Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan XTerra's days may be numbered.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-10, 08:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Note: The Hummer H3 was Rubicon-tested but is now officially extinct, therefore doesn't matter today.
The H3 (actually done on the Colorado-Canyon truck platform), which was more comparable to slightly larger Jeeps (and the XTerra), was not intended to be an Wrangler competitor. That role was supposed to go to the planned, smaller, H4, which was never actually brought to the market. Hummer, of course, eventually folded, but the H4 project was cancelled long before that was announced. The Hummer people were mum about exactly why it never got to the (local) auto-show circuit, but it appears that funding for it simply ran out as Hummer sales plummeted.
Old 08-30-10, 09:33 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The H3 (actually done on the Colorado-Canyon truck platform), which was more comparable to slightly larger Jeeps (and the XTerra), was not intended to be an Wrangler competitor. That role was supposed to go to the planned, smaller, H4, which was never actually brought to the market. Hummer, of course, eventually folded, but the H4 project was cancelled long before that was announced. The Hummer people were mum about exactly why it never got to the (local) auto-show circuit, but it appears that funding for it simply ran out as Hummer sales plummeted.
The H3 was intended as premium SUV with the capabilities of a Wrangler offroad. They were actually Rubicon-tested, unlike other non-Jeep premium SUVs, which I noted. The Wrangler does not have the same level of luxury equipment available.

I know an engineer at GM (and Hummer owner), the entire division ran out of new vehicle funding not just the H4. The Hummer people at the car show are typically the last to know.
Old 08-30-10, 09:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mikemareen
the exterra and pathfinder's are equivalents to domestic junk.

given the price and the mpg u get, there are much better and cheaper alternatives out theres.

these are usdm models made here in the USA, I'm not sure about where the exterra was made but I know the path is made here and is a horrible hunk of useless metal.
The Sonata is made here. So is the Sorento now. The Camry, Accord is made here. THe BMW X5, X6 and Benz ML is made here. Acura TL, RDX is made here. Suburu Legacy is made here. Nissan's ALtima and MAxima are made here.

There are many more examples of import branded cars made in America here.

Speedflex is the Pathfinder made here? I am not sure.

Originally Posted by speedflex
Therein lies the problem for Xterra. Nissan has other offerings which are more useful, more comfortable and more attractive. Pretty soon the Juke will be eating into Xterra sales as well.
I think a lot some of it has to do with trends changing In the early 2000s Xterras and Land Rovers and Hummers were trendy. Today LR has hung on but not the other two.

Toyota's FJ Cruiser sells much less today than initially as well. The trendiness has worn off.

I exclude the Wrangler b/c it has a core audience that will always buy it.

Old 08-30-10, 09:50 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Speedflex is the Pathfinder made here? I am not sure.
Yes, Pathfinder is built at the Smyrna, TN plant which generally produces vehicles of good quality.
Old 03-18-15, 07:05 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Nissan to axe Xterra after 2015

I always liked the Xterra, almost bought one too.

NASHVILLE, Tennessee — The Nissan Xterra SUV will not be available in the U.S. after the 2015 model year, Edmunds has learned.

The Xterra, which competes against the Jeep Wrangler, is being discontinued for regulatory reasons. Nissan would have had to invest in upgraded safety and emissions equipment for what is a fairly limited audience.

Another key Xterra competitor, the Toyota FJ Cruiser, ended its production run at the end of the 2014 model year.

Nissan sold 16,505 Xterras in 2014, a decline of 7 percent compared to the previous year. The Xterra, with its body-on-frame, truck-based roots, faced a rising tide of car-based crossovers, including the Buick Encore, Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4.

While boasting impressive off-road capability and a durable cabin, the Xterra is hampered by poor fuel economy and unrefined road manners. The EPA says the 2015 Xterra two-wheel-drive model returns 16 mpg in city driving and 22 mpg on the highway, while the four-wheel-drive model returns 15 mpg in city driving and 20 mpg on the highway.

The 2015 Xterra is on sale now at Nissan dealerships.

Modest upgrades for the 2015 model year include the addition of NissanConnect with Mobile Apps and a USB connection for iPod interface on the Xterra S, along with the addition of a new SolarFlare Yellow exterior color.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/niss...ed-in-u-s.html

sales numbers...

Last edited by bagwell; 03-18-15 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-18-15, 07:19 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Junk is in the eye of the beholder. Wranglers are great off road. Their reliability and on road driving manners qualify it as junk, imo. Doesn't mean it doesn't sell. The Xterra is a great suv but dated styling, no advertising, and pretty much model anonymity sealed its fate. Similar to the FJ Cruiser, which Toyota states was always meant to be a one generation vehicle, people didn't really know much about it. Besides most people's needs are much better met by other more efficient vehicles. The wrangler, as crappy as it is, is an iconic original and will always sell because of its diehard fans.
Old 03-18-15, 09:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell

Interesting that the XTerra has lasted this long. Four or five years ago (as the original thread topic suggests) many in the auto industry were predicting its demise. I think one thing that ended up keeping it going was when the newest Pathfinder shed its rugged body-on-frame and off-road capability to become essentially a less-expensive version of the luxury-oriented Infiniti QX60.
Old 03-19-15, 05:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
NASHVILLE, Tennessee — The Nissan Xterra SUV will not be available in the U.S. after the 2015 model year, Edmunds has learned.

