Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Hyundai Elantra peeks out ahead of LA Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 11:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Uh, no. This is where you are wrong. Toyota doesnt wait for anybody, at least not in the last 2 decades. From the very start the LS was far more advanced than MB's S class, and continues to do so. LS600h is still the worlds most advanced car.

Theres a fundamental difference between Toyota and Hundai. Toyota spends tons of money on R&D, whether its developing new tech or improving on existing. Huindai simply copies everything without improving it one bit.
You did read the part where I wrote "Toyota have follow this formula in the pass for years and have been very successful in doing so." I said in the pass. The bih=ggest difference between Toyota and Hyundai right now is that, Toyota takes other people's technology and make it better, while Hyundai just out right copy their technology.
Old 09-10-09, 12:00 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lol, you are just naming toys and eye candy, hardly automotive innovations. The only thing on your list that is worth mentioning is the airbag, BTW, the 1st airbag in production cars was introduced almost 20 years before Lexus even exist.
How about the 1st production car airbag, 1st production active headlights, 1st production variable timing technology, 1st gas direct injection, the 1st turbo charge or super chargers in a production car, the 1st production hybrid, the 1st stability system, the list goes on and on.
Toys and eye candy? Funny I could say the same thing about everything you just named.

I am wondering, do you post here mostly just to start controversy and to stir up flaming with some of your comments?

I listed strictly what Toyota innovated and introduced on the original LS 20 years ago; that was just one car. What has Hyundai done?

I can list many major innovations and new technologies from Toyota since then.

Originally Posted by bruce van
It's pretty interesting that all of this discussion has been sparked by a spy photo of an Elantra. It just shows you how serious Hyundai is and people are finally paying attention to what they are doing.

To hell with innovation. It's really not important to me if they aren't the first to come up with an idea. What is important is the end result. Give me a good looking car that is a good value and performs well. Looks like Hyundai is hitting all of these points in a lot of their cars these days.

A coworker just bought a new Elantra and I was very impressed with the car, for what he paid. If Hyundai builds better Elantras, Toyota and Honda will have to build better Corollas and Civics. WIN WIN!
Most of this discussion has gone off topic from the Elantra.

Without innovation, we would still be driving mostly American cars with 3-speed transmissions, carburetors, with the turning circle of an aircraft carrier, poor handling, the fuel economy of a tank, the weight of a 747, and very little safety.
Old 09-10-09, 12:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Toys and eye candy? Funny I could say the same thing about everything you just named.

I am wondering, do you post here mostly just to start controversy and to stir up flaming with some of your comments?

I listed strictly what Toyota innovated and introduced on the original LS 20 years ago; that was just one car. What has Hyundai done?

Without innovation, we would still be driving mostly American cars with 3-speed transmissions, carburetors, with the turning circle of an aircraft carrier, poor handling, the fuel economy of a tank, the weight of a 747, and very little safety.
exactly
Old 09-10-09, 12:19 PM
LexFather

How about the 1st production car airbag, 1st production active headlights, 1st production variable timing technology, 1st gas direct injection, the 1st turbo charge or super chargers in a production car, the 1st production hybrid, the 1st stability system, the list goes on and on.
1st to break down J/K
Whats funny is I believe BMW had the first 5 speed auto in 1991. Acura will have then nearly two decades later.

Old 09-10-09, 12:29 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

So a stability syestem is toys and eye candy to you

I post here to start debates, not to flame up poeple, just relax and debate like a gentleman and try not to get too work up. We all get too passionate sometimes when it comes to cars.

Electric tilt steering on the 1st LS is not a automovtive major innovation.

If you read my post at all in this thread, you would have notice I said Hyundai have done even less than Toyota as far as major innovations is concerned.

going by your list of innovation "carburetors, poor handling, the fuel economy of a tank, the weight of a 747, and very little safety" The Japanese only claim to fame here is fuel economy. The Europeans always have better handling car and they are pioneers in automotive safety. They also had the 1st production fuel injected car.

Last edited by The G Man; 09-10-09 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 12:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

So a stability syestem is toys and eye candy to you

I post here to start debates, not to flame up poeple, just relax and debate like a gentleman and try not to get too work up. We all get too passionate sometimes when it comes to cars.

Electric tilt steering on the 1st LS is not a automovtive major innovation.

If you read my post at all in this thread, you would have notice I said Hyundai have done even less than Toyota as far as major innovations is concerned.

going by your list of innovation "carburetors, poor handling, the fuel economy of a tank, the weight of a 747, and very little safety" The Japanese only claim to fame here is fuel economy. The Europeans always have better handling car and they are pioneers in automotive safety. They also had the 1st production fuel injected car.
You don't seem to read very well do you. My last paragraph was not a reply to you, but to bruce van. I have no idea why you're bringing up my reply to that user in this discussion.

