Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Ford Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I thought the american car market was supposed to be about value. Where is the value in paying nearly 50,000 smackers for something american made, when the same money will get you a NICE RX, with a better reliability track record, and proven engineering by a top notch company. Not saying that Ford isnt any of those things, and this is a NICE rig. However, Like the new Durango and the Chevy Traverse, it is NOT 50k loaded nice. People can get the same features in a Kia/Hyundai with as good/better build quality and a KICKASS warranty for almost half the price. DUH.
A lot of domestic American vehicles run 45-50K or more these days.....Ford King Ranch, Dodge Ram Longhorn, and a number of large Ford and GM SUVs, not to mention Cadillacs and Lincolns. You don't have to pay 45-50K for an Explorer if you get a lower-line version....but I agree that 45-50K is still a lot of cash even for a higher-line Explorer.
Old 02-01-11, 08:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
+1, price is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high for an Explorer.....who the hell would be one for even $45K?
For this reason, we might (?) see the lower-line models outselling the more expensive Limited model.

The Eddie Bauer models (formerly the top-line trim level) seem to have been dropped......just imagine how much they would run if they were still in production.

thanks for the review MM !!!! excellent as usual!
Thanks.
Old 02-01-11, 08:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Mike...
Thanks, Russ.

Between the JGC and Explorer, from a handling, interior functionality and luxury perspective, which would you choose? VERY interested in your take...
I think, from a reliability standpoint, the Explorer might be a somewhat safer buy.......the JGC's history of below-average reliability (per Consumer Reports), particularly in drive-line hardware, does not inspire confidence. of course, both vehicles are all-new, and right now, are an unknown in potential reliability. Interior-wise, I somewhat prefer the slightly richer looks of the JGC, though the new Explorer also has an attractive interior, particularly with the two-tone leather on my test-car. I don't like the JGC's zig-zag shifter inside, though. The Explorer seems slightly larger inside, and will (probably) functionally carry more. On the road, both vehicles have smooth impressive drivetrains, handle reasonably well, and are comfortable-riding in the chassis department, though the JGC, being Trail-Rated and with much higher approach/breakover/departure angles, has a clear advantage if and when you are going to go off-road into the boonies.
Old 02-01-11, 10:33 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Great review! That price is ridiculous. As many others on here stated, if i didn't need the 3rd row, an RX would be in my hands before an explorer.
Old 02-01-11, 10:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Eddie Bauer models (formerly the top-line trim level) seem to have been dropped......just imagine how much they would run if they were still in production.
I agree these new loaded Explorer prices are getting awfully high.

Note: Eddie Bauer models were not formerly the top of the line and/or most expensive. The Limited version was top of the line and most expensive with even more standard equipment (example being power-operated 3rd row seats).
Old 02-01-11, 01:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

all the 'concerns' on here about high prices are a joke. my question is, "compared to what?" also, mike reviewed a loaded limited ($45k), hardly what most people will buy. the rx isn't comparable really either (although i love the RX) - not 7 seater, doesn't offer dual moon roofs, not as big, and as josh showed, more generally a lot more expensive ($49k in his config). finally, it seems a lot of price critics on CL are those who don't buy new vehicles anyway.

the explorer isn't for everyone. but it is a good value if it's what you want.

and of course, thanks mike for a GREAT in-depth review. and you're right, i don't need awd here. (70 outside right now!)
Old 02-01-11, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrMut
Great review!
Thanks.

That price is ridiculous. As many others on here stated, if i didn't need the 3rd row, an RX would be in my hands before an explorer.
Though the Explorer is not loud by any means, the RX is definitely quieter on the road. It is one of the quietest and most refined SUVs I've driven. The RX, of course, also has a proven reliability record.....though the latest 2010 redesign has probably not been on the road long enough to gauge its long-term reliability.

The Explorer, though, has a little more personality, as I pointed out on a previous post. The RX approaches perfection in smoothness and refinement, but, like the Acura MDX, drives somewhat like an appliance.
Old 02-01-11, 04:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree these new loaded Explorer prices are getting awfully high.
Yes, the top-line models are expensive, but the new Explorer is a lot of vehicle, versatile, with a (generally) decent, good-quality interior, and is pleasant-driving as well. You pay to play, but do get something for your money. This is not the old Twin-I-Beam model that rode and handled like a truck, lacked refinement, and had tires and PSIs of questionable safety.

