Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Announces FT-86 II Concept For Geneva (Teaser Image)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 11:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by situman
I see a hint of the LFA samaurai headlight design. Looks angry, I hope it drives angrily too.
Agree. The more I look at the shape of the front end and the details, the more I see LFA Jr.

Originally Posted by knihc2008
How did it get so weird looking up front? Hopefully non-teaser official pictures make this car look better. Regardless, an exciting sporty Toyota = bring it on. Hopefully this is a near-production concept ala Honda concepts, and not the second of four different concepts, ala LFA.
Originally Posted by GS3Tek
it looks a little chunkier up front

Lesson learned with ANY teaser: don't get your hopes up until the real thing is revealed
There were rumors about Toyota having to bring the hood up something like 50mm to meet pedestrian crash standards, so I am not surprised here.
Old 01-26-11, 12:17 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i need to see more pics
Old 01-26-11, 12:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm relieved the front end isn't messed up.
The lights bulge out more, but at least it doesn't have a flat and high front end due to stupid pedestrian laws.

still looks evil.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota Announces FT-86 II Concept For Geneva (Teaser Image)-untitled-1.jpg  

Last edited by dunnojack; 01-26-11 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-26-11, 12:48 PM
LexFather

Found this DJ. The boxer engine will allow for the hood to stay low, even with the new laws.

Old 01-26-11, 01:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that Toyota needs to do it right or don't do it at all. People won't care? Of course they will. If Toyota does this product right, it is going to be something special.

If they rush it just to be trendy and just for the sake of rushing it to please a few impatient people, it will just be another disposable or forgettable car like the Genesis coupe.

Originally Posted by knihc2008
You know how when Honda comes out with concepts, they're usually basically exactly what the concept car is going to look like with bigger wheels? And you know how the LFA had like four concepts over the span of a bunch of years and even the last LFA concept looked very different from the eventual production version?
The production LFA in profile looks a lot like the LFA I concept, and shares several details from the LFA II concept.

I expect the FT-86 production car to look very close to either the FT-86 I or II concept.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Found this DJ. The boxer engine will allow for the hood to stay low, even with the new laws.

Thank you!

All of those complaining, the hood is STILL very low and it STILL looks very sleek.

How exactly can you call this chunky is beyond me .
Old 01-26-11, 01:49 PM
bagyo
Driver

To Toyota,
STOP TALKING ABOUT IT; MAKE IT AND SELL IT ALREADY! But it better have the same soul and passion emitting presence as in the timeless AE86! I hope they price it up a bit too, so a bunch of kids won't ask their parents to buy it for them and ruin the classiness of the ride adding nasty low grade body kits and ebay exhaust systems like scions, honda's, etc. CAN I GET AN AMEN???!!!! HAHAHA
Old 01-26-11, 01:53 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anything it looks like they made the hood LOWER than before

I still have high hopes for this car. Come on, Toyota.
Old 01-26-11, 02:12 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

please, for the love of God, let it have a turbo and an LSD
Old 01-26-11, 10:37 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard there will be different versions. A basic model, around 200hp, really lightweight, around 2600lbs. (hopefully) a more powerful version between 250-300hp, sorta like the Genesis coupe. Who knows, but its looking good, and Subaru will have their version at Geneva as well.
Old 01-27-11, 07:31 AM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Agree. The more I look at the shape of the front end and the details, the more I see LFA Jr.
Ditto! And I love it!

Old 01-27-11, 07:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bagyo
To Toyota,
STOP TALKING ABOUT IT; MAKE IT AND SELL IT ALREADY
Actually Toyota hasn't said much. they showed it, they showed it some more and most of the info is from outside news sources and FT-86 forums.....Toyota hasn't actually said much of anything.

Time is flying by, car will be here before we know it. The 350Z concept took time to come to market for example as did the S2000.

This was shown 5 years before the S2000 showed up

Z concept

Old 01-29-11, 10:39 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I agree that Toyota needs to do it right or don't do it at all. People won't care? Of course they will. If Toyota does this product right, it is going to be something special.

All of those complaining, the hood is STILL very low and it STILL looks very sleek.

How exactly can you call this chunky is beyond me .
much better looking-it's looking very hopeful