Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Who do you think has the worst grille(s)?
Acura
61.47%
Ford
3.67%
Hyundai
0.92%
Honda
1.83%
Lincoln
22.02%
Mazda
3.67%
Nissan
1.83%
Toyota
4.59%
Other
0%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

CARs.com; 10 Ugliest Car Grilles (NWS you might puke)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-11, 12:38 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

acura is terrible, lincoln as well, mazda looks like its smiling too much reminds of that cartoon talking car...
Old 02-05-11, 12:59 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

While Acura is a buck tooth car from the backwoods , but nothing can be as bad as the 'Cheshire Cat' - Lincoln is the worst i've ever seen.
Old 02-05-11, 09:57 PM
Nicaidas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of terrible grills out there, hard to pick the worst one... the Mazda's look like a grinning idiot (or 'joker' as someone else said.. I like that one), and the Murano has always been pretty bad, although previous gen was even worse.

Unfortunately for the TL, the beak on it is the one and only reason why I would never consider buying one of those, because aside from that it seems to be a great car. Overall, I think I have to give the vote to Lincoln (all models)... hideous!
Old 02-05-11, 11:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Hilarious thread! Really sad though that high paid designers came up with these, were then approved by whoever in charge, and then affect the lives of all of us who have to see them on the road. What's even worse is they make fools of the buyers. These people drive around with silly looking front ends, not realizing it's a reflection of their personal taste.

What I want to know and see is how these designers are told they made a mistake and what their punishment is. If I designed a failing product at my work, I'd be out of a job. At least Mazda has admitted their mistake. For Acura to keep on going and continue to blame their slow sales on other factors is a slap in the face to dealers and insulting to the buying public. This arrogance makes me not like the company beyond just their ugly grilles.

My order:

1) Acura
2) Lincoln
3) Mazda
4) Murano/Rogue
5) Pilot/Ridgeline
6) Genesis sedan
7) Genesis coupe. Pat, can I buy a grille for $100 please?
8) 2010-12 Mercedes grilles. Retro is a step back. Not advancing into the future with something new and modern reveals a lack of forward thinking and creativity. GM, Chrysler, and Ford have paid dearly with this mentality in the past 15 years.
9) all Chevy grilles. Still using silly, plain, and old-fashioned single bar since the 80's. Get with the program and step into the '10's.

On the plus side, I think the Ford F-250 grille looks perfect for a big, industrial truck.

Venza grille itself is nice. It's the emblem jutting into it that looks harsh. When an emblem dictates the shape of the grille, you are playing with fire. Camry suffers same problem.
Old 02-06-11, 01:08 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Among these ten particular vehicles I picked Honda Pilot. Acura's grille isn't that bad in my opinion but the overall design of the Acura vehicles especially TL.
Old 02-06-11, 02:33 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i like how acura is still in denial.

don't they get a lot of hate mail?
Old 02-06-11, 04:35 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Of the ones listed, I think the Acura is the worst, followed by the Lincoln SUV and chrome F250. (The non-chrome F250s look OK.) The other really ugly grille / front end treatment was the Subaru Tribeca when they first came out.
Old 02-06-11, 05:22 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think its safe to say that Acura wins this competition by a landslide. They have 48 out of 83 votes so far.
Old 02-07-11, 07:57 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What people don't realize is that the Honda Pilot grille is actually a HDMI port for spaceships to plug into.

Lincoln by far is the worst.
Old 02-07-11, 02:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oblivionis
What people don't realize is that the Honda Pilot grille is actually a HDMI port for spaceships to plug into.

Lincoln by far is the worst.
Good one! Also, the Pilot and Ridgeline grilles can be used as heating elements or for branding cows.
Old 02-07-11, 09:18 PM
seanlee
Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

My order:

1) Acura
2) Lincoln
you seriously think Lincoln's grill looks better than Acura?

not to say Acura's grill look good or anything (they are horrible), but Lincoln, especially in this picture, is horrid.
Old 02-07-11, 10:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by seanlee
you seriously think Lincoln's grill looks better than Acura?

not to say Acura's grill look good or anything (they are horrible), but Lincoln, especially in this picture, is horrid.
Absolutely. With Lincoln, you don't expect much. So the anteater grille just goes along with the rest of the poor styling. With Acura, the rest of the car looks halfway decent- making the grille stand out even more.
Old 02-08-11, 12:34 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

acura for sure.
Old 02-25-11, 08:31 PM
huntgar
Driver School Candidate

The lincoln grills (minus the navigator) don't look as bad when looking at the vehicle as a whole, and I think the F-250 grill works on a large truck. Acura has desecrated it's vehicles with grills that to me make no sense in the design scheme. It seems like the japanese automakers (Toyota, Honda, and Nissan) are going in a new direction as far as design goes, and the direction is unattractive. Whatever happened to a classy, well designed car? Anyways, I just hope the Lexus design team steers away from what Toyota has done to its lineup.
Old 02-26-11, 08:42 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

I kind of like the acura, but the lincolns cheese grater and waterfall are not for me.

Quick Reply: CARs.com; 10 Ugliest Car Grilles (NWS you might puke)