The only problem with the new model is that you can't do much off-road with it or tow quite as much, but few SUV owners these days actually do that anyway.......they are bought primarily as people-moving station wagons.

Note: Eddie Bauer models were not formerly the top of the line and/or most expensive. The Limited version was top of the line and most expensive with even more standard equipment (example being power-operated 3rd row seats).
Probably depends on options as to which one costs more. Both the Limited and Eddie Bauer models were quite pricey. I don't know why Ford and Eddie Bauer split up in their marketing (I might ask at the D.C. Auto Show next time I go), but I suspect it was for the same reasons why Subaru and L.L. Bean did a couple of years ago.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-01-11 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
all the 'concerns' on here about high prices are a joke. my question is, "compared to what?" also, mike reviewed a loaded limited ($45k), hardly what most people will buy. the rx isn't comparable really either (although i love the RX) - not 7 seater, doesn't offer dual moon roofs, not as big, and as josh showed, more generally a lot more expensive ($49k in his config). finally, it seems a lot of price critics on CL are those who don't buy new vehicles anyway.
In this D.C. area, with its stable jobs, income, and economy, the expensive loaded versions will probably sell, but nationwide, you may have a point. And, of course, 15 years ago, the Explorer and Jeep Grand Cherokee owned the mid-sized market....there was little other significant competition. Today, that's not the case.....they are only two players in literally a sea of dozens.

and of course, thanks mike for a GREAT in-depth review.
Thanks Hope that makes up for the relatively long absence while I was recovering from surgery.

and you're right, I don't need awd here. (70 outside right now!)
Yep.....except for the severe thunderstorms and squall lines that sometimes accompany cold fronts and low-pressure systems across the state, Florida is a great place to be in the winter. In the summer, though, well................

Here in D.C., we're shivering our way through the second severe winter in a row. It's even worse up north...been brutal in New England.
Old 02-01-11, 05:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably depends on options as to which one costs more. Both the Limited and Eddie Bauer models were quite pricey. I don't know why Ford and Eddie Bauer split up in their marketing (I might ask at the D.C. Auto Show next time I go), but I suspect it was for the same reasons why Subaru and L.L. Bean did a couple of years ago.
It doesn't depend on options, the Eddie Bauer has a lower list price than the Limited without adding additional options (specifically $33,280 vs $36,280 in model year 2010). A fully loaded Limited has a higher price than a fully loaded EB version too. The Eddie Bauer version was historically a good seller because it was well-equipped with popular features and accessories without being too expensive.

Most likely the split with Eddie Bauer was related to cost of licensing (a business decision due to costs that didn't justify incremental sales increase).

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-01-11 at 05:30 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-01-11, 05:14 PM
mondo540
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review as usual MM, and glad you are getting your groove back.....

I've been wanting to upgrade my '00 4runner to something much newer and nicer and am interested in the Explorer, JGC, MDX...so have been awaiting your review on the Explorer...I realize 2 are 7 seaters and JGC is a 5 seater but that's my candidate list for now anyway.

All have pros and cons of course, i.e you can get v8's but with only 5 speed tranny (8 speed coming sometime), or v6's with 6 speeds....some nice stuff is only included in high $$ option groupings, etc. which they all seem to be doing.

The MDX is built in Canada and you will find some vocal owners of these rigs saying the quality is just not there as it would be in Japan built vehicles... dash panels gaps, paint issues, etc....you also have no keyless entry/start, no heated steering wheel, which seems to be glaring omissions....to me anyway....

Chrysler seems to be offering most of that...heated steering, heated and ventilated front seats, 2nd row heated seats, keyless entry and pushbutton start....these are nice options to have. I know people may think it's stupid, but I had a heated steering wheel in my '98 540 BMW...it was part of a cold weather package and it was nice. And the seat heaters would roast your a$$, not like some of the crap we get for heated seats today.

Ford, Expl. seems nice but fully topped out at 50K or so for AWD with options, which is what I like to do, I'm thinking a JGC Overland Hemi might be calling my name...we'll see....I am trying to hold off for that 8 speed tranny and 2nd year of production before I look at them all.

Thanks again for the thorough review on the Explorer.

Last edited by mondo540; 02-01-11 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mondo540
Nice review as usual MM, and gald you are getting your groove back.....
Thanks.