The Xterra, which competes against the Jeep Wrangler, is being discontinued for regulatory reasons. Nissan would have had to invest in upgraded safety and emissions equipment for what is a fairly limited audience.

Another key Xterra competitor, the Toyota FJ Cruiser, ended its production run at the end of the 2014 model year.

Nissan sold 16,505 Xterras in 2014, a decline of 7 percent compared to the previous year. The Xterra, with its body-on-frame, truck-based roots, faced a rising tide of car-based crossovers, including the Buick Encore, Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4.

While boasting impressive off-road capability and a durable cabin, the Xterra is hampered by poor fuel economy and unrefined road manners. The EPA says the 2015 Xterra two-wheel-drive model returns 16 mpg in city driving and 22 mpg on the highway, while the four-wheel-drive model returns 15 mpg in city driving and 20 mpg on the highway.

The 2015 Xterra is on sale now at Nissan dealerships.

Modest upgrades for the 2015 model year include the addition of NissanConnect with Mobile Apps and a USB connection for iPod interface on the Xterra S, along with the addition of a new SolarFlare Yellow exterior color.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/niss...ed-in-u-s.html

sales numbers...
Ok--nobody is cross-shopping a Buick Encore and a Nissan Xterra.
Old 03-19-15, 05:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Junk is in the eye of the beholder. Wranglers are great off road. Their reliability and on road driving manners qualify it as junk, imo. Doesn't mean it doesn't sell. The Xterra is a great suv but dated styling, no advertising, and pretty much model anonymity sealed its fate. Similar to the FJ Cruiser, which Toyota states was always meant to be a one generation vehicle, people didn't really know much about it. Besides most people's needs are much better met by other more efficient vehicles. The wrangler, as crappy as it is, is an iconic original and will always sell because of its diehard fans.
This is true, because, just like cross overs, there are plenty (but not as many as cross over owners) of Wrangler owners that will never take their Jeeps off road--they just think it's cool.
Old 03-19-15, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
This is true, because, just like cross overs, there are plenty (but not as many as cross over owners) of Wrangler owners that will never take their Jeeps off road--they just think it's cool.

This is true. Some Wrangler owners DO drive it simply for image (or to impress people), and rarely or never actually take it off road into its natural habitat. But, because of a number of factors, a higher percentage of Wrangler owners venture off-road perhaps than with any other SUV in the American market.

One thing that could (possibly) help with these statistics is if some insurance companies changed their policies (no pun intended) of not covering vehicles off-road even if, like the Wrangler, those vehicles were clearly designed to do so. A number of SUV owners probably want to go off into the boonies, but are (rightfully) concerned if a boulder rolls down the side of a mountain and puts a big dent in it, or if large rocks or other obstacles damage the undercarrage (skid plates can only protect so much). Also, of course, are Federal, state, and local regulations (and private-property/trsspassing rules) determining who can drive off-road, and where.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-15 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-19-15, 07:05 AM
charmander
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember when I was a kid this car came out and I loved it. I'm surprised it is even made anymore haha.
Old 03-19-15, 07:07 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

I would rather take a Y61 Nissan Patrol over this any day. You don't get it in the US obviously, but here in the GCC we do and most people who want an off road Nissan go for the Patrol instead of the Xterra, even though the Xterra is very capable and is great fun out in the dunes, however a Patrol has legend status around here and it really is one of the toughest 4wd's ever....
Old 03-19-15, 07:28 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
I would rather take a Y61 Nissan Patrol over this any day. You don't get it in the US obviously, but here in the GCC we do and most people who want an off road Nissan go for the Patrol instead of the Xterra, even though the Xterra is very capable and is great fun out in the dunes, however a Patrol has legend status around here and it really is one of the toughest 4wd's ever....
2 very different vehicles --- XTerra is not a luxury offroad SUV like the Patrol; Patrol seems like a Landcruiser competitor.

....and the Patrol looks H U G E

Old 03-19-15, 07:56 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Y61 Patrol is an old school 4wd with solid axles, the patrol you posted is the Y62.
Attached Thumbnails Nissan XTerra's days may be numbered.-31194610003_large.jpg   Nissan XTerra's days may be numbered.-03.jpg   Nissan XTerra's days may be numbered.-pck3.jpg   Nissan XTerra's days may be numbered.-01.jpg   Nissan XTerra's days may be numbered.-678ce343964a932aa6589eb2c3e573.jpg  

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 03-19-15 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-19-15, 09:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
Y61 Patrol is an old school 4wd with solid axles, the patrol you posted is the Y62.
ahh, I see. Y61 looks better, more rugged.

Quick Reply: Nissan XTerra's days may be numbered.