Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet revealed on Facebook

Old 11-16-10, 06:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

This could be the answer to the question nobody asked.

Worth I try though if Nissan keeps their sales expectations realistic (low).
Old 11-16-10, 06:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
And just who exactly are you to say that this type of vehicle isn't something one might aspire to?

Tell me, how did the CLS do in the market?
Tell me, how did the Prius do in the market?
Tell me, how did the X6 do in the market?

Furthermore, the PT Cruiser is not, was not, never will be as successful as the Murano was and is. Apples to oranges.
Actually the PT Cruiser did very well for Chrysler.

It seems most think women (with no taste) will "aspire" to it reading this thread. Not sure what the CLS, Prius and X6 have to do with this. The PT Cruiser and Chevy SSR seem to match this Murano more being convertible 2 doors vehicles that people laughed at.

Old 11-16-10, 06:10 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And just who exactly are you to say that this type of vehicle isn't something one might aspire to?
So show me some concrete market data that the convertible SUV market is a highly lucrative and aspirational market segment. How many people have you ever seen or heard that were interested in a convertible SUV?

Tell me, how did the CLS do in the market?
Tell me, how did the Prius do in the market?
Tell me, how did the X6 do in the market?
What kind of irrelevant comparison is this? NONE of these products are convertible SUVs.

We're not discussing niche products in general here, we are specifically discussing the Murano convertible.

Furthermore, the PT Cruiser is not, was not, never will be as successful as the Murano was and is. Apples to oranges.
Uh the PT Cruiser convertible and the Murano convertible ARE directly apples to apples. Both are strange-looking convertible SUVs.

Also the PT Cruiser at its peak sold in numbers that Nissan can only dream of with the Murano. PT Cruiser sales at their peak hit roughly 144,000 in 2001. Murano sales have never come close, in any year.
Old 11-16-10, 07:03 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because I'm a fan of the Nissan Murano Z51, I will give my support to this vehicle.

Go Nissan
Old 11-16-10, 07:12 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Lots of the usual knee-jerk reactions in this thread. I'll wait a few days and see more images and hopefully get pricing and specs and who this car is really aimed at from a marketing perspective. I thought it was a dubious idea at first but maybe there's something here.
Old 11-16-10, 07:23 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I really do not mind the side profile. It looks tons better than we all thought. However the front is what I will hate as it will look pretty identical to the standard Murano.

Overall, this will have a completely different look than a PT Cruiser or SSR simply because the Murano rides much higher than those "tall wagons". It has my interest. I want to see what it looks like in person.
Old 11-16-10, 07:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Uh the PT Cruiser convertible and the Murano convertible ARE directly apples to apples. Both are strange-looking convertible SUVs.
No way!

PT Cruiser is about $20k. This Murano will surely hover near $40k.

That's like saying that a Scion xB and a Land Rover LR2 are apples to apples because they're boxy...
Old 11-16-10, 12:25 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

So show me some concrete market data that the convertible SUV market is a highly lucrative and aspirational market segment. How many people have you ever seen or heard that were interested in a convertible SUV?
Now you're combining the word "lucrative" with the word "aspirational" as if they are one in the same. Interesting. You said that this vehicle is not something one would aspire to and I asked who are you to judge such things. Just because you personally "aspire" to own very sedate, safely styled vehicles (or anything with a "T" or "L" logo on it), does not mean that other car buyers do not have more unique/individual tastes.

What kind of irrelevant comparison is this? NONE of these products are convertible SUVs.

We're not discussing niche products in general here, we are specifically discussing the Murano convertible.

Also the PT Cruiser at its peak sold in numbers that Nissan can only dream of with the Murano. PT Cruiser sales at their peak hit roughly 144,000 in 2001. Murano sales have never come close, in any year.
2001 is ancient history. In case you are unaware, the PT Cruiser is now a discontinued vehicle, which means it is/was a failure. The Murano is one of Nissan's hottest products. You say that they are both the same because they are both "strange-looking convertible SUVs". But of course, you often think anything without a "T" or "L" logo on it is strange-looking, so I'll take your opinion on styling with a grain of salt. Regardless of your opinion however, the market has spoken and the Murano is a huge success. It's a smart idea for Nissan to try and broaden the lineup and offer a convertible as an option, instead of just sticking with the same formula over and over and over, as other brands tend to do.
Old 11-16-10, 01:05 PM
LexFather

KNOCK OFF THE PERSONAL JABS. You can't call TRD out for liking Toyota when you login here just to defend any Nissan.

Make the comments on the vehicle or this gets closed.

Old 11-16-10, 11:11 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

1. Some polarizing likes and dislikes here, this thread needs a poll
2. If it's a hard-top, why not.

Last edited by tzu911; 11-16-10 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-16-10, 11:22 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
hate to break it to you but I bet 99% of SUV owners never use the roof rack capability.

Giving my nod to this one.
Old 11-17-10, 07:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This could be the answer to the question nobody asked.

Worth I try though if Nissan keeps their sales expectations realistic (low).
That's probably the reality of the outcome. The head designer on this project will probably have a short career.
Old 11-17-10, 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
not for real men,
So, what's your definition of a real man? As I see it, a real man can drive any car he wants....and can afford.
Old 11-17-10, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Might some new records for cowl shake.
With modern, computer-aided frame/chassis engineering, I doubt it. Convertible-derived cowl shake, as we know it, though not entirely gone, is pretty much a thing of the past. Even conventional full-ragtops today (as opposed to T-tops, cross-bar convertibles, convertible hardtops, etc.... have very little of it remaining.

In fact, to some extent, we're spoiled by the engineering on many of today's convertibles. I remember sampling a then-new Dodge 400 Convertible in 1982 (I was driving an equivalant K-car sedan at the time), and that convertible was just atrocious...its chassis and steering wheel rubber-banded and shook back and forth like a wet dog. (so much for Lee Iacocca and his old Chrysler "quality" rants".
Old 11-17-10, 10:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With modern, computer-aided frame/chassis engineering, I doubt it. Convertible-derived cowl shake, as we know it, though not entirely gone, is pretty much a thing of the past. Even conventional full-ragtops today (as opposed to T-tops, cross-bar convertibles, convertible hardtops, etc.... have very little of it remaining.
Cowl shake in convertibles that are derived from other closed-roof vehicles still exists today. It is not a thing of the past. Purpose-built convertibles/roadsters are the more typical exceptions (including Porsche cabs and Vettes 'verts).

I have driven (and owned a few) several convertibles extensively. In fact the following convertibles in the last few years still have cowl shake to varying degrees:

Mustang, Sebring, Solara, Pontiac G-whatevers, Volvo C70.

In short, I full expect this Murano convert to have some cowl shake.

Last edited by IS-SV; 11-17-10 at 10:47 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet revealed on Facebook