Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalling 1.53 million cars globally

Old 10-21-10, 03:43 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Toyota recalling 1.53 million cars globally

TOKYO – Toyota is recalling 1.53 million Lexus, Avalon and other models, mostly in the U.S. and Japan, for brake fluid and fuel pump problems, the latest in a string of quality problems for the world's No. 1 automaker.
Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it will call back for repairs about 740,000 cars in the U.S. and 599,000 in Japan. The remainder are in Europe and other markets around the world.
Over the past year, Toyota has recalled more than 10 million cars and trucks worldwide for a variety of problems, from faulty gas pedals and floor mats that can trap accelerators, to braking problems in its Prius hybrid. In August, Toyota called back 1.33 million Corolla sedans and Matrix hatchbacks in the U.S. and Canada because their engines may stall.
The majority of vehicles this time around need to be fixed for a problem with the brake master cylinder, which could lead to weaker braking power, said spokesman Paul Nolasco in Tokyo.
Some models in Japan and elsewhere — but not in North America — have an electrical problem with the fuel pump, which could lead the engine to stall, Nolasco said.
No accidents have been reported from the two defects, he said.
Ryuichi Saito, auto analyst with Mizuho Investors Securities in Tokyo, said Toyota may have learned a lesson from earlier this year when it faced harsh criticism, particularly in the U.S., for dragging its feet on safety problems and recalls. American regulators hit Toyota with a $16.4 million fine for failing to promptly tell the government about its car defects.
"Toyota's image suffered because it was slow and so it is trying to be quick with its response," Saito said.
The automaker has been working to overhaul its quality controls and respond more aggressively to customer complaints in the fallout from its recall crisis.
The models affected by the latest recall in the U.S. include the 2005 and 2006 Avalon, 2004 through 2006 non-hybrid Highlander and Lexus RX330, and 2006 Lexus GS300, IS250, and IS350 vehicles, the company said in a release from its U.S. headquarters in Torrance, California.

The release said a small amount of the brake fluid could slowly leak from the brake master cylinder, resulting in illumination of the brake warning lamp.

Toyota will notify owners around the world by mail to come for repairs at no charge, Nolasco said.

The models affected in Japan include the Crown, Crown Majesta, Harrier, Mark X, Alphard, Kluger, Lexus GS350, Lexus IS250, and Lexus IS350. The production date of the models ranges from May 2002 to November 2005.
Two models in Japan — the Lexus GS350 and the Crown — are affected by both problems.

In Japan, Toyota's image has taken less of a beating. And despite the safety woes, the Prius has been Japan's top-selling model this year.

From January through August, Toyota sold 5.6 million vehicles globally, up 13 percent from a year earlier.
This shouldn't have happened, but kudos to TM for being proactive.
Old 10-21-10, 04:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

i think they should just give us new cars, save themselves and ourselves of further issues...
Old 10-21-10, 04:09 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think they should just give us new cars, save themselves and ourselves of further issues...
Well, they are sort of. A handful of parts at a time.
Old 10-21-10, 05:10 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know I had kind of turned a deaf ear to all of these, Toyota/Lexus was always reliable... until today... too many... I think the "being cautious" arguement is off the table... SERIOUS issues are STILL evident, my faith in Toyota/Lexus has finally been impacted... I don't believe I would now get one of their products

Is there a reliable car maker left out there???? Wow, how the world has changed...
Old 10-21-10, 05:41 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think they're being proactive, which most other car manufacturers are NOT.
Old 10-21-10, 05:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Proactive or not.
Potential car shoppers will just hear the words recall and 1.53M vehicles and be turned off to Toyota.
Old 10-21-10, 06:31 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Proactive or not.
Potential car shoppers will just hear the words recall and 1.53M vehicles and be turned off to Toyota.
Until Toyota offers incentives, which seems to placate the situation.

