Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar's 3-series (2014): the scoop on Project X760

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 07:57 AM
LexFather

Post Jaguar's 3-series (2014): the scoop on Project X760

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...-Project-X760/

By Tim Pollard (artist's impressions by Motor Forecast/R Varicak)

Spy shots

11 October 2010 11:46

Jaguar is working on a new compact executive of its own to challenge the dominance of the BMW 3-series, Audi A4 and Mercedes C-class. The latest issue of CAR Magazine, the October 2010 issue out now, has a six-page feature with the definitive story on the new small Jag, codenamedand X760, all the other new models due by 2015.

Our artist's impressions of the X760 baby Jag aren't merely pie-in-the-sky; senior sources at Jaguar coughed the details to our well connected European editor, Georg Kacher.
Jaguar's new compact exec: a Jag 3-series?

That's the nub of this story. The Three dominates this sector and Jaguar is currently plotting a four-door coupe, in the mould of the Audi A5 Sportback and upcoming next-gen BMW 3-series Gran Turismo.

It'll be rear- or four-wheel drive and a lightweight aluminium construction is planned. That will add expense (around 1500 euros, according to our experts), but the benefit will be reaped in performance, handling and emissions from the likely 150kg weight saving.
What will underpin the new small Jaguar?

X760 will have a standalone Jaguar platform, and Jaguar will decide by the end of 2010 exactly how to deploy its architecture. One option is to use a matrix of existing XJ and XK modules, but the more favoured route is to create a new bespoke Premium Lightweight Architecture which could be scaled for use on the next-generation XF and sports cars in the pipeline.

Look to the Range Rover Evoque for an idea of likely engines. The Ford 2.0-litre four-cylinder Ecoboost engine is a shoe-in, while the 2.2-litre diesel is likely for the derv options. As the X760 will use ZF's eight-speed auto box, it could in theory be available with the hybrid option too (although JLR is concentrating on its top-end models first for maximum benefit).

The new baby Jaguar is depicted here as a four-door coupe, but a more conventional four-door saloon and five-door estate are being readied by Jaguar design director Ian Callum.

Old 10-13-10, 08:10 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

(artist's impressions by Motor Forecast/R Varicak)
Fortune tellers... The artist could have been more artistic than photoshopping new headlights and taillights of the XF.

Anyways, I would love to see Jag's modern take on the mediocre X-Type. If Jaguar can create something that can compete with the C-Class and 3-Series, it would make them even a greater more influential automaker. They've proven it with the XF and XJ, so an "entry-level" sports sedan would be beneficial.
Old 10-13-10, 08:49 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Fortune tellers... The artist could have been more artistic than photoshopping new headlights and taillights of the XF.

Anyways, I would love to see Jag's modern take on the mediocre X-Type. If Jaguar can create something that can compete with the C-Class and 3-Series, it would make them even a greater more influential automaker. They've proven it with the XF and XJ, so an "entry-level" sports sedan would be beneficial.
My thoughts exactly. I've nothing to add.
Old 10-13-10, 09:39 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Nice... errr.. wait... where have I seen this before??? hmmm...
Jaguar's 3-series (2014): the scoop on Project X760-tl.jpg
Old 10-13-10, 09:59 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhh....definitely don't see the TL resemblance

Anyway, for a rendering it looks pretty good! It would be interesting to see Jag compete in this segment again. I don't know if entry level is necessarily in keeping with Jaguar's image but I know they need volume...badly.
Old 10-13-10, 11:06 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Nice... errr.. wait... where have I seen this before??? hmmm...
Attachment 188791
Not seeing it at all. Anyways, the Jag above is just a speculative rendering.
Old 10-13-10, 05:20 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the Jag is a speculative rendering...

Our artist's impressions of the X760 baby Jag aren't merely pie-in-the-sky; senior sources at Jaguar coughed the details to our well connected European editor, Georg Kacher.
Maybe there's something to it? I hope so. It is GORGEOUS. Frankly I'd love to see this car be a hatchback, allowing it a sexy coupe profile and added practicality. But Jag, can you bring us an XE/Boxster competitor first? Pleease

And lol Acura TL? They have NOTHING in common
Old 10-13-10, 09:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Can't wait for a Jag 3 series competitor!!! Glad to see their considering the lightweight aluminum construction used for there other cars