Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's unstoppable Land Cruiser turns 60

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 09:20 AM
LexFather

Thumbs up Toyota's unstoppable Land Cruiser turns 60

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/02/t...-60/#continued

SIXTY YEARS OF THE TOYOTA LAND CRUISER

Toyota's mighty 4x4 stronger than ever, 60 years on from original model launch
More powerful, Euro 5-compliant 3.0- D-4D engine for Land Cruiser
Introduction of new 60th Anniversary flagship models for Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser V8
60th Anniversary models, on sale now, priced £49,950 (3.0 D-4D) and £61,950 (V8)
Land Cruiser newly available in three-door version

The Toyota Land Cruiser clocks up 60 years this year, stronger and better than ever. Far from aging gracefully, the legendary 4x4 remains one of the toughest machines on four wheels: it's conquered the Arctic (and Antarctic) wastes, traversed deserts, ploughed its way through tropical rain forests and generally taken the worst the world can throw at it in its stride.

As Land Cruiser reaches this landmark, Toyota is launching new top-of-the-range 60th Anniversary versions of both its standard five-door Land Cruiser and the flagship Land Cruiser V8. They have the same robust construction and sophisticated array of driving and control systems for exceptional on and off-road performance as their established sister models, together with some extra style and equipment details.

There's more power and torque on tap, as well, as the 3.0-litre D-4D engine fitted to Land Cruiser has been re-engineered. As a result maximum output is up from 171 to 188bhp and maximum torque from 410 to 420Nm – performance gains achieved without harming fuel economy or emissions levels. With the benefit of a new diesel particulate filter (DPF), the engine meets the latest, Euro 5 emissions standards.

History
Land Cruiser's ancestry can be traced back to the Toyota BJ of 1951, a truck-derived model that was initially developed for military use. Within six months of its launch the BJ was hailed as a champion, becoming the first vehicle to be driven to the sixth hill station of Japan's Mount Fuji, 2,500 metres up. As a result of this feat, the BJ was added to the Japanese police fleet and the model's long-term success began. In 1954 the new Type 25 BJ was given a generic model name – Land Cruiser – which has been used ever since.

As Toyota began its programme of worldwide exports and growth during the 1950s and ʼ60s, it found many established markets were already well-served by American and European car makers. This prompted the company to focus instead on emerging markets in Middle and Far East and South America, where Land Cruiser's tough performance made it a strong proposition.

The Land Cruiser concept was refined in the mid-1960s, as Toyota responded to an American trend for more refined four-wheel drive vehicles. The introduction in 1966 of the first Land Cruiser Station Wagon series – forerunner of today's Land Cruiser V8 – catered for this growing market, joining the range alongside its more rugged stablemate.

Further development of the Land Cruiser concept came in 1985, when Toyota recognised the potential for a model that could offer the manoeuvrability and uncompromised off-road strengths of the Heavy Duty series with the comfort and refinement of the Station Wagon. The result was the first Land Cruiser "Light Duty" series.

From this point Land Cruiser progressed through two further generations, in 1996 (known in the UK as the Land Cruiser Colorado) and 2002, before the launch of the current model in 2009. The larger Land Cruiser Amazon, also introduced in 1996, (replacing the Land Cruiser 80 series) was replaced with Land Cruiser V8 in February 2008.

To date more than five million Land Cruiser models have been sold in 188 different countries and regions worldwide.

60th Anniversary models
The new Land Cruiser 60th Anniversary takes its position at the top of the model range for 2011, adding selected extra features to the LC5 grade it replaces.

Key features include:-

Triple-zone climate control air conditioning
Rear privacy glass
18-inch alloys
Toyota Easy Flat rear seat system with third row seats (powered)
Leather upholstery
Electric, heated front seats
Rain-sensing wipers
Dusk-sensing headlights
Auto-dimming rear view mirror
Rear parking monitor
Front and rear parking sensors
HDD navigation system
JBL17-speaker premium audio
Rear seat entertainment system
Crawl Control
Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS)/Active height control
Multi-terrain Monitor
Steering Angle Display
Multi-terrain Select system
60th Anniversary badging and carpet mats*
Chrome exhaust finisher*
Chrome front fog light surrounds*
Clear-finish rear light clusters*
(* additional to previous LC5 specification)

The Land Cruiser V8 60th Anniversary also delivers an impressive package of performance, comfort and premium quality features:-

Pre-Crash Safety system (PCS)
Multi-terrain ABS
4-Wheel Active Height Control and Adaptive Variable Suspension (4W AHC & AVS)
Crawl Control system
40Gb HDD full-map satellite navigation with Bluetooth
Rear view monitor with park assist system
Front and rear parking sensors
Four-zone climate control air conditioning
14-speaker JBL audio system with iPod integration, USB and Auxiliary connection
Premium ICE with twin DVD player/monitor tablets*
Six-disc DVD autochanger
Digital tuner
20in Alloy wheels
Full black leather upholstery*
Chrome exhaust finisher*
Chrome side trims*
60th Anniversary badging*
(* additional to regular Land Cruiser V8 specification)

Both models are available now, the Land Cruiser 60th Anniversary priced £49,950 and the Land Cruiser V8 60th Anniversary £61,950.

Three-door Land Cruiser
Toyota has reintroduced a three-door version of Land Cruiser. Available exclusively in LC3 trim with manual transmission only, five seats, it comes equipped with 17-inch alloy wheels, vehicle stability control (VSC) with active traction control (A-TRC), climate control, smart entry and start system, Bluetooth, six-speaker audio system and front fog lamps.

