Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you guys think about this for a city beater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 03:32 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default What do you guys think about this for a city beater?

SO I will have about 5k to play with when I get to WA, and we will need a second car, a beater to drive around base with, so its likely to see all city miles.

WHat do you guys think about picking up a fairly low mileage, 1st gen Prius?

Like this one:http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

What do you guys think the longevity of one of these cars is before serious money starts being needed for repairs/battery replacements, etc?
Old 01-12-11, 11:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

nothing beats a small 5 speed or 6 speed hatch for city living....

the prius needs to die and burn.
Old 01-13-11, 12:01 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

for just a beater, i'd say it's a great choice. even in the city, it'll save a lot of gas with high mpg. i'm not too sure about the batteries on the prius, so that might be something to ask about. the car in the link has 90k on the odometer, so about 10k miles/yr. that's pretty good. if everything checks out electronically and engine-wise, it'd be a nice choice.
Old 01-13-11, 05:35 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Prius would be better if you had a longer commute but for just around base I think you'd be happier with something like....
Attached Thumbnails What do you guys think about this for a city beater?-civic.jpg  
Old 01-13-11, 06:18 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
The Prius would be better if you had a longer commute but for just around base I think you'd be happier with something like....
For the comparison, I'm gonna go +1 on the Civic too
Old 01-13-11, 07:22 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Why would the hybrid not be a wise choice? It is literally ALL stop and go, stop signs every 50 yards.

As far as the civic goes, I wouldnt mind one, but im still hung up on the hybrid thing, why would all gas be a better choice?
Old 01-13-11, 07:23 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

probably needs a new battery soon..
Old 01-13-11, 08:51 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
probably needs a new battery soon..
Yeah, I keep hearing that hybrids are really only good if you lease or buy new every few years. My wife and I do that but we dont want to have a payment, so under 5k it is. I think we are going to go with all gas though, mostly because of the stigma that follows the prius...unless I can get my hands on a 04-05 civic hybrid. Then I can debadge, do a weel swap and noone will ever know .

My wife brought up an interesting point though. She said:

"Hon,we have the truck, it has 4 doors and all the cargo space we will ever need. Why dont you go ahead and get whatever you want, just keep the price down."

You done screwed up now woman. I know with no limitations on cargo space/door configuration/age, I can get one HELL of a car for 5k. HAHAHAHA.

Seriously though, it does need to be practical (gas mileage wise). I dont need 2 big rumbling V8's in the household, so no mustangs. Basically, my only requirement is I dont want to be ashamed to be driving it. So that lets they hybrid idea out the window, unless I can disguise it. You cant disguise a prius. It still looks like a prius, no matter what you do to it.

I was thinking maybe a Gen II/III ES, or even a low mileage 95-98 LS I know they arent too bad on gas, even with the V8, and they are NICE cars. Whatever I do, I want back in a Lexus SO bad. And there is a TON of stuff to choose from in the Sea/Tac area. Really I think if I can find an ES with under 100k, I can still use it for a hwy baby, cause lets face it, the truck has its purpose...but even at 23mpg hwy, its still not a car. I figure since I still have to drive back and forth to TX once a year, an ES wouldnt be a bad choice for a hwy car.

Another thing my wife suggested was Salvage cars. She said "I know how bad you want an LS, so look for a salvage LS430!, I know if you get one you wont ever get rid of it". Shes right, If I got an LS, the truck would go first! But, I dont like the idea of salvaged cars. Even I, with all my knowledge an ability to rebuild, create, fix, tear apart and modify a car, dont like the idea of salvages.

My new requirements are:

-Better than 20mpg city, preferable 25+
-Comfortable
-cant be ashamed to be seen in it (NO PRIUS'...Pri-i whatever the plural is)...
-less than 5k
-preferably a Lexus.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 01-13-11 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-13-11, 09:12 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Anyone have any experience with a Jetta or Golf Diesel? How are they longevity wise?
Old 01-13-11, 09:40 AM
WAES300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call on the earlier Prius(es), apparently the 1st gen's battery didn't last much longer than 100K if not earlier. The 04+ improved on that, but...

As for the Jetta/Golf TDI's, I've only heard they are better than their gas counterparts. I've seen a couple at work that seem to run fine. But electronics suck, as is with all VW's imo.

I think an ES or any Lexus would be sweet..my 98 ES hit 207K miles last week. No issues whatsoever.
Old 01-13-11, 09:48 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TDI's are great from what I hear/read. I don't have experience with them though.
Old 01-13-11, 09:48 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
my sister has the same 01, tranny died at 105k or 110k
Old 01-13-11, 10:12 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

hybrids are good in the city, but stop and go driving pretty much ruins gas mileage too. Stop signs are the devil. you wont be able to get up to speed on electricity alone, so the engine will be used basically instantly (and of course, low speed acceleration produces the worst mpg numbers). once you are up to speed, you have to stop again and repeat the process.

when the EPA conducts their "city" tests, they are also taking into account cruising at 35-40mph which is perfect for a hybrid. I can go down a main road catching all the stop lights for more than 15 blocks with no gas
Old 01-13-11, 11:14 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

5k "fun" car?

-miata.
-240sx
-mk3 supra + mods
-modded cressida
-civic...bleh
-older wrx or forester (good base to mod from)
-OG starlet or celica
-zz230 celica
-sw20 mr2?
-FC3S rx7 (with money to spare for engine bits)
etc. and so forth.
Old 01-13-11, 01:00 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
5k "fun" car?

-miata.
-240sx
-mk3 supra + mods
-modded cressida
-civic...bleh
-older wrx or forester (good base to mod from)
-OG starlet or celica
-zz230 celica
-sw20 mr2?
-FC3S rx7 (with money to spare for engine bits)
etc. and so forth.
hmm...If you can find a WRX for 5k that hasnt been wrecked, doesnt have a TON of miles, or hasnt had the **** beaten out of it daily, sign me up! LOL.

Gotta think fuel economy people...a mix of that+fun, or just straight lexus.

One thing I would ABSOULTELY be willing to compromise on, is if I could find an early 90's Nissan 300ZX TT, a Late 90's Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4TT, or a 94+ Supra TT+6spd.

But in all actuality, I would like either a Gen2 GS, Gen1 IS300, ES or LS.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about this for a city beater?