Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti FX models see price drop for 2011

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 09:29 PM
LexFather

Post Infiniti FX models see price drop for 2011

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/23/i...drop-for-2011/

The 2011 Infiniti FX has just received that rare gift of a price cut, with $2,600 coming off the FX50's MSRP and $1,250 in savings for the FX35. Looking at Infiniti's numbers for 2010, the division has been outperforming 2009 by anywhere from 10 to nearly 50 percent since February 2010, but the picture comes into focus when you separate the FX from the herd.

Despite good divisional performance, the swoopy FX is off 12.4 percent calendar year to date, according to the Nissan North America sales report for August 2010. It's not like 2009 was a banner year, of course, so to help spur FX sales, Infiniti has lowered the base MSRPs on its FX models to $41,600 for the rear-wheel-drive FX35, $43,050 for the FX35 with all-wheel drive and $56,400 for the V8-powered FX50. To sweeten the pot, Infiniti is also throwing in a standard power liftgate, too. We'll know soon enough whether the pricing gambit has worked. Official press release posted after the jump.
While different looking (well ugly as sin) its flopped for 2 generations now. I never understood the pricing of the latest model. Also it keeps the 5 speed in the 35, old engine and doesn't use the 5.6 liter engine with the V-8. Too much money, too useless, too ugly.

Old 09-25-10, 12:01 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2nd gen has been using the 7speed since 2009, and the 5.0 was newly updated for the FX, wonder if the 5.6 will eventually find it's way into the FX, only thing I know is the 5.0 is a bored out 4.5, have not looked at the specs of the QX5.6
Old 09-25-10, 12:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it's one car i don't really understand. i think those who get the car have it for the cool factor, coz' the car isn't all that practical
Old 09-25-10, 04:38 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every SUV that fails in the USA, is a bit hit in Dubai.
Old 09-25-10, 05:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it's one car i don't really understand. i think those who get the car have it for the cool factor, coz' the car isn't all that practical
Exactly!
It's small inside and rides rough and noisy.
Yet my wife absolutely loves the look of the FX.
Old 09-25-10, 08:40 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it looks good, would never buy one though.
Old 09-25-10, 09:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Exactly!
It's small inside and rides rough and noisy.
Yet my wife absolutely loves the look of the FX.
yeah the look is "ok", i can see how some will think it looks cool. but it's just weird. getting into the rear seat is a rock climbing experience, completely defeating the purpose imho
Old 09-25-10, 10:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
[IMG]

While different looking (well ugly as sin) its flopped for 2 generations now. I never understood the pricing of the latest model. Also it keeps the 5 speed in the 35, old engine and doesn't use the 5.6 liter engine with the V-8. Too much money, too useless, too ugly.
I sells in this area, Mike (but then, by national figures, EVERYTHING sells here, as in SoCal). I agree....IMO, it is ugly, and, as Joeb427 pointed out, space-inefficient and uncomfortable-riding on rough roads. The price reduction, despite its popularity here in the D.C. area, does not surprise me.
Old 09-25-10, 11:29 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
I got one. The FX actually makes alot of sense, it's for people who want a sporty SUV but doesn't go offroad and don't want to sacrifice sportiness. Think of it as a BMW X6 without BMW reliability. There are only a few SUVs that fit this criteria, and Lexus doesn't have one (or else I probably would've stayed with Lexus).

And the looks are really subjective I guess. I thought it looked mighty weird when it just came out, but it has since grew on me.

The 2011's addition of the power liftgate is a nice addition. The 2009+ FX has the heaviest liftgate in the world, comparable to a U-Haul truck.
Old 09-25-10, 02:25 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Interestingly the FX is Infiniti's top seller in Europe. But I think they could have done better by redesigning the ridiculous grille rather than cutting the price.
Old 09-25-10, 02:35 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

My father has one, my impression, coming from my Charger which feels like a Buick after driving the FX, but you get use to it real fast, it's fast like ridiculously fast, no one can pull on you, on several occasions I let cars pull up to my side, drivers door to drivers door, and then I just put the pedal down and the thing just goes nuts and pulls away like it's not even trying, the V8 engine acoustics are just indescribable, you need to drive it to hear for yourself, it falls into the same category as upper end X5, X6, Cayenne, drives and handles like a sports car.

It's something completely different, and you have to want a change, most people are looking for the same thing in a different package, this vehicles is for those who want a different vehicle.
Old 09-25-10, 02:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
My father has one, my impression, coming from my Charger which feels like a Buick after driving the FX,
That doesn't say much, though. Today, even most BUICKS don't feel like traditonal Buicks any more, much less a Charger.

but you get use to it real fast, it's fast like ridiculously fast, no one can pull on you, on several occasions I let cars pull up to my side, drivers door to drivers door, and then I just put the pedal down and the thing just goes nuts and pulls away like it's not even trying, the V8 engine acoustics are just indescribable, you need to drive it to hear for yourself, it falls into the same category as upper end X5, X6, Cayenne, drives and handles like a sports car.
It's an obvious attempt to combine a sports-car with a luxury-SUV platform. Not the first.....and probably won't be the last.

It's something completely different, and you have to want a change, most people are looking for the same thing in a different package, this vehicles is for those who want a different vehicle.
It is different, indeed. But, even though looks are subjective, many people still find it awkward-looking.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-25-10 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-25-10, 03:16 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

56 thousand is way too much for the v8 version as the starting price. I dont see why anyone would choose this over an RX seeing as how the RX starts around 37K.
Old 09-25-10, 03:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
I got one. The FX actually makes alot of sense, it's for people who want a sporty SUV but doesn't go offroad and don't want to sacrifice sportiness. Think of it as a BMW X6 without BMW reliability. There are only a few SUVs that fit this criteria, and Lexus doesn't have one (or else I probably would've stayed with Lexus).

And the looks are really subjective I guess. I thought it looked mighty weird when it just came out, but it has since grew on me.

The 2011's addition of the power liftgate is a nice addition. The 2009+ FX has the heaviest liftgate in the world, comparable to a U-Haul truck.
i don't doubt the performance, but the utility part is what i question. on sporty suv like cayenne or x5/6, you can still get into back seats pretty easily. i have talked to a lot of people regarding fx, including few who actually wanted one. but once they tried the rear doors and get in, they said it's no go.

again, not saying the car is bad, i think it's a cool factor car. but practicality wise
Old 09-25-10, 03:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RXSF
56 thousand is way too much for the v8 version as the starting price. I dont see why anyone would choose this over an RX seeing as how the RX starts around 37K.
i don't think i will put the fx and rx together, they aren't for the same audience. like global said, the fx is quite biased toward the sportiness side

Quick Reply: Infiniti FX models see price drop for 2011