Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How not to spill gas on your fender.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 01:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default How not to spill gas on your fender.

The average American driver, with the average vehicle for personal use, fills up with gasoline or diesel fuel about once a week, so it is something that we do pretty regularly for most of our lives...no matter what kind of vehicle or motorcycle we have. Something I often see while refueling (and, years ago, I sometimes did this myself) is people accidentally letting gas dribble out the nozzle-pipes down their fenders instead of getting it all in the tank. This happens because filler-pipes point down, and the gas-nozzle-pipes also point down in a somewhat-curved-arc.

In the old days before clearcoat paint-jobs, this could (and often did) cause staining and sometimes damage to the paint and trim, unless you quickly washed the gas off with soap and water. Modern clearcoat paint is somewhat more resistant to gas-stains than in the past (and, of course, the SCRATCH-OUT liquid I recommend, in some cases, also helps get them out). But the best answer, of course, is to simply prevent spilling the gas in the first place.

The best way to do that, in my experience, is when you take the nozzle off the pump, twist it in such a way that the nozzle-opening points to the side or slightly up instead of down. If you hold it like most people do, with the curved-arc pointing down, it could allow any liquid gas in the nozzle to drip down on the paint before you actually get it in the filler-hole. But, if you keep the opening pointed up, FIRST touch it to the filler-hole, and THEN twist it down inside the pipe, it won't allow any gas still in the pipe to run out on the paint.....it will go down the filler-hole where it belongs (and what you are paying for). When the tank is full, and the automatic-cutoff kicks in, DON'T add any more fuel to try and top-off......you could just risk another possible spill (or damage to the evaporative-vapor canister, an EPA-emission device).

Taking the nozzle out, of course, do it in reverse...pull it partway out (far enough to have room to twist the opening up again), and hang it back up on the pump. If you do this correctly (and it's very simple after a few tries), I guarantee that you won't ever spin anything again on your nice paint while refueling.

And, while we're on the subject of refueling, here's another tip: If the tanker truck is loading up the underground storage tanks, either find another station of wait at least 5 minutes after the tanker is done. That's because, especially with older underground tanks, the enormous pressure of the fuel being pumped out of the tanker stirs up a lot of dirt, water, and impurities on the bottom of the tanks. Though the gas-pumps themselves are supposed to have built-in filters to keep the solid-particles from actually getting into your car, don't bet on it. If you are refilling when the tanker-truck is pumping, you could easily get some of that (and, of course, water-bubbles) into your gas tank, fuel-lines, and injectors, where it could cause engine-drivability. After the truck is finished, the dirt/water will usually settle back down to the bottom of the tank (they are heavier than gasoline) in a few minutes....than it's OK to gas up.

The subject of what brand of gas to use has been discussed/debated many times here on CL.....I won't re-hash it again here, except to say that, from what I've seen, Chevron and Shell seem to have the highest-quality and the best detergent-additives. I usually use one of those two brands myself....and, in general, it's better to use major-name-brands than cut-rate stations. Unfortunately, in my area, several local Chevron stations seem to have converted to the Liberty brand lately....why, I don't know.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-02-10 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-02-10, 02:00 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I use the 'shake' method to make sure I don't get drips, if it works for me, it usually works for the fueling nozzle
Old 09-02-10, 02:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I use the 'shake' method to make sure I don't get drips, if it works for me, it usually works for the fueling nozzle

Gotta be careful, though, that you don't "shake" gas drops out on either your own car or that nice, brand-new Corvette or LS460 next to you.
Old 09-02-10, 02:30 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually point the nozzle upwards when about to fill and then tap the nozzle against the tank entrance hole to make sure every last drop comes out when I'm done.

I agree that Shell and Chevron are the best to use, but I've also noticed that Shell is better for highway driving and Chevron for city driving.
Old 09-02-10, 02:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm pretty careful about removing the hose from the inlet, not to say I haven't ever spilled some fuel tho. Gotta protect the paint best I can. That's why I always carry microfiber towels in my trunk
Old 09-02-10, 02:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i hardly spill when i take it out. i always turn it sideway (past 90 degrees), and then back to normal position. that will get most of the remaining gas out. and then take it out. always work
Old 09-02-10, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good......sounds like some of you guys are already doing this method.
Old 09-02-10, 03:10 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use some of the paper towels they provide at the gas station and place it under. I found many of the other methods do not suffice always.
Old 09-02-10, 03:15 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I would twist the nozzle side way and raise the hose up high so the last drop would come out, thus getting all that I paid for and prevent a dripping.
Old 09-02-10, 03:19 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shajbot
I would twist the nozzle side way and raise the hose up high so the last drop would come out, thus getting all that I paid for and prevent a dripping.
I do this as well. Since im 6'1 I reach the top of the hose where it hangs from, I shake while lifting the hose and twisting the nozzle to get it allll out. I know..overkill...but screw it.
Old 09-02-10, 03:31 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i do something similar but lift where the hose drapes down. turn the nozzle upside down and shake.
Old 09-02-10, 03:43 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the shake method as well...more like tapping the nozzle on the tank opening than shaking but it gets that last drop in.
Old 09-02-10, 04:16 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I need to fill up tomorrow. I'm gonna give this a try. Usually when I fill up, I give the nozzle a couple of taps to shake out the residual fuel, but I still get drips down the side of the car.
Old 09-02-10, 05:05 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

every guy already knows how to shake their nozzle so it doesnt splash
Old 09-02-10, 05:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, common technique during fillup, works for me too.

Quick Reply: How not to spill gas on your fender.