Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I have my Genesis, GREAT car

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 03:35 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
brands do make a statement....like lexus or benz...some peoples lives are dependent on brands.

but there is no bigger statement made than a black genesis sedan slammed on deep lipped 20" maverick 107d wheels while cruising through wilshire and western in los angeles....nothing needs to be said about that.

so i guess that will be going after the kdm vip look (as opposed to jdm vip look)?
Old 08-26-10, 03:44 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
Actually, I was insinuating that the OP cared more about things other than the "well made luxury product", not that the OP didn't care.

What I am concerned about is the Best Car for my Money. Reliability, Looks, Luxury, performance, comfort, Electronic Features, Storage, Ride, Handling all play a part.

I can tell you what I am not concerned about - Prestige in a Name. Yes, I have owned 3 Lexus. They earned a prestige name, but have slipped in the last 5 years.

May the best car win.
Old 08-26-10, 03:49 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Nothing is wrong with a guy liking the new Genesis. Its just a personal preference. After all, we all have our likes and dislikes. The Hyundai is doing a great job lately, but to say that their cars are better than Lexus I think is a bit too early. They are not on the same lever just yet. Good cars, but not there just yet
Old 08-26-10, 03:56 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

As far as Rebadging the Car the dealership offered it and I thought it was a much cooler emblem than stock. It will also match my aftermarket grill.

Old 08-26-10, 03:57 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the new Genesis. Hyundai is starting to impress me the last couple of years. We will have to wait and see if I can really pull the trigger on a Hyundai or not, but after looking at all the comparable cars for my mom, next year I'm thinking of getting her a Hyundai Sonata. I'm not sure I can pull the trigger on a Genesis right now as I kind of want another BMW, bug maybe the 2nd Gen Genesis will be the ticket provided the price stays competitive.

Congratulations on the new Genesis. I think its a great car and I don't really get why people are making fun of you or the car. I guess people just like to prove they are in a higher class then the rest of us.
Old 08-26-10, 04:02 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup that's the whole point! to confuse people! you got it!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Congrats, you finally got your dream car.

lol, really? Yeah, nothing makes a bigger statement then a Hyundai Genesis in black with wheels confusing everyone thinking its some sort of Lexus or INfiniti or BMW or Benz. Yeah big statement.

Last edited by mikemareen; 08-26-10 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-26-10, 04:06 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually like the Genesis sedan but wouldn't believe anyone who said it was better than a GS. I would buy one but only if there were lowering kits available for it. I assume there aren't any.
Old 08-26-10, 04:07 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

don't even bother rebadging it! leave it as is!

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
As far as Rebadging the Car the dealership offered it and I thought it was a much cooler emblem than stock. It will also match my aftermarket grill.

Old 08-26-10, 04:08 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

no such thing as korean vip, so there is no look to prove to.

Originally Posted by Stormforge
so i guess that will be going after the kdm vip look (as opposed to jdm vip look)?
Old 08-26-10, 04:56 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

First off, congrats to the OP.

Purchasing a new car is always fun and exciting to the buyer....as it should be.

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Based on many perceptions of Hyundai, you're not alone.
We get it. Hyundai has improved. Nobody here is denying that. It is not, or nowhere close to being a true luxury brand. They're producing a couple of vehicles that are good steps, but overall they're still a long ways away. And yes, I have been in Hyundai dealerships over the past year and have been in their cars. Tier 1 is still Audi/BMW/MB with Lexus matching the traits but lacking the depth in their lineup nowadays.

Originally Posted by Faymester
There are a large variety of cars available for purchase because there exisits a demand for each thing that each car is good at.

If you place a higher value on ... what ever it is the Hyundai (or how ever you spell it) is good at, then you should purchase that, as you did; while those of us that place value on well made luxury products that we can hold on to for many years will purchase something else.

Congratz on the purchase of the car that satisfies your demands.
+1 good post Fayme.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
with all due respect you are assuming that he doesnt care about "well made luxury products" or that Hyundai doesnt produce them. I think the point of this thread is let us know that its not only equal but better. So for those of us who want "well made luxury products" we should check Hyundai as well. I see where you are coming from but just like toyota changed perceptions of their random *** Lexus brand that popped in the late 80's Hyundai deserves the same respect and interest when they are producing cars that are very competitive in their segenst. we should all remember that Hyundai is trying to enter a new market they have never been in with very competitive products that out perform the competiton. Just like many Mercedes and BMW owners ate their words, I think many of us will be stuffed with words in 5 years. Give Hyundai the same respect and expectations as Lexus back in the day. It obvious that they are right on track
Apples to oranges. What Hyundai is doing is trying to launch a couple of new models to become a luxury brand?

Toyota launched a separate division with Lexus that separated itself from it's mainstream, run of the mill vehicles. That isn't happening with Hyundai. Until they also come out with something original that is luxurious, people that want luxury will look to the Tier 1 brands.

The reality is that those that want perceived luxury and want to save a couple of bucks will gravitate to these models.

Genesis sedan or Equus? No thanks, 5/E or LS/S outclass them badly.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Congrats, you finally got your dream car.

What is puzzling is you promote Hyundai is better etc etc yet the first thing you want to do is DEBADGE it and take all the Hyundai badges off?

If you are so proud of it and its so much better shoulder you leave them? Even add one to the front grill (since it doesn't have a Hyundai badge)?
I've never understood this whole wanna-be Bentley badging thing?

We're not going to mix up a 300 or a Genesis for a Bentley...lol.

Once again, why do we talk about Hyundai so much over here???

For those of you that don't spend time on the other Tier 1 brand forums....they tend to talk about Porsche, AM, the other Tier 1 brands....Hyundai and Honda aren't hot topics. Are many ClubLexus members looking to make the move to Hyundai?
Old 08-26-10, 05:22 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Luxury is not supposed to make financial sense. Luxury is not about value. The Genesis is may have more bang for the buck than a BMW, Benz, Audi, Lexus etc. It's up to the buyer to decide whether the luxury is worth the premium.
Old 08-26-10, 05:28 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

congrats OP on the new car!

the GS was probably bottom of the class. it wasn't full blown sport, luxury or tech, and the back seat... well you could hardly call it a back seat.
it tried to be all things to all people, and while good at most, it excelled in none.
at least it looked good.
Old 08-26-10, 05:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Hyundai has done well in segments emphasizing value. The Sonata (nice competitive fwd family car) and Elantra (ugggg cheap rental car) are clearly the best sellers which is evidence of where Hyundai succeeds.
Old 08-26-10, 05:57 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice, congrats! I may take a look at them when they start coming off of leases in the next year or two...
Old 08-26-10, 07:43 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

definitely congrats on the new ride. i'm not gonna knock the OP for purchasing a vehicle he feels fit for his life situation. but having been in one myself, it didn't have that luxurious feel that i think hyundai was going for. that's just my personal opinion. it is definitely the owner's perception of luxury. that's not to say i would not look at future hyundai models to fit my luxury needs, though.

Quick Reply: I have my Genesis, GREAT car