Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014/15 Lexus LC600h (SC successor)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 04:22 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought CAFE was just a mean average of the cars in your lineup? Like if one car gets 40mph and another 35mpg, you can have a car that gets 22mpg and still be ok because the mean average is still over 30mpg?
Old 10-12-10, 04:56 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

LS600hL in 2007, and a LC600h in 2014? I don't believe they will use the same platform and engine 7 years later. By 2014, Lexus hybrids on average should be getting at least 30mpg.

The GS450h and LS600hL getting 24mpg will not be acceptable anymore.
Old 10-12-10, 06:03 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TF109B
I thought CAFE was just a mean average of the cars in your lineup? Like if one car gets 40mph and another 35mpg, you can have a car that gets 22mpg and still be ok because the mean average is still over 30mpg?
Yes but more importantly it's not as though it's illegal to have a lineup of cars that does not meet CAFE standards overall.

That's perfectly fine - you simply have to pay a small penalty for this. For big large corporations, paying this fee is often worth it to keep high powered (low gas mileage efficiency) cars in their fleet.

BMW is a great example. Does BMW meet CAFE standards? Hell no. I'm not going to say it's "not close" but with vehicles within the BMW fleet like the 10 MPG-receiving M5, it should not be surprising that BMW doesn't meet CAFE standards, and honestly I don't think they care. They are fine paying the penalty because it allows them to keep vehicles like the M5, M6, etc. etc.

Exotic sports car companies like Ferrari definitely don't meet CAFE standards. They are chugging right along just fine.
Old 10-12-10, 06:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Lexus needs an SLK/Z4 class competitor (just priced more attractively)... or hurry up with the IS coupe already.
Funny but some reviews and people say the Z4 is now BMW's version of the SC. Its luxurious, comfy and more tuned to be a GT than for Sport. IT also is a hardtop now.

The SLK has never been received very well and sales are always small.

I am sure they are all cross shopped somewhat.

The Boxster has just ruled the sport convertible class.

Old 10-12-10, 06:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very nice find. The LC will be in ADDITION to the SC. The next SC was shown to dealers last week.
So wait, this has been confirmed? There is going to be an SC and LC? So the LC will basically be an LS coupe then?
Old 10-12-10, 06:23 PM
LexFather

^^^^ Not sure about the LC but to me all signs point that it will be produced.

In regards to the SC there was a lot of debate on what to do with the car in the 3rd gen. Should it be bigger and more of a GT or be sportier. I have no idea what the final result is but I don't expect it to be super sporty since Mr. Toyoda took over well into the end of its life. Not sure he had much if any input with it.

A LC makes sense to extend the Lexus range as a top level coupe and also maybe a way to add another addition to the "F" Lineup ala the CL.

You would then have
LS-Flagship sedan
LX-Flagship SUV
LC-Flagship Coupe
LFA-Halo

This would allow flexibility for the SC to be something sportier in the future (sadly think 4th gen lol).

Old 10-12-10, 06:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Ah, that makes sense then. So LC would be a flagship or 'LS coupe'. SC would be to the LC what the GS is to the LS I guess then. SC would be a prestige/sport coupe, and then IS would be low-end coupe.

Do you think there is anything to those rumors of a "super LS"? Would Lexus consider moving into such a segment, or would they simply further move and expand the LS upmarket?
Old 10-12-10, 07:34 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
You are correct Corporate Average Fuel Economy is exactly as you stated. Toyota has the big V8 in the Tundra and Sequoia and of course the V10 in the LFA but at the same time Toyota has the Prius, Yaris, HS and soon to be the CT. So take the average of all your models MPG and you get the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE)...
Old 10-12-10, 07:38 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trexus
You are correct Corporate Average Fuel Economy is exactly as you stated. Toyota has the big V8 in the Tundra and Sequoia and of course the V10 in the LFA but at the same time Toyota has the Prius, Yaris, HS and soon to be the CT. So take the average of all your models MPG and you get the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE)...
Depends on cars produced as well. The LFA could make like 2mpg and only sell the 500 they plan to produce and it wouldn't budge Toyota's CAFE.
Old 10-12-10, 08:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Ah, that makes sense then. So LC would be a flagship or 'LS coupe'. SC would be to the LC what the GS is to the LS I guess then. SC would be a prestige/sport coupe, and then IS would be low-end coupe.

Do you think there is anything to those rumors of a "super LS"? Would Lexus consider moving into such a segment, or would they simply further move and expand the LS upmarket?
Haven't heard a thing about a super-LS. Could it come? I'm sure Lexus has done the research and they are usually spot on with it. To me, Lexus will to be focusing on expanding the lineup and including more sport in the next decade. If a Super-LS comes it might be aimed not just at the USA but China and its huge growing desire for ultra premium cars.

While BMW/Benz both offer turbo V-12s they only sell maybe a couple dozen or so every month (not sure but it can't be that high volume).

Old 10-12-10, 10:00 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

So I was right about the cafe thing. i figure that was the case, i read it a while ago that those were the 'rules'. I don't get this though. If the new SC isn't the sporty car that the LC is going to be, just what is the new SC going to be? A luxury GT or what? I wonder.
Old 10-12-10, 10:12 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

best looking lexus ever!
Old 10-13-10, 04:03 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
True.

Lexus needs a 2-seater roadster like the Z4 and SLK. It can be based on the new CT platform for the lightweight sporty factor, but use a traditional non-hybrid engine.

But let the IS compete with the 3-Series and C-Class all the way.
I'd rather they take advantage of the FT-86 platform, but that's just me.
Old 10-13-10, 07:01 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus can create this purported 2-seater using the FT-86 platform...
Old 10-13-10, 07:21 AM
LexFather

From my understanding Lexus will not get to use that platform. If it drives as good as it looks, it would be a great platform for a small coupe.

Originally Posted by shyguy16
best looking lexus ever!
It's a drawing by a magazine. Its not even a concept.

Quick Reply: 2014/15 Lexus LC600h (SC successor)