Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the gasoline thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-17, 06:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
true about gas but all we have to go on with additives is marketing claims and hearsay from a delivery guy?
Read this on another thread this morning which seems to be contrary to your marketing-only theory

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...y-of-gasoline/
Old 10-13-17, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This has nothing to do with the content of the post that you quoted and responded to.

OK, if that is the case, then correct if or where I was wrong. In your last post, it seemed to me that you were refering to the size of the container vs. the gas tank size...usually one can (or bottle) to an average-size load of gas (15-20 gallons). And, of course, it is not meant to be used very often...once maybe every 10,000 miles or so. I myself just use Shell gas almost every tankful, and don't have carbon-problems to start with, though I didn't put a huge number of miles on the last DI engine I owned, so it wasn't a real long-term test.
Old 10-13-17, 06:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Again, remember the additives are a can the size of a grills propane tank in an entire tanker of fuel. In other words, very little concentration in a tank of gasoline.
My buddy said his grandfather used to steal gasoline in the old days, as he drove a tanker and he would swing by his house. I don't even remember, what do those things carry, 8k gallons? So 50 are missing and they never had to buy gasoline. His mom worked for the Postal Service so they always had free magazines. What a family! Guess they didn't have Veeder Root back then...
Old 10-13-17, 07:15 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, if that is the case, then correct if or where I was wrong. In your last post, it seemed to me that you were refering to the size of the container vs. the gas tank size...usually one can (or bottle) to an average-size load of gas (15-20 gallons). And, of course, it is not meant to be used very often...once maybe every 10,000 miles or so. I myself just use Shell gas almost every tankful, and don't have carbon-problems to start with, though I didn't put a huge number of miles on the last DI engine I owned, so it wasn't a real long-term test.
MM,

Tanker.

Tank

Let's keep the thread on topic please, no need to keep responding on the mis-read.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-13-17 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-13-17, 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Dave's got it

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Read this on another thread this morning which seems to be contrary to your marketing-only theory

I read that study by AAA that carried on Consumer Reports, I would have posted it here but it was only accessible to CR subscribers.

My question is just, given the reality of how gas is distributed, how do you know you're getting TopTier gas even at a TopTier branded station?

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-13-17 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-13-17, 08:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Dave's got it

I read that study by AAA that carried on Consumer Reports, I would have posted it here but it was only accessible to CR subscribers.

My question is just, given the reality of how gas is distributed, how do you know you're getting TopTier gas even at a TopTier branded station?
I'm not sure that you do know since most stations are franchised and operated by individual operators. I guess the Top Tier designation improves the odds that the gas is actually TT and gives the purchaser a higher level of confidence in the product.
Old 10-13-17, 08:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

thanks. i now see from the 'license' list that marathon (where i usually get my gas) is top tier anyway.
http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/
Old 10-13-17, 09:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

http://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa-...created-equal/

good question.
Old 10-13-17, 10:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Dave's got it

When I read what's on the Top Tier website, based on the website, Costco and Wawa "CANNOT" be the same gasoline. If it is, then the entire Top Tier program is invalidated. The station owner stated they are the same unbranded gasoline, no different. I don't know more than he does in his industry, but it would seem to me that it cannot be. Again, Costco could answer I am sure.

Even worse, how do you know that 1.0 gal you're being charged for, is 1.0 gal? And even more unlikely to be proven or disproven, how do you know the 93 or 92 or 91 octane on the pump, is really that? Not that long ago the local news sampled gasoline in Bucks Co. PA, and some pumps were not accurate. The funniest one was where they saw the bureau of weights and measure roll in, and the entire gas plaza coincidentally lost all power at the same time, so they could not test anything. There were also stations that they busted, and so were ordered by the county to cease, who did not cease. Maybe we have to have faith in the Exxon, BP, Shells of the world to do the right thing? haha that's rather a naive statement...
Old 10-13-17, 10:44 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
When I read what's on the Top Tier website, based on the website, Costco and Wawa "CANNOT" be the same gasoline. If it is, then the entire Top Tier program is invalidated. The station owner stated they are the same unbranded gasoline, no different. I don't know more than he does in his industry, but it would seem to me that it cannot be. Again, Costco could answer I am sure.