I think being proactive really is the difference, as at times, its done with other normal services. Most casual buyers that I know, don't stress the details and don't consider it a 'bad experience', unless it really does inconvenience them, somehow (be it in time spent at the side of the road, or a hit to their pocket). They'll forgive and/or forget, so long as the life of the vehicle serves them well.
Old 10-21-10, 06:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Until Toyota offers incentives, which seems to placate the situation.

I think being proactive really is the difference, as at times, its done with other normal services. Most casual buyers that I know, don't stress the details and don't consider it a 'bad experience', unless it really does inconvenience them, somehow (be it in time spent at the side of the road, or a hit to their pocket). They'll forgive and/or forget, so long as the life of the vehicle serves them well.
That's true but still this recall will have some shying away from buying a Toyota at this point.Many hear the word recall and get nervous.Numerous recalls and bad hyped publicity recently doesn't help.
Many auto manufacturers have had recalls recently which helps Toyota a bit.
Old 10-21-10, 07:23 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Default New Recall from Toyota with Lexus Models

I give Toyota credit for being quick on this one:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101021/..._toyota_recall

By MALCOLM FOSTER, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 4 mins ago
TOKYO – Toyota is recalling 1.53 million Lexus, Avalon and other models, mostly in the U.S. and Japan, for brake fluid and fuel pump problems, the latest in a string of quality lapses for the world's No. 1 automaker.
Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it will call back for repairs about 740,000 cars in the U.S. and 599,000 in Japan. The remainder are in Europe and other markets around the world.
Over the past year, Toyota has recalled more than 10 million cars and trucks worldwide for a variety of problems, from faulty gas pedals and floor mats that can trap accelerators, to braking problems in its Prius hybrid. In August, Toyota called back 1.33 million Corolla sedans and Matrix hatchbacks in the U.S. and Canada because their engines may stall.
The majority of vehicles this time around need to be fixed for a problem with the brake master cylinder, which could lead to weaker braking power, said spokesman Paul Nolasco in Tokyo.
Some models in Japan and elsewhere — but not in North America — have an electrical problem with the fuel pump, which could lead the engine to stall, Nolasco said.
No accidents have been reported from the two defects, he said.
Ryuichi Saito, auto analyst with Mizuho Investors Securities in Tokyo, said Toyota may have learned a lesson from earlier this year when it faced harsh criticism, particularly in the U.S., for dragging its feet on safety problems and recalls. American regulators hit Toyota with a $16.4 million fine for failing to promptly tell the government about its car defects.
"Toyota's image suffered because it was slow and so it is trying to be quick with its response," Saito said.
The automaker has been working to overhaul its quality controls and respond more aggressively to customer complaints in the fallout from its recall crisis.
The models affected by the latest recall in the U.S. include the 2005 and 2006 Avalon, 2004 through 2006 non-hybrid Highlander and Lexus RX330, and 2006 Lexus GS300, IS250, and IS350 vehicles, the company said in a release from its U.S. headquarters in Torrance, California.
The release said a small amount of the brake fluid could slowly leak from the brake master cylinder, resulting in illumination of the brake warning lamp.

Ask America: Learn. Listen. Be heard.

Ask America
Election forum
The Fast Fix
Map snapshot
Toyota will notify owners around the world by mail to come for repairs at no charge, Nolasco said.
The models affected in Japan include the Crown, Crown Majesta, Harrier, Mark X, Alphard, Kluger, Lexus GS350, Lexus IS250, and Lexus IS350. The production date of the models ranges from May 2002 to November 2005.
Two models in Japan — the Lexus GS350 and the Crown — are affected by both problems.
In Japan, Toyota's image has taken less of a beating. And despite the safety woes, the Prius has been Japan's top-selling model this year.
From January through August, Toyota sold 5.6 million vehicles globally, up 13 percent from a year earlier.
Old 10-21-10, 08:36 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Originally Posted by Joeb427
Proactive or not.
Just in the last month or so, numerous automakers have issued similar recalls including Chrysler and Mercedes (new C & E class). Why is it that Toyota gets ALL of the attention and negativity but everyone just ignores that this is common and every week, cars get recalled. Of course, part of it is the current media focus on Toyota.

