Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Officially Official: Updated 2011 Jeep Wrangler now in production

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 11:45 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Officially Official: Updated 2011 Jeep Wrangler now in production

Officially Official: Updated 2011 Jeep Wrangler now in production

After a bevy of leaked product images and spy shots, official confirmation of an updated 2011 Jeep Wrangler can hardly be considered a surprise, but it's still a welcome development. For its next model year, the venerable four-wheeler will receive a comprehensive (and much needed) interior update, along with a body-color removable hardtop available on the Sahara trim.

2011 Jeep Wrangler dashboardThe new Wrangler, which has just gone into production this week at Chrysler's Toledo Assembly Complex, gets a new steering wheel, instrument panel, reworked center stack, and even larger rear windows. Other changes include a lockable console, gooshier armrests and upgraded materials all around.

On the creature-feature front, there's a new USB interface for keeping those top-down tunes flowing, as well as Bluetooth streaming audio. You'll be able to hear your music of choice even better in the 2011 model, too, as the company has splashed out for a new 'acoustical treatment' designed to cut the Jeep's (in)famous cabin din. Of course, if you're buying a Wrangler, you're probably not looking for the ultimate in refinement, but at first blush, these measured updates strike a nice balance with us.

Finally, a brace of new paint colors make the scene for the new model year, including Bright White, Cosmos Blue, Deep Cherry Red, Detonator Yellow, and Sahara Tan.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-...ngler/#3277699

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/19/2...ed-production/
Old 08-19-10, 12:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

kind of like all of the 911's, I have to say BFD ( no disrespect to you only to Jeep.....and Porsche). The design team at Jeep is the laziest bunch of SOBs this side of Stuttgart.

I would buy an FJ cruiser and add a lift kit
Old 08-19-10, 12:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Wrangler is top selling Jeep by far (GC is second). Both Wrangler and new GC are critical to continued success of this division, not to mention Chrysler.
Old 08-19-10, 12:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Love wranglers. Id get one just for the beach areas.

"Bout the Jeep took the *** doors off, Foot out that **** ride it like a skateboard" jay-z
Old 08-19-10, 12:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The Wrangler is top selling Jeep by far (GC is second). Both Wrangler and new GC are critical to continued success of this division, not to mention Chrysler.
Generally the reverse from, say, 15 years ago (mid-90's), when the GC was an enormous seller, second only to the Ford Explorer. Back then, of course, the mid-sized competition in the SUV segment was not nearly what it is today, and the Explorer and GC dominated the top two spots. The Wrangler, though, unlike today, probably had more competition back then, with the Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker and the brief-lived Daihatsu Rocky, than it does now. Today, almost nothing in the American market actually competes with the Wrangler as an inexpensive, dedicated, purpose-built off-roader, although the Nissan XTerra is a slightly more upscale alternative. Ironically, the biggest competition to new Wranglers today seems to be USED Wranglers.

There's also a big difference between Wrangler owners and those of most SUV's, even those that are off-road-capable. Only 4 or 5% of most SUV owners actually go off-road, but, with the Wrangler, those estimates range from 25-50%.

As for the GC today, the 2011 version (see my review) is far better, overall, then its predecessors. the advances in interior quality, drivetrain smoothness, and overall refinement are notable. Those who actually go and look at it may likely end up buying it, even though Chrysler has huge incentives on the old 2010 models and nothing on the 2011...though the new 2011 now has a 5/100 drivetrain warranty that matches GM's. Reliability, of course (long the GC's Achilles' Heel), is still unknown on the new ones.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-19-10 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-19-10, 01:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have rented them twice while on vacation in the islands and I have to say it is the poorest quality modern vehicle I have ever driven . It had equal interior quality and transmission as my mothers old Datsun 210 station wagon from the early 80's. The only think I would say about the Jeep is it had the best turning radius I have ever experienced. I couldnt even get the thing to 75 mph without the cloth roof bubbling upwards like it was going to get ripped off the car . After my second time renting a wrangler I took it back and got the V6 mustang convertible ( another hunk a junk ). On my last visit I said the hell with these lower end cars and got the Camaro SS ( only $400 more for the whole week).
Old 08-19-10, 01:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have rented them twice while on vacation in the islands and I have to say it is the poorest quality modern vehicle I have ever driven . It had equal interior quality and transmission as my mothers old Datsun 210 station wagon from the early 80's. The only think I would say about the Jeep is it had the best turning radius I have ever experienced. I couldnt even get the thing to 75 mph without the cloth roof bubbling upwards like it was going to get ripped off the car . After my second time renting a wrangler I took it back and got the V6 mustang convertible ( another hunk a junk ). On my last visit I said the hell with these lower end cars and got the Camaro SS ( only $400 more for the whole week).
Both the rather primitive interior and the short turning radius are purposely-done in the Wrangler's design. Though many improvements have been done over the years and decades to acclimatize it to civilian life, it is actually a descendent of the original military Jeep of World War II, which was designed in 1940.

