Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wife gets a ticket in a crosswalk trap

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 02:17 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
Ouch, sorry to hear. What about if the street has an island or a concrete area for pedestrians to stay on if they're too slow to make it to the other side? I know in Cali as long as they aren't on your side of the street, you can still go with no problem.

Its good practice to always stop behind the crosswalk at a red light when making a right turn, never know who is going to cross.
This is what i learned too. (for CA drivers)
Old 09-29-10, 02:17 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

A slightly different view of this from the perspective of a frequent walk/jogger, who has had several close calls with vehicles, most often driven by chicks while on their cell phones, I support the police taking a proactive approach to protecting pedestrians. Now I do understand that there can be a debate as to where it is to protect pedestrians or provide revenue. Regardless, I am very cautious when walking/running near vehicles because everyone seems to be in a hurry now days and waiting 10 seconds for someone to cross the street is just too great a burden for many drivers.

Let me ask you, after paying the ticket are the two of you a little more aware of pedestrians, or just irritated with the law and fine associated with it? Because the intent of the citation is behavior modification, and if it resulted you and your wife being a little more cautious and courteous in regards to pedestrians then the citation served its purpose.
Old 09-29-10, 02:23 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hblexus07
A slightly different view of this from the perspective of a frequent walk/jogger, who has had several close calls with vehicles, most often driven by chicks while on their cell phones, I support the police taking a proactive approach to protecting pedestrians. Now I do understand that there can be a debate as to where it is to protect pedestrians or provide revenue. Regardless, I am very cautious when walking/running near vehicles because everyone seems to be in a hurry now days and waiting 10 seconds for someone to cross the street is just too great a burden for many drivers.

Let me ask you, after paying the ticket are the two of you a little more aware of pedestrians, or just irritated with the law and fine associated with it? Because the intent of the citation is behavior modification, and if it resulted you and your wife being a little more cautious and courteous in regards to pedestrians then the citation served its purpose.
Just like when I pass that same area and others that have had radar speed traps set ups,my wife and I will be more cautious at crosswalks when we see people.
However,we're irritated on how the ticket was given.A trap where a plain clothes cops puts one foot in the street on the opposite side of the street.
We could accept the ticket if a average person was crossing and a cop saw the wife not stop.
Still comes down to the revenue more than the protection of pedestrians even though we'll be more cautious.
Old 09-29-10, 02:37 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Just like when I pass that same area and others that have had radar speed traps set ups,my wife and I will be more cautious at crosswalks when we see people.
However,we're irritated on how the ticket was given.A trap where a plain clothes cops puts one foot in the street on the opposite side of the street.
We could accept the ticket if a average person was crossing and a cop saw the wife not stop.
Still comes down to the revenue more than the protection of pedestrians even though we'll be more cautious.
I do not disagree with state and local coffers dwindling as they are, traffic citations can generate quite a bit of revenue.
Old 09-29-10, 03:28 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is simply theft under the guise of "law enforcement". When one side plays dirty, it makes the other side feel justified in doing the same thing.
Old 09-29-10, 03:35 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about in your area, but in certain counties, I've heard that doing what they did is considered entrapment. You might want to check with a traffic lawyer first. I'll check with some of the guys at work to see what's the skinny on that.
Old 09-29-10, 03:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stage3
I'm not sure about in your area, but in certain counties, I've heard that doing what they did is considered entrapment. You might want to check with a traffic lawyer first. I'll check with some of the guys at work to see what's the skinny on that.
It won't hold up much in court. I've been on a hooker sting before where the lady cop dressed up like a hooker and they arrested the tricks trying to pay.

No I was not INVOLVED in the sting nor was I a trick. It was rather interesting and yes being on the outside in my initial thought was "aint this entrapment"

Old 09-29-10, 03:50 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

in some cities, there's an experiment taking place where police officers will dress as pedestrians and walking along the pedestrian street walkway, and motorists will see them as just some ordinary person, so they disregard the law somewhat. one foot even on the other side of the street is still the pedestrian's right of way. these civilian-dressed cops relay the information to cops in their patrol vehicles/motorcycles, and they would give the tickets. ive seen it happen three times, all near a high school, movie theater, and a large main street intersection. we don't get the points here in california, i don't think, but the fine would be relatively severe for a lack of patience.
Old 09-29-10, 04:31 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

flip up my hideaway plates and drive away .
Old 09-30-10, 02:00 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by licelsior
flip up my hideaway plates and drive away .