"Electric tilt steering"? Are you just making up information as you go along? I never said those words. Please read carefully next time.

I specifically said "tilt telescoping steering wheel with built-in SRS airbag", and yes that was a WORLD first. Nobody, not even Mercedes, had at the time made tilt/telescope steering with a built-in airbag. Toyota was the first to do it on the LS 400.
Old 09-10-09, 06:21 PM
ConceptVBS

Well, paying their assembly workers slave labor rate certainly helps Not to mention not having to mean EPA standards on factory pollution and sub standard working conditions government subsided factories and the lack of safety regulations.
What planet are you from?

Does the UAW provide college tuition for children of the factory workers? Provide you a home? Living expenses to use monthly? All on top of the competitive wages that each union workers get? I highly doubt it.

Korea's labor market is one of the most vocal and violent. Hyundai, for instance, has had labor strikes every year since the mid 1980's except for 2 different years. This group is one of the most well paid labor unions in the country.

I have no idea where you are cooking up these misinformation.

Last edited by ConceptVBS; 09-10-09 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 06:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ConceptVBS
What planet are you from?

Does the UAW provide college tuition for children of the factory workers? Provide you a home? Living expenses to use monthly? All on top of the competitive wages that each union workers get? I highly doubt it.

Korea's labor market is one of the most vocal and violent. Hyundai, for instance, has had labor strikes every year since the mid 1980's except for 2 different years. This group is one of the most well paid labor unions in the country.

I have no idea where you are cooking up these misinformation.
No attacks or baiting please.

The rest of your post is spot on and as I've posted, they have the 10th highest labor rate of industrialized nations.

Old 09-10-09, 06:30 PM
ConceptVBS

^ Sorry.

Back on topic

New photos

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-elantra-2011.html
Old 09-11-09, 06:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No attacks or baiting please.

The rest of your post is spot on and as I've posted, they have the 10th highest labor rate of industrialized nations.
Dont worry Mike, I wont take his bait that easily. Personal attacks are common when the debate gets heats and personal.

As far as his post being spot on, not quite. Here is a recent article about a South Korea auto worker making $3 an hour and force to work 60 hours a week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/bu...pagewanted=all
Old 09-11-09, 07:15 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL so much nonsense in some of these posts
Old 09-11-09, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hoovey good eye.

ANYTHING ANYTHING ANYTHING is going to be better than the current Elantra. I was so let down by the redesign 5 years ago.
Why do you say that? What is so bad with the current Elantra? For a low-priced compact, it has a nice, plush, high-quality interior, a smooth ride, good build/assembly quality, a nice low price that often beats the competition, a great warranty, good fit/finish, and a level of refinement that belies more expensive cars. What it does NOT have, of course, is sharp handling or quick steering response........a result of the smooth ride and compliant tires/suspension.

In other words (as we discussed in another recent thread), it's basically a Corolla with a better interior.
Old 09-11-09, 08:23 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moderators please assist in keeping these post on TRACK!!

You go through 3 pages of nonsense to look for a spy pic of the vehicle mentioned in the thread title. Things get sooooo off topic as of late.
This is getting ridiculous
Old 09-11-09, 08:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg

Of course, a lot of it is covered up or not visible, but from what I can tell of this limited view of the dash, it seems to be patterned after that of the Genesis coupe......an interior I was not impressed with, as it was, IMO, a distinct letdown from the Genesis sedan's superb interior.

If that is the case, the new Elantra may (?) have some bean-counting and cost-cutting inside, compared to the old one. The old Elantra, for a low-priced compact car, had what, IMO, was a superb interior, with plush, high-quality materials.

I really hope that Hyundai is not starting to get bitten by the bean-counters like so many other auto firms have. For the money, they have really done some nice products lately, but the cold hard world of economics may be setting in.
Old 11-09-10, 09:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2011 Hyundai Elantra peeks out ahead of LA Auto Show

2011 Hyundai Elantra peeks out ahead of LA Auto Show

Take a look-see at what slipped out of Hyunda HQ via the miracle of Twitter. Despite the best efforts of one very dedicated member of Hyundai's PR team, the 2011 Elantra managed to show the internet some skin ahead of its debut at the LA Auto Show. The new Korean economy fighter is fabled to break the 40 mpg barrier across the board all while wearing the company's snappy new design language. Let the Ford Focus and Chevrolet Cruze take this as fair warning; you may have a fight on your hands once the Elantra hits town.

We'll be getting a closer look at the 2011 Elantra later this week, so stay tuned.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/09/2...-la-auto-show/

____

I actually disagree, I think its the Elantra and Cruze that should be afraid of the Focus

Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Elantra peeks out ahead of LA Auto Show