The Land Cruiser three-door is on sale now, priced £30,395 on the road.

Old 02-02-11, 11:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

woohoo! fantastic car, i didn't really appreciate it as much until i worked on a few. it's an amazing car with the toyota badge
Old 02-03-11, 01:01 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THe 80-series have always been a favorite for me. It's interesting to see so many as soccer mom vehicles compared to their original intent.
Old 02-03-11, 01:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The current LC is sissified, and isn't much more than a pick up truck with some nice leather.

Didn't the original LC actually start as a Jeep that was being built by Toyota, and then Toyota just started making and selling it as their own?
Old 02-03-11, 02:08 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
The current LC is sissified, and isn't much more than a pick up truck with some nice leather.

Didn't the original LC actually start as a Jeep that was being built by Toyota, and then Toyota just started making and selling it as their own?
Lol "sissified", really? Is that your professional opinion doctor or just an informal one ?

Just curious, have you driven the current US LC? It is a VERY VERY capable vehicle in all kinds of environments, conditions, and terrain. Calling it just a pickup truck with leather is quite insulting to the LC. No pickup truck, except possibly the Ford SVT Raptor can even match the current US LC in off-roading ability, not to mention luxury. Even the Raptor I doubt could match the current LC200 off-road.

Many years ago, LC buyers wanted an LC model that was more luxurious, and that is what Toyota did. Toyota still offers "no frills" LC models all over the world, but the fact is many LC buyers also want luxury along with the legendary ability of the LC.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 02-03-11 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-03-11, 02:53 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS wanted
THe 80-series have always been a favorite for me. It's interesting to see so many as soccer mom vehicles compared to their original intent.
I miss my 1993 FJ80 basically every day. I rode around in a Miata right after the LC (before the 2GS), and the dynamic shock...of nothing even being remotely similar was quite high.
Old 02-03-11, 03:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

curious, sissified as in how? given that i have driven my share of new 4runner, landcruiser, tundra, and sequoia, i think the lc ride and capability is quite impressive. ride in a sequoia and now that's a freaking truck
Old 02-03-11, 03:36 PM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
curious, sissified as in how? given that i have driven my share of new 4runner, landcruiser, tundra, and sequoia, i think the lc ride and capability is quite impressive. ride in a sequoia and now that's a freaking truck
I agree:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/feature...ear/index.html

I love my 08 4Runner and still miss my 00 4Runner.
Old 02-03-11, 03:53 PM
Blackberry
Driver School Candidate

I like the LC very much. Does anybody know why Toyota does not sell it in Canada? I am sure it would have been a good seller here.
Old 02-03-11, 04:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy 60th, I enjoyed driving the early version on and off the road in my younger days (it was owned by a friend).
Old 02-03-11, 05:57 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've always admired the Land Cruiser and its capabilities. Happy 60th
Old 02-03-11, 06:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The current LC to the old one is what regular LR is to LR Defender, what Grand Cherokee is to Wrangler Rubicon, what MB ML is to Gelandewagen, etc.

Its oriented far more towards luxury than offroading prowess. It doesn't have locking axles to the best of my knowledge, its riding on soft, quiet tires, its body panels are not easy to replace. Its just another luxury SUV with some offroad capability, but nothing to write home about. Its not true to its roots at all.
Old 02-03-11, 09:35 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

LC holds a special place in my heart. One of the reasons why I like Toyotas so much.
Old 02-03-11, 09:46 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

someone should post a pic of every LC gen made
Old 02-04-11, 12:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackberry
I like the LC very much. Does anybody know why Toyota does not sell it in Canada? I am sure it would have been a good seller here.
Toyota doesn't sell it in Canada I believe simply due to low demand combined with high price. They do sell the Lexus cousin, the LX570 here.

Originally Posted by Och
The current LC to the old one is what regular LR is to LR Defender, what Grand Cherokee is to Wrangler Rubicon, what MB ML is to Gelandewagen, etc.

Its oriented far more towards luxury than offroading prowess. It doesn't have locking axles to the best of my knowledge, its riding on soft, quiet tires, its body panels are not easy to replace. Its just another luxury SUV with some offroad capability, but nothing to write home about. Its not true to its roots at all.
As I stated in my post, Toyota branched the LC into two "model lines" many years ago; a "no-frills" LC and a more luxurious LC that STILL has off-road prowess.

Tell me, do old or no frills LC models have the ability to disconnect the front and rear stabilizer bars for greater wheel articulation? The current US LC200 can. The current LC200 also has CRAWL control, which greatly helps in areas that have very rough ground or steep grades. Older LC models don't have CRAWL control.

The current US LC200 does have a locking Torsen limited-slip center differential.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...spx?ncid=12073

Originally Posted by Toyota
The transfer case employs a Torsen limited-slip locking center differential. The locking function is actuated by a push-button switch. High and low ranges are selected with a rotary dial, located next to the HVAC and audio control panels. Indicator lights in the right-hand combination meter on the Land Cruiser's dash panel indicate when low range and/or center lock is selected.
So while older no frills LCs do have things such as easily-replaceable body panels, or possibly bigger tires, they also lack the features that the new LC has, such as being able to disengage front and rear stabilizer bars as well as CRAWL control.

As I said, the current US LC200 is a very capable off-roader, while also being luxurious and comfortable on-road and in extreme hot/cold conditions. I think credit needs to be given here where it's due.

Quick Reply: Toyota's unstoppable Land Cruiser turns 60