is recommended these days). We did fine. If we were concerned, we put extra weight in the back. Bag(s) of sand would help with the weight and give us something to throw under the rear tires for extra traction.

I now drive a FWD car on all-season tires, still living in the same area. I do not have much trouble in the winter. I never allow my tires to go bald (unlike a surprising number of other people I notice) and I am extra careful on snowy roads. If the steering feels lighter than usual or if the ABS is activating more than usual, I take that as a sign that the roads are slippery and to slow down. If the roads are really bad, I stay home. No problems.

Be cautious if you are driving an AWD/4WD vehicle: do NOT become over confident. AWD/4WD may give you extra traction to go, but does not help you to stop. It may get you deeper into trouble before you realize that you cannot get out, requiring that much more effort to get you back on the road.
Old 02-15-11, 05:30 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

so...

for FWD, snow tires are pretty much mandatory?
for AWD (like WRX), all season is fine?

actually the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 seems to be a great tire that I could leave on FWD or AWD year-round, its a LRR tire that gets great reviews from 400+ people ......
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=V&tab=Reviews

Last edited by bagwell; 02-15-11 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-15-11, 09:46 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

You do NOT want to run any winter tire year round. Below are some reasons why.

- winter rubber is very soft designed for temps below 40° F. In warmer weather they will be way to squirmy and offer lousy handling. And they will wear very quickly.

- winter tires don't last a whole lot of miles compared to all-seasons and therefore you want to maximize their life only in the 3-4 month winter period. Once they wear beyond a certain point, they become ineffective in snow.

Gotta keep two sets of wheels and tires. Remember you're only wearing out one set at a time so it really doesn't cost you more to own two sets.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 02-15-11 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-15-11, 12:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
You do NOT want to run any winter tire year round. Below are some reasons why.

- winter rubber is very soft designed for temps below 40° F. In warmer weather they will be way to squirmy and offer lousy handling. And they will wear very quickly.

- winter tires don't last a whole lot of miles compared to all-seasons and therefore you want to maximize their life only in the 3-4 month winter period. Once they wear beyond a certain point, they become ineffective in snow.

Gotta keep two sets of wheels and tires. Remember you're only wearing out one set at a time so it really doesn't cost you more to own two sets.

you mean for FWD right?....but would all-seasons on a WRX work decent year round?
Old 02-15-11, 12:54 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sulu
Not that long ago (to some of us, at least, about 25 to 30 years ago), there were very few FWD cars (and no all-season radials) available. We all drove RWD American cars, even up here in the Great White North (Canada). In the winter, we put snow tires on the back only (not all 4 tires as is recommended these days). We did fine. If we were concerned, we put extra weight in the back. Bag(s) of sand would help with the weight and give us something to throw under the rear tires for extra traction.
That is the worst advice or suggeston for winter driving that I have ever read on a forum.
Old 02-15-11, 01:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
so...

for FWD, snow tires are pretty much mandatory?
for AWD (like WRX), all season is fine?
If you're only concerned about not getting stuck, then yes, all seasons are ok on AWD vehicle all year round. But if you want improved braking, snow tires are mandatory regardless of drivetrain.
Old 02-15-11, 02:01 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

you mean for FWD right?....but would all-seasons on a WRX work decent year round?
I was strictly talking about winter tires since you had the thought of running X ICE's year round.

All-seasons are good enough on AWD vehicles but there's another thing to remember when it comes to how winter tires handle vs how all-season tires handle in slippery conditions. AWD mainly helps advance the car forward. However, when it comes to stopping, AWD has no advantage to FWD. Stopping is all about tires and winter tires are designed to significantly shorten stopping distances on slippery surfaces. Also, winter tires help keep you on track when steering though snow. When you turn the wheel with all-seasons in snow you may continue going straight, while you are likely to make a clean turn with snow tires.

So if you decide to go with AWD, you can stick with all-seasons but just keep in mind all of these different actions, some of which AWD has no advantage. Many people seem to think AWD makes them invincible but then realize they can't stop any better than anyone else.

If you stay with FWD, outfit your stock wheels with snows and buy custom wheels and throw on all-seasons or summer tires.

Old 02-15-11, 02:22 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

...so is FWD with a set of winter wheels/snow tires sufficient...
Snow tires are what makes a car sufficient for driving in snow, not drivetrain. Even RWD is fine if you've got snow tires on, much less needing AWD. We get more snow where I live (approaching 100" already this season) than in Denver and I drive the IS F as my DD.

Personally, I would take snow tires + RWD over all-seasons + AWD any day.
Old 02-15-11, 08:10 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
That is the worst advice or suggeston for winter driving that I have ever read on a forum.
That was not meant as either advice or suggestion, but merely as an observation of what society here in Southern Ontario did 30+ years ago. Back then, few people drove FWD cars, most drove RWD cars and those people put snow tires on the driving wheels (in other words, the rear wheels) only. We had never heard of the advice to use snow tires on all 4 wheels.
Old 02-15-11, 08:14 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was not meant as either advice or suggestion, but merely as an observation of what society here in Southern Ontario did 30+ years ago. Back then, few people drove FWD cars, most drove RWD cars and those people put snow tires on the driving wheels (in other words, the rear wheels) only. We had never heard of the advice to use snow tires on all 4 wheels.
Fair enough....that's not how it read imo. My apologies.
Old 02-16-11, 07:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
We get more snow where I live (approaching 100" already this season) than in Denver and I drive the IS F as my DD.
cool, so you put snows on your IS-F? pics please (just curious to see)

damn I bet that thing would throw a huge rooster tail of snow!