Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Registration fee is ridiculous high

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 06:03 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
I hope you also enjoy the new additional gas & registration tax passed and signed by CA Democratic super majority and Gov Brown.
All that money goes to social programs and public pensions while the roads and dams are on the verge of collapse, yes, that's Jerry Brown for you!!!

Back to the topic. I got my registration this year, $450.
Old 05-04-17, 07:12 AM
16USBGSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The funny thing is, what happens when the insurance co. (you know how they never seem to want to pay) denies a claim, because they say where the vehicle would be garaged and operated was misrepresented on the app? This happened to someone I know. I think the way this story goes, is, I never had to claim anything on insurance anyway (I know I've paid for years and gotten little in return, a windshield), so I'll take my chances.....but in the event of an accident, there's a material lie that has to be made, and it's plain and simply fraud. It's a joke for the person in the vid to say it's about hating rich people. I don't hate rich people, I work for them and am able to have my lifestyle as a result, I appreciate rich people!

edit: I could be wrong as well, so enlighten me...I can think of a case where a buddy has a co. car, so his car is registered in NY, but the owner is listed on Olive St., St. Louis, MO. I don't know where NYS thinks the car is garaged, nor the insurance policy that has to cover the liability in NY. And the buddy lives in CT, so no property tax is being collected in CT, yet the car is garaged and driven there.
My insurance company always asks where the car is going (Address) to be stored. If it is in a garage, how many estimated miles a year it will be driven. You are protected in all US states with any insurance policy. I could buy my policy here in SC and then decide I want to ship my car to Hawaii for a week that I am going to be there, stupid as it would be a ton cheaper to rent a car but that is not the point of this example, it would still be under the coverage from my SC insurance company. Same with company cars and insurance. Where I think you think there is a fraud is that car is registered in one state, then housed one and driven in another. This is just a legal loophole. It is why on the east coast when you go to rent a car 95% of the time it will have a Florida tag because it is a boat load cheaper to register the cars there, pay the taxes there, etc. The other states have been accustomed to racking people over the coals with vehicle taxes that they just hope people don't figure this out. Some states like VA are trying hard to crack down on this. But there really is nothing they can do short of banning all cars from Montana and all LLC's from Delaware. Either that or propose a reasonable tax on the vehicles. Which they wont.
Old 05-04-17, 12:58 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

its crazy registration goes by state some are differnet than others for example if ou are moving a car that you currently have owned for 3 or 4 years alreayd for example and move form your current state to the state of LA they will charge you sales tax on your vehicle that you already own.

Where when i moved from Florida to Utah it only cost me 6 dollars to transfer the title from a FL title to a Utah tittle.

My registration is 130 per year but thats because i have special plates if it was not special it would cost me like 80 a year i think.

where in some states like MT if your car is over 10 years old you can get a lifetime registration that never expires from what i understand
Old 05-04-17, 01:53 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wow thats BS that they charge sales tax on a car you already own if you move there. For new residents in TX its something like $90 to register a car you moved in with.
Old 05-04-17, 02:23 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
wow thats BS that they charge sales tax on a car you already own if you move there. For new residents in TX its something like $90 to register a car you moved in with.

yeah every state is diffenet and we just have the politicians to thank for it
i only knew that about LA because a friend told me that when he moved from NY to LA like 10 years ago he had to pay the value tax that was on the title for the sales price of it

also in the State of flroida its like 250 or 275 dollars the first time you register a vehicle ontop of the regular registration fees they call this a road use tax so every state is difffernt
Old 05-04-17, 09:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
of course Henry!!!! But I'm used to it now, hell I live in this town for 20 yrs now.
wow i didn't now nv has such high registration! by comparison people in ca should stop complaining!
Old 05-05-17, 04:43 AM
WilliamPra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here as yours!!!
Old 05-05-17, 05:08 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

$555 to renew my '14 ES 350 in Nebraska. It drops a little each year, supposedly based on vehicle value.
Old 05-05-17, 05:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
$555 to renew my '14 ES 350 in Nebraska. It drops a little each year, supposedly based on vehicle value.
Oh so the chart my buddy emailed me is not accurate. It listed MS and NE as the two cheapest states.