The short turning radius, of course, was necessary not only to get around battlefield obstacles, but also for Mountain-Goat climbing on rock ledges, narrow ruts/trails, etc....
Old 08-19-10, 01:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

There's also a big difference between Wrangler owners and those of most SUV's, even those that are off-road-capable. Only 4 or 5% of most SUV owners actully go off-road, but, with the Wangler, those estimates range from 25-50%.
Yes, that distinction (Wrangler versus all the other SUV's) explains the unique hardware that makes the Wrangler so crude on the street when used as a street commuter or vacation runabout. Main hardware differences versus the competition are (top 2 in combination) body on frame truck-type chassis and front/back solid axles. But the Wrangler's configuration combined with other features geared towards offroad capability make it the best for that purpose.
Old 08-19-10, 01:35 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Wrangler has a devoted and vocal following - if the howl of protest (read: riot) over the introduction of the YJ model in 1987 (through 1995) with a lighter weight Dana rear end, plastic dashboard, and (gasp!) square headlights is any yardstick. The YJ was called the "Yuppie Jeep", but like it's brothers before and since, was made for passage over rough terrain, not speed, not handling, not even much comfort. It was and is a machine made to haul two people and their gear well beyond where the pavement ends. Getting to that point required a lot of compromises in other characteristics.

Therefore, comparing a Wrangler to conventional automobiles and even SUV's is not fair, and individuals purchasing a Wrangler purely as a fashion statement for on-road use simply have to accept the limitations that come with vehicle designed for a highly-targeted market. If buyers aren't driving at least 20% of their miles offroad, they probably won't be happy with a Wrangler.
Old 08-19-10, 01:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Therefore, comparing a Wrangler to conventional automobiles and even SUV's is not fair, and individuals purchasing a Wrangler purely as a fashion statement for on-road use simply have to accept the limitations that come with vehicle designed for a highly-targeted market. If buyers aren't driving at least 20% of their miles offroad, they probably won't be happy with a Wrangler.
Agreed, Lil. That's like people buying big, traditional Buicks and then complaining because they don't have sports-car handling.
Old 08-19-10, 01:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, a Wrangler purchased as a fashion statement can end up being very disappointing for the poorly informed.
Old 08-19-10, 01:55 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kind of like all of the 911's, I have to say BFD ( no disrespect to you only to Jeep.....and Porsche). The design team at Jeep is the laziest bunch of SOBs this side of Stuttgart.

I would buy an FJ cruiser and add a lift kit

I don't think you understand the Wrangler and its owners. I've learned a few things as my wife is a die hard owner and will not drive anything else regardless of its horrendous gas mileage (15 mpg) and countless problems.

Chrysler is pretty much not allowed to change the Wrangler much. If they do, they'll never hear the end of it. There is a huge cult following for this vehicle that demands that they remain as traditional as possible. Remember when Chrysler took over Jeep and one of the most notable differences on the Wrangler was square headlamps? Chrysler was bashed for years for it. In fact, a large potion of Wrangler fanatics are upset with the current generation's changes saying that it's gone soft and is too refined (believe it or not). Most enthusiast's favorite is the last gen.

So no, Jeep isn't lazy, they kind of have their hands tied. All you're ever going to see with the Wrangler is a slow evolution. The one 50 years from now won't look all that different.

If you want change, check out the new Grand Cherokee. That doesn't look like a lazy change to me.

I have rented them twice while on vacation in the islands and I have to say it is the poorest quality modern vehicle I have ever driven . It had equal interior quality and transmission as my mothers old Datsun 210 station wagon from the early 80's. The only think I would say about the Jeep is it had the best turning radius I have ever experienced. I couldnt even get the thing to 75 mph without the cloth roof bubbling upwards like it was going to get ripped off the car)...
Of course it's the most unrefined vehicle available, it's supposed to be. If that honor didn't go to the Wrangler, then who would it be?

Something to always remember about a Wrangler. It's the ONLY street vehicle available that is first an off road vehicle. That means it has to sacrifice most of the refinements we have come to expect in modern automobiles. It's load, bumpy, and doesn't handle well. But can your Lexus climb over boulders?
Old 08-19-10, 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, a Wrangler purchased as a fashion statement can end up being very disappointing for the poorly informed.
When you consider, though, that probably 50% of Wrangler owners don't go off-road, even this vehicle has its share of "fashion-statements". That was the case with a neighbor of mine (now gone) who owned two Wrangler Sahara models back-to-back and did little else but grocery-shop.

It's the people who buy the hard-core Rubicon model and end up being pavement-queens, though, who probably waste their money the most....and suffer a rough ride needlessly. The Rubicon (named for the Rubicon Trail, one of the toughest Jeep-courses on earth), has suspension/underbody components whose bouncing would test the mettle of a WWE Wrestler.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-19-10 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-19-10, 02:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's the people who buy the hard-core Rubicon model and end up being pavement-queens, though, who probably waste their money the most....and suffer a rough ride needlessly. The Rubicon (named for the Rubicon Trail, one of the toughest Jeep-courses on earth), has suspension/underbody components whose bouncing would test the mettle of a WWE Wrestler.
Yes, I'm familiar with Rubicon trail, it's in CA near second Tahoe homes (2) owned by my family.

The Rubicon model adds a some hardware at a price to improve offroad capability but the ride quality versus a stock Wrangler isn't much different. In fact the larger higher profile tires improve cushioning over obstacles.

Rubicon has:

* Best-in-class approach and departure angles
* Best-in-class ground clearance
* Locking differentials
* Huge meaty tires
* Full-length rock rails
* Steel plate underbody armor

But I agree, the Wrangler isn't the best SUV choice for most buyers considering how they use SUV's.
Old 08-19-10, 02:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

One thing I haven't heard about the 2011 model is the powertrain. The lackluster 3.8 V6 really needs to go. The new corporate 3.6 V6 should be in this car

Quick Reply: Officially Official: Updated 2011 Jeep Wrangler now in production