Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus and Toyota’s newest registered trademarks: ES 300h and HSD

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-10, 07:27 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Why buy an HS if the ES H is available?
Exactly. Perhaps if they made the HS a plug in.
Old 12-18-10, 07:32 AM
JessePS

If the ESh sees the light whats the use for the HSh?
Old 12-18-10, 07:49 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Why buy an HS if the ES H is available?
The ES H would have a much smoother and quieter ride,roomier,nicer design,better value etc.

maybe... they're planning the slow death of the HSh by replacing it with the ESh.

it's pretty clear to everyone the HS has failed.
Old 12-18-10, 07:57 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i was a bit surprised when i read that lexus trademarked the ESh. The HS will still be for those looking for a more luxury than a prius, and the ESh would seemingly fall into that form. i have been seeing more HS vehicles on the road, so not sure if it's eventually gonna get get phased out or simply have a sibling in the ESh. i'm looking forward to seeing what lexus has planned for the next gen of their lineup.
Old 12-18-10, 10:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The more I think about an ES hybrid, the more I wonder how well it would sell. The number one thing that brings people into the ES fold is it's price point. It's affordable luxury with the Lexus name. When you start adding expensive hybrid versions, the price jumps considerably. This could alienate that standard grandma and real estate agent buyers- those who make up the bulk of ES sales (here in L.A. at least). The same problem somewhat took place with the GSh. It's too expensive and not that much more efficient.
What needs to happen is develop cheaper hybrid technology and sell the car for the same price as the standard version. The hybrid would be a little slower, but greener. The non-hybrid faster and not as green. Buyers can chose which flavor ES they want and price won't scare anyone away. Win win, with an ES for everyone.
Old 12-18-10, 10:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
where would they put the battery in an IS?
it's already small enough.
Good question. Hopefully they are figuring that out as the redesigned IS is being developed. Or one can say, if they made it fit in the smaller Prius and HS, they can make it fit into the IS.
Old 12-18-10, 10:55 PM
LexFather

Guys remember pretty much every Lexus and Toyota will offer a hybrid varient. So this is simply part of the plan we were told years ago.

The IS, ES and HS are all very different. Sure the HS didn't meet sales goals but it's still adding 700 units or so a month. If gas prices rise it will help HS sales. Only dummies cancel a luxury car. Looking at Lexus track record when they miss the mark the first time they sure as heck get it right the 2nd gen.

I'm sure a hybrid ES at 40-45k getting near 40mpg would get buyers. It also won't attract many HS buyers b/c that car is much smaller and Eco friendly.

It's only a matter of time before a IS, GX, LX, SC etc hybrid comes.

As for battery size remember they continue to get smaller and more efficient. The IS will likely grow slightly in size as well like it did from 1G to 2G.

Old 12-18-10, 10:59 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

When you start adding expensive hybrid versions, the price jumps considerably.
a < $3000 price premium will be fine

many people by the RXh and its 5K more expensive
Old 12-18-10, 11:31 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

IMO I think a ES300h should be the same price or similar to a ES350 (Camry Hybrid and a V6 Camry come to mind). 4 cylinder hybrid vs. A V6 better have a comparable MSRP.
Old 12-19-10, 12:00 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm curious if China will get the ESh as well since China has currently the largest automobile market in the world. The ES line would look like this in China:

ES 250
ES 300h
ES 350

Last edited by Trexus; 02-21-12 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-19-10, 05:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The more I think about an ES hybrid, the more I wonder how well it would sell. The number one thing that brings people into the ES fold is it's price point. It's affordable luxury with the Lexus name. When you start adding expensive hybrid versions, the price jumps considerably. This could alienate that standard grandma and real estate agent buyers- those who make up the bulk of ES sales (here in L.A. at least). The same problem somewhat took place with the GSh. It's too expensive and not that much more efficient.
What needs to happen is develop cheaper hybrid technology and sell the car for the same price as the standard version. The hybrid would be a little slower, but greener. The non-hybrid faster and not as green. Buyers can chose which flavor ES they want and price won't scare anyone away. Win win, with an ES for everyone.
If the cost is $5K more for the hybrid,it won't sell well.Under $3K and I think it will sell.
I like the hybrid technology but wouldn't spend $5K.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-19-10 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-19-10, 08:45 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The GS doesn't sell well to begin with so naturally the GSh didn't sell well either.

Let's look at the RX which sells the most within the entire Lexus line so the RXh does sell well. The ES is the second highest selling vehicle within the Lexus line so it only makes sense that the ESh should sell well.
Old 12-19-10, 10:31 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

HS is completely useless imo, and between an ESh (same purpose) and the CT (lower price and way more green... i.e. more Luxurious Prius) there is no place for it in the Lexus lineup really. I've said that the HS should have been an ESh from the start.
Old 12-19-10, 11:49 AM
LexFather

GSh has always been a limited production model like he LSh. They are not volume cars.

The ESh being a 300 seems like it will be tuned for efficiency and not power which I think is a smart move.

Old 12-19-10, 11:54 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the car needs to put out more than 200hp though. Is there any hope of having a really detuned version of the 2.5 v6 from the IS plus the hybrid powertrain? Im sick of this 4 cyl nonsense

Quick Reply: Lexus and Toyota’s newest registered trademarks: ES 300h and HSD