Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

is the auto transport industry run by amateurs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-10, 08:25 AM
Cal1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted my really bad shipping experiences last year on this forum and definately feel your pain. There are regulations governing US shipping/transportation. They need certain licenses and insurance just to be legal. Are you dealing with the shipping company directly? This would really feel like I'm being taken and possibly scamed. The truck owner (not the broker) is supposed to have insurance for this type of thing. Part of the service the broker is supposed to be doing is making sure his stable of drivers are covered. Has their insurance contacted you? Are they the ones offering the low ball offer?
Old 12-25-10, 09:14 AM
chuckler
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Cal1
I posted my really bad shipping experiences last year on this forum and definately feel your pain. There are regulations governing US shipping/transportation. They need certain licenses and insurance just to be legal. Are you dealing with the shipping company directly? This would really feel like I'm being taken and possibly scamed. The truck owner (not the broker) is supposed to have insurance for this type of thing. Part of the service the broker is supposed to be doing is making sure his stable of drivers are covered. Has their insurance contacted you? Are they the ones offering the low ball offer?
Yes I'm dealing directly with the owner of the shipping company and are the ones making the low ball offer and tried to tell me that with all the damages on my car it may become a salvage title if I fix it.

Immediately, I called lawyers to get advice and they all said to call my insurance company and have them take care of it. They are sending out a claims adjuster to inspect the damages and will go after his insurance.

Thanks everyone for all your support and clarity on this matter

Merry Christmas fellas
Old 12-25-10, 09:57 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Auto transport companies are, unfortunately, a dime a dozen and you def need to do your homework before settling on a company to transport your car. Not all creatures are created the same, and yes there are some VERY SHADY ones in the market. Looks like you got hold of one of them.Remember, that what is the cheapest is not always the best option for you. I would most def get not only your insurance company involved, but also theirs as well. Their insurance company SHOULD be the ones covering the damages. This carries that you used sounds like he actually does not carry enough coverage to offset his liability and most df needs to be penalized. Itdoes kinda suck that the lawyers are not willing to do something for you, but you are NOT looking at a total loss, as the damage is cosmetic. In the worse case scenerio, you MAY have to have your insurance company offer you a solution(possibly repaint/repair) and then you may need to turn around and sue the comapany for the amount of the damages + out of pocket costs, as well as sue the broker for failure to adhere to making sure that his contractors are conforming to the minimum of insurance coverages. Furthermore, you need to file a complain with the BBB against the shipping company for poor busines practices, and the broker for sub standard performance in the employment of independant contractors( be very careful with this one,,,you will have to do alot of investigating beforehand to have you claim truly credible). As far as the accident itself,,not holding water. I drive truck myself(not car carriers tho), and my roommate also hauls cars for a living. All autos on the back of these car carriers are suppose to conform to FEDERAL cargo restraint requirements. This means that the cars are suppose to be secured with a MINIMUM of at least 2 chains of tire straps to keep the car in place. No bump will allow the cars to jump that much in order to hit their roof on an overhead obstruction, barring that that driver was not in a tunnel with obscenely low clearance, in which case he wasn't supose to be there anyway. Not to mention, if I am looking at the pictures correctly, some of the damage is on the driver side rear quarter panel and It looks like they tried to repair it. No bridge/overpass that I am aware of will result in damage in that particular area. Since you mentioned that the truck had to have repairs done to the hydraulic system, it REALLY looks like your car may have actualy been on the botom level of that carier and the rack/decking may have come down on it. As far as the truck failing inspection at a weigh station, particularly in Cali., I could most certainly buy that. Recently, a few months ago, there have been ALOT of new regulations/rules put forth for the industry and they are NOTHING to be played with. I am truly sorry to read that you have had to endure all of this but hold to your guns,,DEF do not acept the car under any circumstances,, and do not accept the low ball offers beign given.

Last edited by trukn1; 12-25-10 at 10:04 AM.