Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Latest Honda & Acura commercials cars shown "drifting" WTH

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 12:46 PM
ChickenIS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Latest Honda & Acura commercials cars shown "drifting" WTH

I keep seeing these TSX and Accord commercials showing the tailend kicked out in slowmo with the front wheels turning much faster than the rears

Last edited by ChickenIS; 01-30-11 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-30-11, 01:00 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because its FWD
Old 01-30-11, 01:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Notice also in the narration of the commercial they say "started with a sports car"
Old 01-30-11, 02:27 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Notice also in the narration of the commercial they say "started with a sports car"
Yep, that made me chuckle.
Old 01-30-11, 02:57 PM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe they are trying to mimic the newer IS350 commercial......

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rcial-gap.html
Old 01-30-11, 04:21 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It just looked incredibly tacky to me. The appropriate fix is to build a proper RWD vehicle.

The commercial might be doing more harm than good. FWD is seen as nothing short of a failure by many sports car enthusiasts.
Old 01-30-11, 05:26 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by syzygy
It just looked incredibly tacky to me. The appropriate fix is to build a proper RWD vehicle.

The commercial might be doing more harm than good. FWD is seen as nothing short of a failure by many sports car enthusiasts.
And 95% of the buying public doesn't even know the difference between FWD, RWD, 4WD, and AWD. But Acura has bigger things to worry about besides drivetrain layout. . . like a competitive product with competitive pricing and competitive styling. Those three things will kill them faster than their FWD layout. The Integras, Legends, Vigors, TSX's, and TL's of the mid to late 90's were great. I'd really have a hard time taking an Acura over a Camry, Accord, or even Buick nowadays. For that matter, even Hyundai has become a major competitor to Acura. I'd much rather take a Genesis or Equus over a TL.
Old 01-30-11, 05:38 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickenIS
I keep seeing these TSX and Accord commercials showing the tailend kicked out in slowmo with the front wheels turning much faster than the rears
i keep seeing the same commercial too!! honda best keep dat damn fwd drifting off road... last thing you want is accord coupe drivers drifting into parked cards
Old 01-30-11, 06:09 PM
shhhua
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
And 95% of the buying public doesn't even know the difference between FWD, RWD, 4WD, and AWD. But Acura has bigger things to worry about besides drivetrain layout. . . like a competitive product with competitive pricing and competitive styling. Those three things will kill them faster than their FWD layout. The Integras, Legends, Vigors, TSX's, and TL's of the mid to late 90's were great. I'd really have a hard time taking an Acura over a Camry, Accord, or even Buick nowadays. For that matter, even Hyundai has become a major competitor to Acura. I'd much rather take a Genesis or Equus over a TL.
I agree. I can't stand the new styles of their cars. Like you said, I'd rather take a Camry or even a Genesis over one.
Old 01-30-11, 07:46 PM
LexFather

lol, seeing the red Accord drifting in the desert like the BMW, Benz, Audi, Lexus ads really made me chuckle seeing a big FWD coupe act like its a RWD sports car/sedan. It appeals to ricers though which is one of their big markets and I didn't want to start a thread to incite a riot.

But seriously, these new TSX wagon ads are really ricer and beyond lame. Aiming for grown up ricers, you see the sedan transform into the wagon with all the fury of its 201hp I-4 engine and you see for a good 4-5 seconds how lame the front wheels are spinning ten times faster than the rear wheels. It just looks laughable.

They had the gall to say "born from a sports car". Instead of "born from an Accord rebadge".

Then I see the IS or C class ad and it makes the TSX ad look ridiculously childish.

When Acura makes a vehicle more powerful than a Ford Taurus, or 300C, or Dodge, or Chevy, or Kia or Hyundai, or a RWD one, or one with a hybrid engine or V-8, V-10, let me know.

Old 01-30-11, 11:16 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The more I hear about Honda and Acura, the more it seems they are losing it.

Born from a sports car? Are they kidding?
Old 01-31-11, 02:20 AM
ninous26
Driver

I have always hated this. Altima commercials always show them drifting too. I have seen and noticed everything everyone said in this thread about the Acura commercial. False false advertising, but people are dumb.

Kind of like the guy at applebees who was sitting behind me looking out the window comparing my G35 coupe to his altima coupe and how his car was better in every category. Especially how his altima was a baby 350z and my G was fancy maxima. It's idiots like that which those ads capture. RWD *****! Lexus and Infiniti have always known that's what's up in the higher class market. Acura is like the hippy out of the group
Old 01-31-11, 03:45 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

see Nissan had this figured out way back in the day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a8rg...layer_embedded
Old 01-31-11, 07:43 AM
ChickenIS
Pole Position

^ Oh yeah I remember this one. The affordable sports car.
Old 01-31-11, 09:12 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda has taken useless car commercials to a new level.

Quick Reply: Latest Honda & Acura commercials cars shown "drifting" WTH