I've been wanting to upgrade my '00 4runner to something much newer and nicer and am interested in the Explorer, JGC, MDX...so have been awaiting your review on the Explorer...I realize 2 are 7 seaters and JGC is a 5 seater but that's my candidate list for now anyway.
Yes....with a vehicle 11 years old, I can see why you would maybe want a change.

All have pros and cons of course, i.e you can get v8's but with only 5 speed tranny (8 speed coming sometime), or v6's with 6 speeds....some nice stuff is only included in high $$ option groupings, etc. which they all seem to be doing.
I wouldn't worry about not having an 8-speed. IMO, 8 speeds, IMO, are just overkill...I've discussed that on other threads.

The MDX is built in Canada and you will find some vocal owners of these rigs saying the quality is just not there as it would be in Japan built vehicles... dash panels gaps, paint issues, etc....you also have no keyless entry/start, no heated steering wheel, which seems to be glaring omissions....to me anyway....
Consumer Reports (which, IMO, is a credible publication) gives all MDX models, regardless of the plant they were built in, high marks for quality and reliability. Like the Toyota Highlander, though, my experience is that they tend to be somewhat boring in their road manners and drive like an appliance.

Ford, Expl. seems nice but fully topped out at 50K or so for AWD with options, which is what I like to do, I'm thinking a JGC Overland Hemi might be calling my name...we'll see....I am trying to hold off for that 8 speed tranny and 2nd year of production before I look at them all.

Thanks again for the thorough review on the Explorer.
Sure.....anytime.

I realize 2 are 7 seaters and JGC is a 5 seater but that's my candidate list for now anyway.
Keep in mind, though, that the Explorer's 3-row seat is mainly for kids or small adults...not normal-sized adults. If you want a 3rd-row seat for real adults, you generelaly have to look at something like the GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave class or larger.

Here's my 2011 JGC review, if you want it for a comparison:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-cherokee.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-01-11 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 09:48 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

the explorer isn't for everyone. but it is a good value if it's what you want.

and of course, thanks mike for a GREAT in-depth review. and you're right, i don't need awd here. (70 outside right now!)
I agree, the RX is in a slightly different class, but really the RX is in a class of its own if you think about it. I was simply illustrating alternatives. I dont buy new because I dont believe it to be smart when financing. If I was purchasing cash, outright, there would be no other way for me to go IMO, but new.

A lot of domestic American vehicles run 45-50K or more these days.....Ford King Ranch, Dodge Ram Longhorn, and a number of large Ford and GM SUVs, not to mention Cadillacs and Lincolns. You don't have to pay 45-50K for an Explorer if you get a lower-line version....but I agree that 45-50K is still a lot of cash even for a higher-line Explorer.
I know, Does not mean I have to like it though. Lets face it, on $2,400 a month (military Salary), 45k for a vehicle is stretching things a bit. Also, I would expect full size pickups in the 3/4 to 1 ton range, and higher end SUV's like Suburbans (loaded), caddy's, lincoln's, Expeditions, and things of this nature to approach 50k. But not a Mid Size, american made family-hauler SUV. Just never thought I would see the day. Let someone else buy them new, I will pick it up when they unload it in 2-3 years for half (or better) the price.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-02-11 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-02-11, 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500, 2011 Hyundai Equus, 2012 Ford Focus.

(I looked at all three at the D.C. Auto Show)
Old 02-03-11, 08:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I agree, the RX is in a slightly different class, but really the RX is in a class of its own if you think about it. I was simply illustrating alternatives. I dont buy new because I dont believe it to be smart when financing. If I was purchasing cash, outright, there would be no other way for me to go IMO, but new.

I know, Does not mean I have to like it though. Lets face it, on $2,400 a month (military Salary), 45k for a vehicle is stretching things a bit. Also, I would expect full size pickups in the 3/4 to 1 ton range, and higher end SUV's like Suburbans (loaded), caddy's, lincoln's, Expeditions, and things of this nature to approach 50k. But not a Mid Size, american made family-hauler SUV. Just never thought I would see the day. Let someone else buy them new, I will pick it up when they unload it in 2-3 years for half (or better) the price.
I agree with a lot of your views here from a strictly financing point of view, but there is still nothing like having a brand-new vehicle....there's a reason why they cost more. You can also (often) get a brand-new vehicle for lower payments if you lease....that's one reason, among several, why leasing has become so popular.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Ford Explorer