Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet revealed on Facebook

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-10, 09:46 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bizarre looking and pointless; Nissan should have spent the R&D money somewhere else.
Old 11-19-10, 09:09 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just came back from the L.A. Auto Show.

When looking at its size and proportion, angles and curves, color and shape -- it's a huge ugly mess.

There was no redemption. It couldn't be saved with a "It looks better in person" compliment.

Hideous.

Blind people would shriek in disgust upon touching it.

I wanted to punch random people. I lost hope for humanity tonight.
Old 11-20-10, 09:02 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nissan designers have lost their flippin' minds. I couldn't believe they could build a car uglier than the Juke.
Old 11-20-10, 11:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bruce van
Nissan designers have lost their flippin' minds. I couldn't believe they could build a car uglier than the Juke.
lol, its basically some sort of test to see who there can get the ugliest SUV produced.....I think this person won

Again, do we blame the crackhead designers, the people approving such designs or the people buying them?

I am still not sure.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Just came back from the L.A. Auto Show.

When looking at its size and proportion, angles and curves, color and shape -- it's a huge ugly mess.

There was no redemption. It couldn't be saved with a "It looks better in person" compliment.

Hideous.

Blind people would shriek in disgust upon touching it.

I wanted to punch random people. I lost hope for humanity tonight.

Old 11-20-10, 01:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Cowl shake in convertibles that are derived from other closed-roof vehicles still exists today. It is not a thing of the past. Purpose-built convertibles/roadsters are the more typical exceptions (including Porsche cabs and Vettes 'verts).

I have driven (and owned a few) several convertibles extensively. In fact the following convertibles in the last few years still have cowl shake to varying degrees:

Mustang, Sebring, Solara, Pontiac G-whatevers, Volvo C70.

I agree that a small amount of jiggle/cowl shake remains in some convertibles, especially the cheaper American-designed ones you mention, the Solara, and the Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder, but the general difference between today's convertibles and those of 20-30 years ago (such as the rubber-band Dodge 400 and Chrysler Lebaron) is simply striking. When I mentioned, in my last post, that cowl shake was a "thing of the past", I didn't mean literally all of it.......I meant that the progress in eliminating it has been very great, espceially with expensive upmarket convertibles like the Mercedes SL and Jaguar XK.
Old 11-20-10, 01:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
I'll respect your opinion, but do you honestly think it's uglier than the Juke? I can't agree. The Juke, Pontiac Aztek, Isuzu VehiCross, and the curent Acura TL, are, IMO, all classic eyesores.
Old 11-20-10, 02:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that a small amount of jiggle/cowl shake remains in some convertibles, especially the cheaper American-designed ones you mention, the Solara, and the Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder, but the general difference between today's convertibles and those of 20-30 years ago (such as the rubber-band Dodge 400 and Chrysler Lebaron) is simply striking. When I mentioned, in my last post, that cowl shake was a "thing of the past", I didn't mean literally all of it.......I meant that the progress in eliminating it has been very great, espceially with expensive upmarket convertibles like the Mercedes SL and Jaguar XK.
Agreed progress has been made across the board. And the cowl shake on the cars I mentioned is not small. But only the high end cars have truly mastered this, and they are very expensive and have very high curb weights. So the rigidity comes at a very high price. The redesigned E550 (4 seater) convertible is a perfect example.

The expensive import convertibles have always been very good at this for decades including the SL and 911 cabs.

Back on topic (nice concept), I fully expect plenty of cowl shake in the ugly Murano rag top, maybe a bit better than PT Cruiser rag top.

Last edited by IS-SV; 11-20-10 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-20-10, 04:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed progress has been made across the board. And the cowl shake on the cars I mentioned is not small. But only the high end cars have truly mastered this, and they are very expensive and have very high curb weights. So the rigidity comes at a very high price. The redesigned E550 (4 seater) convertible is a perfect example.

The expensive import convertibles have always been very good at this for decades including the SL and 911 cabs.

Back on topic (nice concept), I fully expect plenty of cowl shake in the ugly Murano rag top, maybe a bit better than PT Cruiser rag top.
Well considering their G37 luxury convertible has obvious cowl shake I assume the Murano will have it as well.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...IEWS/101009994

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...px?mmysid=3900

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr...ss/fi-neil10/2

http://www.examiner.com/auto-review-...g-the-question

Old 11-20-10, 06:36 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the "CrossCabriolet" is the result of the same styling process that gave us the entire current Acura line-up. First, sketch out a very general shape careful not to draw in panel breaks, doors, mirrors, etc. Then add stylish, 90-inch wheels and some motion dashes coming off the back. Finally, top it all off with a 5X production-size brand marque.

Then proceed to design approvals w/ executives who are not visual enough to understand just how bad this will all look once sheet metal, and basic utility are applied.

Fund. Approve production. Wait 16 months.

Presto. I give you the CrossCabriolet / TL / ZDX / Aztek / etc.
Old 11-21-10, 10:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

This Crossturd will have a tough time outselling the original slowselling Honda Crossturd.
Old 11-22-10, 08:49 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even in the clear as day photos I don't think this is as bad as many may think. I imagine that the car will attract enough interest and people will be liking it up to the point that they see the $46,000 base price and then it will be "are they freakin nuts?!" Price will defeat this car more than looks.
Old 11-22-10, 09:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes we can all speculate as to what negative attribute is biggest contributor to failure, lol (ugly vs overpriced vs lacking structural integrity vs useless vs poor handling vs poor NVH........)
Old 07-17-14, 07:17 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nissan to End the Awfulness: Murano CrossCabrio to be Discontinued

If you’ve ever had your retinas scorched and mind baffled by the sight of a Nissan Murano CrossCabrio, then you’ll be happy to learn they’re finally going to cease its production.

It was, back in 2011, a sign on Nissan’s part that it was willing to take a gamble and release something unique, with which to create a niche, the only problem is nobody really liked it and it didn’t start a trend, despite the fact that it wasn’t all that bad as a high-riding drop-top.

Now, we hear from Autonews that it will be gone from Nissan’s 2015 lineup, along with the quirky, asymmetrical Cube. However, it seems that they’re not necessarily doing it because of bad sales and consumer criticism, because they did a fine job ignoring the constant stream of both for the entire lifetime of the model, and it’s more a case of making room for the all-new Murano that’s set to debut this year.

They’re obviously not going to make the same mistake again, and they’ll keep variations of the next Murano much more conventional. Even if they’d have stated they were making a new one, we would not have believed them…
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/nis...ss-murano.html
Old 07-18-14, 12:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Haha who approved this. And honestly how many did they sell? I've never seen one on the road
Old 07-18-14, 01:16 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

I saw one in CA and my eyes started to bleed

Quick Reply: 2011 Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet revealed on Facebook