Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Bangle, what are your thoughts?
I always liked the design, then and now
25.58%
I hated it then, I hate it now
34.88%
I liked them in the past but not anymore
4.65%
I did not like them at first but I like them now
11.63%
Dude invite me for some curry goat for X-mas
13.95%
After ten years I am still on the fence!! Not sure
9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

1SICKBLOG: I was wrong, Chris Bangle is a genius and I invite him for X-mas dinner

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 08:06 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There isn't one Bangle vehicle that I actually like for it's design. The V10 belonged in something much more attractive than the E60 M5 or E63 6 series.

Maybe there will be room to swap the V10 into the much better looking F10 M5.
Old 09-14-10, 10:14 PM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It was very hard to admit to myself that I could be so wrong about this guy. He designed BMWs to look like BMWs but be distinctive to their own class. You could not confuse a 3, 5 or 7 with Bangle. You could before, you can after (today).
Agreed. Regardless of ones regard for his visual language he was brave enough to do something different with a well established brand when the easy option would be to do more of the same. It is hard to imagine automative design without his influence even if only in reaction to it.

A human insight: I spent an afternoon with Chris Bangle before he left BMW and had an opportunity to discuss how he managed to balance design creativity and technology in BMW. He was charismatic, open, and inspiring, and not at all the image some might have. I was able to better appreciate how he was able to drive radical design change in such an engineering driven organization. I found the "person behind the design" a very unique individual. (He was kind enough to give me a copy of the "BMW Art of Car Design" which he then proceeded to sign and illustrate himself driving what looks like a Z4 inside the front cover!)

Chris F
Old 09-14-10, 11:32 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
here's how i see it. years ago when bangle put out his designs and everyone went wtf, he said that's the "future" and that's how things will be in the future. well, i guess time has proven that right for him (sort of).

but in my eyes? sure that might be true, but leave the future where it is -- in the future. we don't need future today yet, and a lot of times we aren't ready for it. what we consider cool now were wtf decades ago. that's how evolution is, and i would rather stick to that

so to me? yeah he's good, he saw (sees?) how the future will be. but as a chief designer, i still can't stand by his original 7 series. it doesn't work for me
If we leave the future for the future and stay happy with what we have today, how are we ever going to progress? How are we ever going to move forward? Say in 2000, if BMW thought like that, we'd be stuck with the albeit classic but frankly boring one-sausage-three-lengths design of the 3er 5er 7er today; straight lines, basic contours, basic shapes. It was only with Bangle's forward-thinking generation of cars that we are now able to have an attractive lineup of flame-surfaced BMW. Frankly I find it preposterous to suggest an automaker should leave the future in the future and be stagnant, ESPECIALLY when we're talking about design. A designer should ALWAYS be pushing the envelope and looking towards the future; or else they'll come out with a dated vehicle.
Old 09-15-10, 01:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
If we leave the future for the future and stay happy with what we have today, how are we ever going to progress? How are we ever going to move forward? Say in 2000, if BMW thought like that, we'd be stuck with the albeit classic but frankly boring one-sausage-three-lengths design of the 3er 5er 7er today; straight lines, basic contours, basic shapes. It was only with Bangle's forward-thinking generation of cars that we are now able to have an attractive lineup of flame-surfaced BMW. Frankly I find it preposterous to suggest an automaker should leave the future in the future and be stagnant, ESPECIALLY when we're talking about design. A designer should ALWAYS be pushing the envelope and looking towards the future; or else they'll come out with a dated vehicle.
no, my point is everything has revolution, but it comes in steps and if people at that time isn't ready for something, then it's not ready for that time period. in no way was i trying to say no evolution. it's needed, always. but it has to go with the trend in order to be successful. of course designers are all ahead of us, they are all working on stuff that we will see years from now. i know that very well coz' i am in design and stuff i am working, people won't see it for another 5-7 years.

but it's just like back in the late 80s and early 90s when most cars were boxy, if they came out with the bulking round looking 2gs, people would say it's super weird and ugly looking. why? coz' the car wasn't for that time. but for sure it's the future, came late 90s and the car got all the attention and most definitely influential on cars to come in the next few years.

or take the lexus l-finesse, i am not saying it's good or bad, but it's the current market on lexus now. if lexus came out with these designs 10 years ago (instead of the gs400, is300, and ls430), i can imagine people calling it pretty controversy as well

at least in my eyes (and i still think so), when it was early 2000, the styling of the 7 series were whack and it wasn't for that time. people weren't ready, they had doubt. 10 years later and now it's the trend. sure, i agree with all that. but when the car came out in early 2000 and so many people having negative feedback? that couldn't have been a success
Old 09-15-10, 05:03 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this guy is TOTALLY relevant to this conversation:
1SICKBLOG: I was wrong, Chris Bangle is a genius and I invite him for X-mas dinner-prince.jpg

And where is he at now? His music??...............
Old 09-15-10, 09:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

bangles designs were awful IMO, but my opinion is irrelevant - the market decided they were great as the sales showed. and as 1sicklex points out, they were at least distinctive, which is important, particularly in the high end.
Old 07-19-12, 08:37 AM
LexFather

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/18/e...ievement-from/

He gets lifetime achievement award!