:d........................
Old 09-30-10, 05:28 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hblexus07

Of course it goes both ways, either the pedestrians don't give a crap and EXPECT cars to stop for them, and the other way around for drivers expecting pedestrians to stop for them.

IMO, pedestrians definitely need to be on the defensive, because driver is behind tons of steel and metal. Whenever I cross the street, I'll either bolt across or speed walk because I don't trust anyone to stop for me. I use to be one of those cocky high school kids that took his dandy time walking across expecting everyone to stop for ME and if I got hit, lawsuit! But if you get a broken spine and are paralyzed for life, is it worth it?

I try to be courteous for them too, but if I'm going 25 already and they start walking, I'm not going to brake hard just for them if I'm already in the middle of the street.
Old 09-30-10, 09:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm sorry to hear your wife (who I'm sure is a good, careful driver), got a ticket, Joeb.....especially under those circumstances. But (and no offense)..........welcome to New Jersey. The state didn't get the questionable reputation it has for nothing.
Old 09-30-10, 09:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It won't hold up much in court. I've been on a hooker sting before where the lady cop dressed up like a hooker and they arrested the tricks trying to pay.
The D.C. police department has been doing that for many years.....using good-looking undercover female officers posing as hookers and streetwalkers. I'm sure many other departments do the same.

And in D.C. of course, you never know who will get caught in one of those stings......even Members of Congress.
Old 10-01-10, 02:31 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They do that too around the BC area as I seen news casts and they play footage of the cop pulling drivers failing to stop. In these cases, the ones shown is where the car's on the same side of the pedestrian (undercover cop) fail to stop - in one case (caught by news crew), almost hit a the plain clothed cop (driver definately got a ticket for that).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
...The law I really wish they would crack down on is cars blocking the intersection. How stupid do you have to be to get caught in the middle of the intersection when the light turns red...
In Honk Kong, the intersections have yellow lines marked on them - indicating, there can be no cars there when the light goes to red. Any cars in those areas during the light change, would be caught and ticketed. It comes in handy because of the many cars and volume in the area. If a vehicle is there during the light change, they are pretty much stuck because, they would not be able to like get out of that yellow zone because of the jam. Cops nearby in the area can easily give them a ticket.
Old 10-01-10, 06:38 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
Of course it goes both ways, either the pedestrians don't give a crap and EXPECT cars to stop for them, and the other way around for drivers expecting pedestrians to stop for them.

IMO, pedestrians definitely need to be on the defensive, because driver is behind tons of steel and metal. Whenever I cross the street, I'll either bolt across or speed walk because I don't trust anyone to stop for me. I use to be one of those cocky high school kids that took his dandy time walking across expecting everyone to stop for ME and if I got hit, lawsuit! But if you get a broken spine and are paralyzed for life, is it worth it?

I try to be courteous for them too, but if I'm going 25 already and they start walking, I'm not going to brake hard just for them if I'm already in the middle of the street.
I'd agree. I'm of the mentality that it's the equal responsibility of both pedestrians and drivers. The driver needs to be aware at all times, especially when driving in residential areas, while pedestrians need to be conscious of the fact that its infinitely more tricky to stop a vehicle in motion (and subsequently those behind it, given reaction times), than it is for them to play things defensive.

In too many cases, I've seen people take 'right-of-way' laws to an extreme, where they consciously place themselves in danger, stepping out in front of moving traffic, many times nowhere near a crosswalk (usually the high school kids, as you mention). This compounds at at night, where many pedestrians wear dark clothing and persist with this behavior. The city has gone so far as to erect barriers/fences to force pedestrians into the crosswalks, instead of various points in the middle of the street.

I'm all for sharing the roads, but I'll yield 100% of the time to that multi-ton vehicle traveling at 25+ mph, before crossing-- I can spare the time.

Quick Reply: Wife gets a ticket in a crosswalk trap