Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai plans to become "modern premium" brand

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 08:14 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the intention is not to make Hyundai a premium brand like traditional luxury marquees, but perhaps something unique. I think the plan is to simply continue the progression they've achieved in the last five years but improve dealers, service, and continue building their image.

Based on comments so far, it seems people believe Hyundai will ditch the lower end bread and butter cars. This isn't going to happen. I think Hyundai is looking to continue their broad model range (Accent to Equus) but creating a public image that stresses that they are a legitimate maker of very nice cars. As good as Hyundai is today, they still suffer in the minds of many people who have the '80's and '90's Hyundai's in the back of their heads. More cars like Sonata, Genesis, & Equus will make people forget.

It appears Hyundai has no plans to launch a brand in the fashion of Lexus/Acura/Infiniti so Hyundai is attempting a different strategy by having a broad range under one badge as they already do. The difference will be is that they continue to refine this model and therefore demand higher prices.
Old 12-06-10, 08:23 PM
vipism
Driver School Candidate

they shouldn't talk about "raising prices" before they can prove their resale values like lexus and toyota, they can't even think about raising their prices untill 5+ years later. Just like some other poster said, any more expensive and people will buy lexus, toyota, bmw etc.

I cannot believe it takes a car company 15+ years to understand the value of great design, how could this simple idea pass up all the overpaid top level management making 6 and 7 digit saleries for the past 15 years ?

and it's not just hyundai but it also applies to many other companies out there that can't the easiest, simplest part of the business right.
Old 12-06-10, 08:30 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alucard
Random question: how is "Equus" pronounced?
"Ek-wis"

Originally Posted by dunnojack
they can reach buick......
They've already far exceeded any Buick with the Equus. Even the V-8 Genesis beats any Buick in history. Only the top tier Lacrosse comes close but is still out-classed. The Equus far exceeds even what many luxury brands have offered. Acura, Infiniti, Volvo, Lincoln, and even Cadillac has never built a car to the level of the Equus, a Hyundai! Though in fairness, Cadillac is currently offering a couple of specialty models Hyundai can't touch - the CTS-V or a luxury SUV like the Escalade.
Old 12-07-10, 06:06 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interestingly enough, the only thing I got out of that article was, "Since we seem to be competitive, now, our prices will no longer reflect value, as they have in the past"
Old 12-07-10, 02:24 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Interestingly enough, the only thing I got out of that article was, "Since we seem to be competitive, now, our prices will no longer reflect value, as they have in the past"
Pretty much. I think it's a gutsy move on their part, and if they can achieve it, Kudos, as they would be able to sell premium priced cars under a "regular/economy" brand, something that Toyota couldn't manage to do in the USA.

That being said, If Toyota didn't think cars like the Crown, Mark II, Soarer et al couldn't be sold alongside their corollas and camrys, then I get the gut feeling that Hyundai will fail miserably. See VW Phaeton.

All that said and done, I'll not be overcharged for a Hyundai. Fudge that. I'll instill it in my kids that they shouldn't be either. I'll do my part. LMAO.
Old 12-07-10, 05:25 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Pretty much. I think it's a gutsy move on their part, and if they can achieve it, Kudos, as they would be able to sell premium priced cars under a "regular/economy" brand, something that Toyota couldn't manage to do in the USA.
No way it will happen under any brand name that currently exists. Brands get type-cast very quickly, and brand recognition is everything in terms of luxury.
Old 12-08-10, 01:06 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It may be possible for them to build luxury cars. But no one is going to think of them on the same level as other luxury brands because of their past. That's why Toyota, Nissan and Honda all launched separate luxury brands.

At best, I think Hyundai will only be on par with brands like Toyota and Honda psychologically. No one is going to impress their friends at the country club pulling up in a new Hyundai.
Old 12-08-10, 02:30 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
"Ek-wis"

i'd say more like a sneeze.

Eh-coos, with correct accents.
Old 12-12-10, 11:16 AM
vollandt
Driver

As long as they backup wat ever they are doing on the marketing side with better and better products, the brand will continue to elevate. The the release over the past 2 years of Genesis, Sonota, Equus and Elantra are huge steps forward for the company to the point where real comparisions can be made with models from the more established manufactures. If in the next 2-3 years, Hundai makes as big of leaps as they have in the last 2, the brand will inch even further toward "best" from "best value". If the Equus turns out to be as good as it's been hyped, it should go a long way to rewiring our brains on what hyundai is and can do.
Old 12-12-10, 11:36 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whoster
i'd say more like a sneeze.

Eh-coos, with correct accents.
You're joking, right?

Anyway, it is pronounced "Ek-wis". That's the way Hyundai reps and all auto journalists have pronounced it.
Old 12-12-10, 12:52 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
they gotta be kidding
MB send the same for Toyota
Old 12-12-10, 12:58 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
they can reach buick......
Most people might be unaware (or not) but Lexus benchmarked it's Luxury ride not on MB or BMW but Buick. It is later on that they started providing a slightly firmer ride in cars such as IS250 to attract BMW cross-shoppers. The ES350 is still following the Buick benchmark.

Even though the IS250 has a firmer ride, it still follows the damping benchmark of a Buick. You will never find the regular IS250 harsh on any type of road, nor will you see any "jiggling your tummy fat" ride like that of an Infiniti or other harsh sport cars.

My 2 cents...
Old 12-12-10, 01:00 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
No way it will happen under any brand name that currently exists. Brands get type-cast very quickly, and brand recognition is everything in terms of luxury.
Yes Way, it will happen. Just keep watching.

Wanna bet?
Old 12-12-10, 01:03 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
It may be possible for them to build luxury cars. But no one is going to think of them on the same level as other luxury brands because of their past. That's why Toyota, Nissan and Honda all launched separate luxury brands.

At best, I think Hyundai will only be on par with brands like Toyota and Honda psychologically. No one is going to impress their friends at the country club pulling up in a new Hyundai.
How do you know that? Have you ever witnessed a brand name evolution ala rags to riches kind of story?

Hyundai has the markets respect. Now if they were making cheap and unreliable cars, then your viewpoint is right.

But given that nobody has a negative opinion on Hyundai, all Hyundai needs to do is add the positive spin on it and they are on a roll!!!!
Old 12-12-10, 02:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Haiyondie Eeeekcuz

Quick Reply: Hyundai plans to become "modern premium" brand