Old 07-19-12, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

While I respect Mike's (and other) opinions, I still, even after 10 years, strongly prefer the pre-Bangle BMWs in everything except perhaps chassis/steering feel and sophistication. Bangle's designs, IMO, took the company downhill in several areas, especially build-quality.
Old 07-19-12, 10:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While I respect Mike's (and other) opinions, I still, even after 10 years, strongly prefer the pre-Bangle BMWs in everything except perhaps chassis/steering feel and sophistication. Bangle's designs, IMO, took the company downhill in several areas, especially build-quality.
This right here. I recently drove a 2008 E60 and 2006 E90. Cheap plastics, poor fit and finish. And the shifters are some of the cheapest pieces I've ever seen in a car. The 10' Dodge Caliber I had as a loaner for a week had a better one
Old 07-19-12, 11:20 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW knew it, and it's much improved.
Old 07-20-12, 06:46 AM
LexFather

Bangle had nothing to do with build quality. He was in charge of design.

Old 07-20-12, 07:10 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This exactly is my problem with the new GS. Up front it looks so much like the IS that hard to tell them apart. I fear that Lexus is heading in that same direction of having all sedans look the same.
Old 07-20-12, 09:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Agreed....that's right. But sometimes "design" affects build quality, if the solidness of the materials used in that design is compromised. IMO, Bangle-designed BMW products, starting in the early 2000s, even over and above how they physically looked, also showed some compromise in how solidly they were built.
I remember, at the D.C. Auto Show, some years back (but don't actually remember what year) the BMW display had both a pre-Bangle and a Bangle-designed 5-series sedan on the floor, next to each other. The pre-Bangle car, in comparison, felt like a tank, especially in the doors and sheet-metal....even the BMW reps there, when I pointed it out, admitted it.
Old 07-20-12, 11:11 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

But engineering and design go hand-in-hand. They are not separate worlds. If a system has to be designed in a less efficient way to make room for design elements, that can correlate to a loss in quality.
Old 07-20-12, 01:59 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been wanting to write this for sometime even though it is to say I was dead wrong.

Yes, I was wrong about Bangle. I shouted and screamed like many for his head and for his designs, similar to how Honda boys scream for my head. We both enjoy our stoning. Maybe it was too early for me? Maybe I was too spoiled by the near perfection of the 1 design, different sausage lengths of the E36/46 E39 and E38 I wasn't quite trying to hear anything Mr. Bangle was saying.

Let me quickly get out of the way that I am not saying I still like ANY of his designs. None have really grew on me. The last gen 7 series still looks like some giant whale abortion. The 5 series still has Miss Edna's eyes, slab sides and cheap butt. The 6 series is how to design a car drunk. etc etc. I still rather don't like them much with the 5 series getting the pass once its in black with a sport kit and I have sunshades on.

You see the other day I was driving around Buckhead (our version of F U poor people Atlanta) and I saw quite a few new BMWs. And I commented to myself "I much like how the 7 series looks from behind". Until the guy passed and it was a 5 series. I then confused a 7 series and 5 GT from the front as well. Then it all became a blur as I noticed they seemingly were all in silver, beige or black and all looked the same. This doesn't happen often, being a car guy at all. I was quite offended.

Got me to thinking about Bangle, who I wished would have been sacrificed over a live volcano. Well now I want to save him and ask him to come back. Even if I don't like how they looked, damnit Mr. Bangle actually made BMWs look different without resorting to all looking like a version of the 3 series, as they are doing again. Yet they still looked like BMWs.

We all know sales didn't suffer (we can argue how they were sold but that is another story) and we also know a lot of people did like the new designs. If you have not noticed by now, the blind people market is a growing, exploding market, cornered by Honda, Acura,the old BMW and Mitsubishi. BMW took a chance with Bangle and damnit, the man gave us vehicles that were instantly recognizable as BMWs without all looking THE SAME.

Amazingly enough love it or hate it, Bangle's design was emulated by others, hell maybe everyone. From droopy eyes, to the "Bangle Butt" that Sir Mix-A-Lot surely had some say in to his avante garde interiors. BMW went from safe and dull to "damn, look at that" or "damn, look at that" . It caused an opinion, it got us talking, it got people enthused about a cold machine.

I was wrong. Boy was I wrong. Bangle left BMW, surely knowing his designs were being asked to be watered down. To be safe again. He left on his terms with is vision untouched. He rather leave knowing what he did will forever be remembered in automotive history as one of the greatest design risks and executions of all time.

I salute you Mr. Bangle, I apologize for my previous opinion and retract. You were brave, a leader and truly visionary. Would you like some curry goat for X-mas dinner?
Anyone looking back at old threads can see that I liked Bangle's designs from the beginning and still like them today. The 7 series not so much but it was still revolutionary. Both 5 and 6 series were just the bomb in my book.

Prior to Bangle's design I used to be into taking pictures a lot. One day I shot an E46 sitting next to a Porsche 911 and another car I can't remember right now. When I got home and looked at the pics it hit me just how bland BMW had become. Nice but bland. I just didn't think cars at a premium price should look so boring. Bangle came to the rescue.

All of a sudden, BMW's looked right at home next to other higher end cars. What's more they looked different than others. Which is something I really like. I was very disappointed BMW listened to the old school and reassigned Bangle. Don't know why, the cars sold bringing lots of new customers looking for that individualistic styling created by Bangle. Other brands copied the designs including Lexus. Just look at the high rear ends of the 2IS, 3GS and LS models. The high rear is now a staple in auto design.

The current BMW designs are going back toward blandness and cookie cutter. They are also losing their BMWness in drivability.
I do like the current designs mostly but I sometimes wonder how they would look if Bangle were still in charge of design.

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG: I was wrong, Chris Bangle is a genius and I invite him for X-mas dinner