Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the gasoline thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-17, 11:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Because pumps are supposed to be independently tested, certified and licensed to be dispensing that octane and calculating cost and usage right. The government does that. Those inspection stickers are displayed on each pump.
Thanks for bringing that up... I knew they were at least trying to regulate this stuff.

TBH I can't really tell a difference between fuels I use. I pretty much rotate between QuikTrip, Valero, and Phillips 66, depending on whether my loyalty points for QT are valid for a discount as well as what's convenient for me on my drive. The only time I have noticed anything different was when I used some ethanol-free gas from QT. It's kinda weird - it feels more responsive around town to me, maybe... could be placebo effect, but I know pure gasoline has a higher level of energy concentration than E10.
Old 10-13-17, 12:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Try different brand and compare them on dyno. Not even dyno test. Can't tell the difference when you fill up with Shell premium vs. Costco premium? My car just likes
Shell premium. Another example, I use Stihl premixed gas for my chainsaws(Stihl, Makita, an old Poulan) All starts with 3, 4 pulls regarless weather condition, no trouble with carbs or engine performance. Stihl says it contains alkaline additives.. Point is different.additives makes difference. Noticeable difference, IMO. Not a placebo effect.
I have been driving for over 60 years.
You got me, I've been driving only 57 years.
Old 10-13-17, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

Even worse, how do you know that 1.0 gal you're being charged for, is 1.0 gal?
First, Steve was correct about the pumps being State-certified. Second, if you don't trust Government inspections or the compliance-certificates on the pump, you can always test the pump yourself by filling up a 1-gallon or 5-gallon gas container and seeing if it agrees with what is displayed on the pump....or if the displayed price on the sale is correct for the amount of gallons shown. Many people do this, of course, when they buy gas in portable containers for their lawn mowers, leaf-blowers, snow-blowers, chain-saws, etc...... Doing so is perfectly legal as long as the container is an officially-approved one for carrying gasoline, and not some flimsy device that will leak or spill out fuel.

Now, there IS one thing, though, unfortunately not easy to check out, where you CAN be screwed at the pumps....and it is getting to be a increasingly widespread problem here in the D.C. area. It's not the stations' fault...although they periodically inspect the pumps for this themselves. Hackers like to insert small credit-card scanners/readers inside the pumps where, unknown to either customers or station-owners, and deeply hidden down inside the pumps, these readers transmit sensitive credit-card data to the hackers. So, in some cases, your card-number could get into the hands of these hackers........with obvious consequences. I regularly use my credit card for gas, and have been lucky so far, and not hacked myself....but, to be totally safe, the best way to do it is to simply pay cash. And, with most credit cards these days, depending on the contract, you are usually only responsible only for the first $50-60 if your card does get hacked. Some card-issuers, for customer-good-will, even waive that charge.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-13-17 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-13-17, 12:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Try different brand and compare them on dyno. Not even dyno test. Can't tell the difference when you fill up with Shell premium vs. Costco premium? My car just likes
Shell premium. Another example, I use Stihl premixed gas for my chainsaws(Stihl, Makita, an old Poulan) All starts with 3, 4 pulls regarless weather condition, no trouble with carbs or engine performance. Stihl says it contains alkaline additives.. Point is different.additives makes difference. Noticeable difference, IMO. Not a placebo effect.
I have been driving for over 60 years.
I've never felt any difference in any car I've ever owned because of brand of gas.
Old 10-13-17, 01:02 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

this is a cool report. has a pic showing how no fuel contacts the intake valve (it shows one) on a DI head...also reiterates how consumers may associate grade with quality, a mistaken assumption. I can't tell you how many people do the same with an allergy to milk, and concluding lactose intolerance.

Net net is one would think that Top Tier is something, and the conventional wisdom says to use it. Again, since Costco is actually cheaper than most, seems like it's wise to fill up there. I'm willing to admit that 10 years ago, I could care less, despite the nice Top Tier brochure that came with my new 2007 car. Live and learn (but also more conventional stations are now included)...

http://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/u...rt-FINAL-1.pdf
Old 10-13-17, 01:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good article. Does a excellent job of explaining many of the issues we've discussed on this thread.
Old 10-13-17, 09:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

can someone name a brand of gas they regularly use that ISN'T on the top tier list and why they use it?

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/
Old 10-13-17, 10:11 PM
Taz68
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can someone name a brand of gas they regularly use that ISN'T on the top tier list and why they use it?

I've mostly used Sam's Club gas over the last 15 years. Not for any particular reason other than that this club is very convenient to where I do a lot of errands and shopping. Also, the price is right!

Never had a problem with Sam's Club gasoline and really don't notice a difference when using other brands. Granted, I live in a warm climate and don't keep vehicles long enough to manifest the theoretical effects of non top-tier gasoline.
Old 10-13-17, 10:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't use it myself, but some of my neighbors use Safeway's own brand of gas, which is sold at some of the local Safeway grocery stores (the newer, bigger ones).....like Giant Food's Shell-discount, Safeway bonus cards earn discounts on Safeway gas. The source for the Safeway gas is unclear, but it appears to be a company called Tenneco, which is not Top-Tier. As to why they use it, it's probably just simple convenience while shopping. Same with B.J.'s Club....a local membership discount-store chain which sells their own fuel.

Old 10-14-17, 06:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

We use Fred Meyer gas fairly often. It’s convenient (our preferred grocery store), they have a good rewards program, and it’s priced well.
Old 10-14-17, 06:42 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Use these occasionally, not regularly: Don't see Love's, Sheetz, Kroger, Liberty. Sometimes stop at these due to convenience of location during a trip. Local 'regular' fillup is usually Costco, QT or Shell.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-14-17 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-14-17, 06:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Around me there are Speedway stations all over. Probably more of them than any other brand. I use them occasionally but not too often. Their parent company is Marathon.

Last edited by LexBob2; 10-14-17 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-14-17, 07:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Around me there are Speedway stations all over. Probably more of them than any other brand. I use them occasionally but not too often. Their parent company is Marathon.

Marathon, though, is on the Top-Tier list, so it's possible (?) that that's the gas that Speedway stations are actually getting.
Old 10-16-17, 01:30 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I buy Thortons or Mapco premium for the Lexus(says its required, I run the car hard, so no 87) The Shell, which is right next door to those stations, wants $0.80 cents more a gallon for premium. The off brand gas stations are like $0.40 to $0.50 cents more a gallon, still a big markup IMO. Calculated it out, with the miles I drive, Shell would be about $200 more a year. Car runs great on the off brand stuff.
Old 10-16-17, 03:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Marathon, though, is on the Top-Tier list, so it's possible (?) that that's the gas that Speedway stations are actually getting.
I don't think so, because in our area, Speedway used to be Hess, and Hess is/was more local to this area. So my guess, and that's all it is, is that the distribution did not change, only the sign.

Anyway, my opinion of Top Tier has changed. That AAA report was pretty comprehensive in saying use it. However, with Costco 93 premium, it's a double whammy. Much cheaper for premium, AND top tier....so that's it for me....

(then again running my Nissan Maxima for 19 years on regular 87 whatever brand didn't seem to have harmed it, the fuel door says premium recommended)

Quick Reply: the gasoline thread