Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus comming out with a smaller RX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 09:50 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your responses and thoughts. Since there’s nothing in the market, we are probably going with a Q5 or XC60. Haven’t seen the new X3 (out Nov 2010), but the current X3 was poorly executed. Cheap interior materials and way to firm of a ride.
Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
OP mentioned small luxury SUV. Although it does have it's advantages, Kia Sportage doesn't fit the bill.
Originally Posted by mikemareen
it's a small suv, it competes directly with the honda crv.....now luxury would be in the eye of the beholder. a well equipped sportage is pretty luxury! it's a very hot looking small suv no joke!
You’re both right. The Kia Sportage offers a lot for the money; however my wife felt that even the RAV4 wasn’t as luxurious as the other cars. I guess she’s spoilt being chauffeured in my IS350 all day.
Originally Posted by TorontoIS
I would love to see a smaller than RX Lexus SUV. I would consider that as a next vehicle.
That’s what I was hoping for. A fully-loaded RAV4 Luxury, 3.5L V6, nav, upgraded stereo, all the bells and whistles came out to $32k MSRP. If Lexus took that platform and added a better looking interior, better sound insulation, and exterior (say more like a mini RX) and charged us $40k, IMHO it would sell well. That’s still ~$7k cheaper than a comparably equipped X3 or Q5, and in the Acura RDX range. BUT, as others mentioned, it would take away from RX350 sales.
Originally Posted by IS-SV
And RAV4/Matrix derivatives would be way too down-scale when compared to GLK/Q5/new X3. Not suitable to have Lexus branding in US market.
BUT, they are coming out with the CT200, which is smaller than the IS, and will be priced in the 30s. Down-market is the trend right now as the Yen continues to inflate. CT200 is just too small of a car for us. I doubt the rear seats will be bigger than the already cramped IS.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
What Lexus should seriously consider, IMO, is an upmarket version of the Toyota Venza. That would perform many of the RX's all-weather functions, but sit somewhat lower and handle more car-like.
There is the LF-X Lexus concept vehicle that looks like an upscale Venza. The Venza has a very nice interior (somewhat upscale compared to other Toyotas). However, I believe it’s just as long, if not longer then the RX. Interior volume felt the same as the RX. There is the LF-X Lexus concept vehicle that looks like an upscale Venza.
Old 09-01-10, 10:05 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

You mean smaller and more useless, like the Infiniti EX???

If Rav4 and Venza doesn't fit the bill, then:
Originally Posted by RXSF
buy a CT and put some 22s on it. lol
(20"s should do)
Old 09-01-10, 10:06 AM
LexFather

I have to say that myself and the wife really like the Volvo XC60. Some good deals too. Looks great with the Volvo sport package or whatever they call it.