Should it be happening? No. But the complexities of today's new technologies along with greater demand on safety and quality seems to be related to greater amounts of recalls.

Whether people want to believe it or not, Toyota is still the most reliable vehicle you can buy.

Working in the car business and driving every make and model at every level of age and mileage has made this clear to me.

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
You know I had kind of turned a deaf ear to all of these, Toyota/Lexus was always reliable... until today... too many... I think the "being cautious" argument is off the table... SERIOUS issues are STILL evident, my faith in Toyota/Lexus has finally been impacted... I don't believe I would now get one of their products

Is there a reliable car maker left out there???? Wow, how the world has changed...
If not Toyota/Lexus, what would you buy in an effort to get something better built?

The only argument would be Honda/Acura for pure reliability/longevity.
Acura is where I have worked for the past 3 years, and even with their top notch quality, they cannot even compete with my Yaris for trouble free operation (in part due to their added complexity). My Yaris is at 95,000 miles and it hasn't needed one repair yet except that I voluntarily changed the serpentine belt which isn't related to car quality obviously. I see new Acura's come in for repairs and unannounced recalls constantly.

And is there a reliable automaker left? Um, actually, every automaker is 5 times more reliable then they were just 15-20 years ago. Do you not remember owning cars in the '80's and '90's? Yeah, Toyota and Honda were waaay ahead back then in terms of reliability but still not nearly as advanced and well built as today. I don't buy the argument the the mid '90's Camry was better built than today's either, not even close.
Old 10-21-10, 09:45 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Well mid 90s Camry might have been better-built in terms of materials and craftsmanship. In terms of reliability and durability, the current Camry is likely just as good.

As for all the continued recalls and questions about reliability, all people need to do is look at warranty data and long-term reliability surveys. Toyota is one of the best in long-term reliability, if not the best. By long term I mean over 5 years.

Also warranty claims are a fairly accurate indicator of how reliable an automaker is overall. Toyota's warranty claims have continued to go down in recent years. Toyota has one of the lowest, if not the lowest warranty claim percentage in the industry. So low warranty claims means pretty good initial quality and short-term quality. Toyota being solid in long-term quality surveys means Toyotas are still good in terms of long-term reliability and durability.

All these recalls I don't think have affected warranty claims that much.

Plus, now that Toyota has a new focus and is a re-energized company, I am confident they will once again become clear quality and reliability leaders.
Old 10-21-10, 10:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

splitting this thread back out to be on its own. It has nothing to do with the previous recall on gas pedal and brake override, and separate thread makes it easier for members to look for information
Old 10-21-10, 10:19 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Just in the last month or so, numerous automakers have issued similar recalls including Chrysler and Mercedes (new C & E class). Why is it that Toyota gets ALL of the attention and negativity but everyone just ignores that this is common and every week, cars get recalled. Of course, part of it is the current media focus on Toyota.

Should it be happening? No. But the complexities of today's new technologies along with greater demand on safety and quality seems to be related to greater amounts of recalls.

Whether people want to believe it or not, Toyota is still the most reliable vehicle you can buy.

If not Toyota/Lexus, what would you buy in an effort to get something better built?
I agree. With all of these hype that toyota is a death trap, what is still better out there with the reputation of reliability?
honda?????kia????hyundai???nissan??? how about germans????

As a consumer, we're using this to advantage that hopefully toyota can come up with some incentive b/c we need to buy another camry soon
Old 10-21-10, 10:57 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

This will make toyota look bad. It'll make consumers to have a second thought before looking for another toyota because people were told and believed of bulletproof reliability of their products. There's nowhere to go but down once you're up top.
Old 10-21-10, 11:14 AM
LexFather

The difference in news coverage is staggering. Other brands have a recall and there is a one liner on the internet site and hardly any verbal press.

Toyota recall gets verbal coverage including stating individual models. WTF?

Whats funny is Toyota is hell bent on improving quality and sport. The sleeping giant has awoken.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota recalling 1.53 million cars globally