I just think it's funny that people would think, hmmm, where should I register my new car, so that I pay the least in fees, to include beating their own state out of tax revenue. Then, when the insurance agent asks, "How many miles is it driven to work, and where is it garaged?" They would say, Montana, and really not feel it's fraud. Insurance investigators, I hear, are not as dumb as we think. They have it on their checklist to check all social media....
Old 05-05-17, 11:34 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

$130 for 2 years in Louisiana for special plates, otherwise, it used to cost me $75 for 2 years for regular plates. Slap on $18 every year for emissions.
Old 05-05-17, 01:13 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Zmon
$130 for 2 years in Louisiana for special plates, otherwise, it used to cost me $75 for 2 years for regular plates. Slap on $18 every year for emissions.
i forgot abou tthe 2 year plates in LA i never did those
but you have to do a emissions eveyr year even if you have your 2 year registration? wow now that is messed up
Old 05-06-17, 12:16 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Its also messed up in TN, that only certain counties in TN test for emissions. Davidson county(Nashville proper, City/count is all the same government), and its suburban counties of Wilson, Williamson, Sumner and Rutherford. Hamilton County(Chattanooga) also requires an annual emissions inspection. What really grinds my gears about this is that #1, if your car is one year old, it still has to pass an emissions check. Learned this the other day from the lady at the emissions testing place. There is a convent right down the road from the emissions testing van, the lady working there commented about the sister/nun driving up in what looked like a brand new Honda Oddessey, said the convent bought 30 brand new vans last year, so to get them re-registered for this year(i'm guessing they are model year 2016 vans), they have to drive them all through the emissions check at $9 a pop, but most importantly, its a waste of the nun's(and everybody's) time, newish cars now days aren't going to be grossly polluting.

Yet at the same time in these select counties, emissions testing goes all the way back to model year 1975. I mean come on, how many people are actually driving something that damn old??? Makes owning some of my favorite malaise era land yatchs and trucks(Lincoln Mark VI, Donnie Brasco's 1977 Coupe Deville, an older 70's/80's Chevy truck with a carburator) just about impossible where I live. Yet if I lived in Cheatam or Robertson counties, which border Davidson, I don't do emissions checks, I can live 2 miles outside the county line, commute 15 miles to downtown Nashville, and I can cut the cat converter off my car, or run a damn 572 big block chevy with 600hp in my 1984 dually pickup or 1977 Monte Carlo if I wanted to. But no, I live 15 miles on the wrong side of the border, I'm not allowed any sort of fun like that. I swear every person that has an older car in counties that don't emission test, they cut the cat converter off that sob if it gives them problems. The way we do emsissons testing in Tennessee is completely ineffective, either make it mandatory for the whole state or just abolish it.

As it stands, with extremely high real estate prices and rents in Nashville, getting your emissions checked is just another regressive tax on the working class, your check engine light is on in your 10 year old car with 150k miles for something that doesn't increase emissions, yet it costs $500 to fix, you fail, get your car fixed, pay the "tax" to get your car registered for next year, but you are trapped, can't afford anything newer, and once again next year right around the time of registration your check engine light comes on again.
Old 05-06-17, 01:28 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
i forgot abou tthe 2 year plates in LA i never did those
but you have to do a emissions eveyr year even if you have your 2 year registration? wow now that is messed up
Yeah, it's the one cheap thing about LA I guess. Insurance is the real killer here, getting robbed $700 for my IS alone every 6 months. No tickets or accidents. As for emissions, due to the non-attainment area around Baton Rouge, we're required to get an emissions test every year. Brand new vehicles get a 2 year tag from the start, after that, you can only get 1 year tags. Diesels are allowed to buy 2 year tags. I know New Orleans has annual inspections, don't think they test for emissions though. Not sure about the rest of the state.