Even worse, how do you know that 1.0 gal you're being charged for, is 1.0 gal? And even more unlikely to be proven or disproven, how do you know the 93 or 92 or 91 octane on the pump, is really that? Not that long ago the local news sampled gasoline in Bucks Co. PA, and some pumps were not accurate. The funniest one was where they saw the bureau of weights and measure roll in, and the entire gas plaza coincidentally lost all power at the same time, so they could not test anything. There were also stations that they busted, and so were ordered by the county to cease, who did not cease. Maybe we have to have faith in the Exxon, BP, Shells of the world to do the right thing? haha that's rather a naive statement...
That's troubling... especially for drivers who tend to use the full range of the tachometer. It'd be hard to measure the effects of falsely advertised octane ratings, however, without observing engine wear and performance - which are expensive to do. At least, there have been studies to suggest Top Tier is beneficial: http://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa-...created-equal/

As for Wawa and Costco, I would say based on what I've read so far that Wawa could very well be using the same gas as Costco, but they aren't required to advertise it. Even then, the wording of "the same unbranded gasoline" is ambiguous - is he trying to say that Costco itself isn't using Top Tier fuel?
Old 10-13-17, 10:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
That's troubling... especially for drivers who tend to use the full range of the tachometer. It'd be hard to measure the effects of falsely advertised octane ratings, however, without observing engine wear and performance - which are expensive to do. At least, there have been studies to suggest Top Tier is beneficial: http://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa-...created-equal/

As for Wawa and Costco, I would say based on what I've read so far that Wawa could very well be using the same gas as Costco, but they aren't required to advertise it. Even then, the wording of "the same unbranded gasoline" is ambiguous - is he trying to say that Costco itself isn't using Top Tier fuel?
That's a thought....so you're saying maybe Wawa just so happens to be the same gas as Costco dispensed at the terminal, but maybe they are not licensed to say Top Tier, and so in the background, at the terminal, it's the same....Costco acts like they're Exxon, with their secret Kirkland formula, who the heck knows! lol but I just filled 19 gal of super at $2.589 and even went inside and bought some toddler gloves for $9.99, and a gallon of milk (cheaper by $1 in NJ over PA) where else can you do that?!
Old 10-13-17, 10:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Even worse, how do you know that 1.0 gal you're being charged for, is 1.0 gal? And even more unlikely to be proven or disproven, how do you know the 93 or 92 or 91 octane on the pump, is really that?
Because pumps are supposed to be independently tested, certified and licensed to be dispensing that octane and calculating cost and usage right. The government does that. Those inspection stickers are displayed on each pump.
Old 10-13-17, 11:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Just a few months ago I was pumping gas at a BP station near my house. A white pickup pulled into the pump in front of me and a guy with a yellow safety vest got out and went into the station. He came back out and took a sample from the pump. I assumed that it was from the state weights and measures or a private contractor. I'm not sure how often pumps are checked but as mentioned they always have the inspection stickers on the pumps.
Old 10-13-17, 11:27 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
My point was that the different stations receive the same gas from the same distributor(s). The additives/detergents are different and I'm not really conviced there's too much difference between them other than how they are marketed.
Try different brand and compare them on dyno. Not even dyno test. Can't tell the difference when you fill up with Shell premium vs. Costco premium? My car just likes
Shell premium. Another example, I use Stihl premixed gas for my chainsaws(Stihl, Makita, an old Poulan) All starts with 3, 4 pulls regarless weather condition, no trouble with carbs or engine performance. Stihl says it contains alkaline additives.. Point is different.additives makes difference. Noticeable difference, IMO. Not a placebo effect.
I have been driving for over 60 years.
Old 10-13-17, 11:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Here it is, I have never heard this term, "pump jump." Kind of like "gaper delay," never ever heard that term until I moved to PA. And there was a Gene Hackman film where they said there was a gaper delay on the LIE. Bad writing, nobody in NYC would say gaper delay, they don't even know what that means....

http://6abc.com/automotive/troublesh...tions/1747303/

Quick Reply: the gasoline thread