Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some funny things people have said to me about cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 03:31 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
I have a friend thats owns a pre owned 2006 Sonata, and he really wants a BMW (for the badge). His only condition is that it has to be less then $15,000, less then 50,000 miles and newer then 2006 and he must get $15000 for his Sonata. No matter how much I tell him that what he's trying to do is impossible, he wont quit. You just have to let things go sometimes.
I just did a search on autotrader for 06'+ BMW, under 50k and $15k, I got 13 hits!

So some are salvage title, but there was a few clean 325i and 328i. And if he just want the badge, salvage title is ok!

Getting the badge is easy, crap used Euro cars worth very little. Throw some crappy used Chinese chrome dubs on it and he can cruise the ghetto in style!
Old 01-12-11, 03:37 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitlz
A coworker of mine bought an MB C230 because she was completely enamored with it. I overheard her talking to another coworker about her car, saying 'at least it's not a Lexus.' I just smiled, ignorance is bliss.
Is stupid but I don't blame her. At the end is just personal preference. Some people prefer the badge, some people prefer substance and quality.

I know a girl that think a 4 bangers 318i is a nicer car then a V8 GS430
Old 01-12-11, 03:45 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Is stupid but I don't blame her. At the end is just personal preference. Some people prefer the badge, some people prefer substance and quality.

I know a girl that think a 4 bangers 318i is a nicer car then a V8 GS430
I believe the reference was more to price - she got the cheap MB versus the uber expensive Lexus. Another friend liked the same MB too until I brought her to a Lexus event where they had all Lexus models plus 3-4 competitors. She drove the MB and was like what was I thinking. BTW, she drives a Camry
Old 01-12-11, 04:20 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitlz
I believe the reference was more to price - she got the cheap MB versus the uber expensive Lexus. Another friend liked the same MB too until I brought her to a Lexus event where they had all Lexus models plus 3-4 competitors. She drove the MB and was like what was I thinking. BTW, she drives a Camry
Used MB is dirt cheap for a reason

The value of a used car is a true indicator of how good that car actually is. MSRP can be mark up by the manufacturer all they want, but a used car is only worth what it is worth.

Used Lexus worth A LOT more then used MB and BMW.......enough said.

Last edited by BNR34; 01-12-11 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-12-11, 08:18 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG I read the first post about the AMG badge and have to add this:

My buddy gets a new (at the time) 08 E-class and tells me I need to check it out because it is the AMG version and it is so F-ing fast, etc. He doesn't know a lot about cars, so I assume he is describing an E55. When I get there, he had a base E350 with the AMG appearance package but there was an extra AMG badge on the back and the zero had been taken off the car so it said E35 now. I start laughing and tell him that car doesn't exist and he says that he bought it that way and that all the AMG cars have two numbers, blah, blah. He doesn't believe me until he checks online and then goes nuts about how the salesperson lied to him and all this stuff. It was the most hilarious thing I ever heard. I was literally laughing so hard I had to sit down. He was not amused. LOL
Old 01-12-11, 09:36 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

Oh wow. He must have been extremely POed. It's funny, yet I feel sorry at the same time.

Speaking of used Mbs, BMWs and Lexuses...there's this old Italian guy who owns an Italian food store not far from where I live. He buys his cars from the 70s/early 80s for whatever reason. He has a early 80s SEL Mercedes and a lates 70s Lincoln Mark something-or-other. About 7 or 8 years ago I was shopping there, and overheard his conversation. He must have been looking for a pre-owned luxury car for his daughter. He was marveling that the 93 model MB 300Es he ws looking at all had intermittent starting troubles and so he bagan looking at 93 MY BMW 5 series only to find the had similar problems. He then started talking about a 1993 Lexus GS that ran like it was brand new. He seemed genuinely surprised about that. His employee/friend or whatever laughed out loud at this notion and proclaimed loudly that Lexus is a Toyota and no Toyota could ever ever ever compare to a Mercedes. He was even laughing to himself about a solid minute after the fact. I guess ignorance truly IS bliss.

Michael
Old 01-12-11, 09:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ lol, even if it's sad that somebody believed a car salesman.
Old 01-13-11, 08:54 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ty419
OMG I read the first post about the AMG badge and have to add this:

My buddy gets a new (at the time) 08 E-class and tells me I need to check it out because it is the AMG version and it is so F-ing fast, etc. He doesn't know a lot about cars, so I assume he is describing an E55. When I get there, he had a base E350 with the AMG appearance package but there was an extra AMG badge on the back and the zero had been taken off the car so it said E35 now. I start laughing and tell him that car doesn't exist and he says that he bought it that way and that all the AMG cars have two numbers, blah, blah. He doesn't believe me until he checks online and then goes nuts about how the salesperson lied to him and all this stuff. It was the most hilarious thing I ever heard. I was literally laughing so hard I had to sit down. He was not amused. LOL
I always thought about that, add AMG badge and take a zero off the #, wa la, instant fake AMG material

The E35 is lame, but all the S550, SL550, CLK550, CL550.......instantly becomes a 55 AMG!!

But then an E35 could be a future AMG's fuel efficient model I won't be surprise if they do a Twin Turbo 3.5L V6 as their base engine. So your buddy had one ahead of time!
Old 01-13-11, 03:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"that thing's got ****!"

hah. I love when people garble a saying.
Old 01-13-11, 03:59 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

female friend: I thought that car (porsche boxster) costs $100,000

(///M and AMG posers are pathetic)
Old 01-13-11, 04:38 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My dad was a middle-management GM retiree who viewed cars as appliances. He usually bought one about every 7-10 years. He moved up-market from Chevy to Olds to Buick. When he was in his eighties, my sister and her husband, a Ford retiree, were talking to him about cars. He said he liked most all GM cars, but he hated Corvettes and Cadillacs. My sister and her husband looked at each other and supressed a laugh since I owned both at the time.
Old 01-13-11, 05:26 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the other day i was just cruising in the fast lane, i seen what appeared to be a AMG C63 pulling up behind me so i pulled into the slow lane to let it pass... turned out to be some lady in a new c300...
Old 01-13-11, 10:50 PM
SW2UZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
(///M and AMG posers are pathetic)
haha when my MR2 was running I would have a ton of fakes pull up on the freeway and rev/accelerate, a few sec at full boost with WG dumping to atmosphere would make them cower most just backed off and exited the freeway
Old 01-14-11, 12:10 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aye my GS350 AWD got some perky ****, I would watch it guys.
Old 01-14-11, 10:01 AM
Rolexus600
Driver

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Aye my GS350 AWD got some perky ****, I would watch it guys.
lol

Michael

Quick Reply: Some funny things people have said to me about cars