Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Old 12-15-14, 04:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

got a ticket for 5000k HID's in a lexus GS300

Old 08-12-10, 01:26 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry got a ticket for 5000k HID's in a lexus GS300

So today I happen to drive by a "upper" class area with my 2002 gs because the highways was jammed packed and i took a local route my gps guided me to. the officers were driving west bound and me east. when the officers passed and both stared into my vehicle i already knew they were going to pull me over from the looks they gave, they popped a U and lights came on. so i had my license, reg, ins ready and she approached my vehicle you know youre not suppose to have those lights right? i was like which lights? she said those white ones. I said you mean my headlights? since i have yellow fogs as well i thought she was talking about them. I said these vehicles come equipped from factory with xenons. after that they looked around and said these tints also. I said mam, the front tints are factory tints the rear ones are 15% which is the legal ny law and i showed em the receipt which states that when I had my tints done. so you guys get the idea now how pissed she was/got. so of course she returns back and hands me a ticket for "improper headlights".

I never got pulled over for LEGAL colored headlights. I have my lights properly aligned so i know i was not blinding any oncoming traffic. how do you guys plea innocent for legal colored HID's? I have 5k's NO blue hint at all. should i just take a pic and show the judge? guess its quota time for the NYPD officers.
Old 08-12-10, 02:02 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They probably just didn't like you. The wheels combined with mods like visors and rims make you stand out to cops. . . a sad fact, but true. The mods you have listed aren't excessive or ricey, but they will definitely make you stand out next to OEM equipped cars.
Old 08-12-10, 02:03 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Also, if you have aftermarket HID's installed in halogen housings, there cutoff will never be as clean as OEM equipped ones. It's EXTREMELY obvious to a trained eye which cars have OEM equipped HID's and which ones are aftermarket. . . basically whichever ones blind the hell out of you. . .

If you really want to be an SOB, you can swap the headlights to stock and fight the ticket.
Old 08-12-10, 02:45 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

The funny thing is I do have the HID bowls off the GS430 on my vehicle which is a oem xenon setup. only thing ive changed was the 4300k bulb to 5k bulbs. headlights are aligned correctly to oem spec, only the fog's are aimed slightly higher. but nowhere near someones bumper area.

Im def going to bring this in to fight the ticket. just wasnt sure what was needed to prove my point since all the ticket said is "Improper Headlight use" which means ALOT of things when i did a search on google on it? would only a picture of my light output from inside the car towards the road be acceptable since there is 0 glare above eye levels? or just a regular pic of the front is good enough?
Old 08-12-10, 06:32 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Yeah, in that case, you got hosed. . . 5000k in an OEM setup is near impossible to tell apart from stock. Total BS.
Old 08-12-10, 06:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
Yeah, in that case, you got hosed. . . 5000k in an OEM setup is near impossible to tell apart from stock. Total BS.
I was thinking the same thing.5K's do not have any blue or purple.Just a bit whiter than stock 4300's.
Old 08-12-10, 06:55 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI, the rear tints are not legal in NY, that law was changed so you may not want to try that line anymore. Cops for the most part still let us get away with it.

The § 375 (12-a)(b)(2) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law requires that side windows, both front and back, cannot be covered by a window tint film that allows "light transmittance" of less than 70 percent. This means that some degree of aftermarket window tinting is permitted. As long as the window tint film allows 70 percent of visible light to pass through the film and the window glass, your windows do not violate the law.
Old 08-12-10, 07:19 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
FYI, the rear tints are not legal in NY, that law was changed so you may not want to try that line anymore. Cops for the most part still let us get away with it.

The § 375 (12-a)(b)(2) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law requires that side windows, both front and back, cannot be covered by a window tint film that allows "light transmittance" of less than 70 percent. This means that some degree of aftermarket window tinting is permitted. As long as the window tint film allows 70 percent of visible light to pass through the film and the window glass, your windows do not violate the law.
Yea thats one thing i got away with when i showed her the receipt for the tints that they are within the legal specs. but the whole headlight thing was just crazy. so far im going to bring evidence these vehicles do come with OEM xenon discharge lamps sine the violation code 3752b is within the limits of "aftermarket light use violation" or "dazzling lamps", and 3 photos of my light output within 30-40 ft away and the cutoff line against my driveway. hopefully this can close this matter.

they raised NY's ticket prices as well.

seatbelt, cell phone, most other violations = 130$
disobey traffic control = 130$
equipment = 90$
overweight/length = 330$
nyc redlight offense 1st offense = 270$, 2nd = 455$, 3rd = 1020$

they say all prices included in fees are a 60$ surcharge &20$ fee. equipment violation is a 30$ surcharge. f'ing nuts...
Old 08-12-10, 07:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike813
Yea thats one thing i got away with when i showed her the receipt for the tints that they are within the legal specs. but the whole headlight thing was just crazy. so far im going to bring evidence these vehicles do come with OEM xenon discharge lamps sine the violation code 3752b is within the limits of "aftermarket light use violation" or "dazzling lamps", and 3 photos of my light output within 30-40 ft away and the cutoff line against my driveway. hopefully this can close this matter.

they raised NY's ticket prices as well.

seatbelt, cell phone, most other violations = 130$
disobey traffic control = 130$
equipment = 90$
overweight/length = 330$
nyc redlight offense 1st offense = 270$, 2nd = 455$, 3rd = 1020$

they say all prices included in fees are a 60$ surcharge &20$ fee. equipment violation is a 30$ surcharge. f'ing nuts...
All fines are high but that redlight fine ridiculous.
Old 08-12-10, 07:36 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if your ticket is for improper headlights, then that could mean a bunch of things and you won't know specifically which way to fight it until you are in front of a judge and the officer gives testimony.

If you were cited for violating the below part of the headlight law, it may be difficult to beat. It's not as simple as whether HID's came with your car or not. Our fog lights are "illegal" too and the fact that we put HID's in makes it worse (you're only supposed to have one set of lights on in NYS unless necessary). If the officer is saying the glare from your car blinded them coming down the street, then you'll need to prove to the judge how or why the officer is wrong. AS cash strapped as the state is, judges dont throw out tickets as much as they used to. Good luck with the fight.

3. Headlamps required pursuant to the provisions of subdivision two of this section may be of the multiple beam type designed to produce more than one distribution of light or of the single beam type designed to produce only one distribution of light. Provided that, whenever a vehicle approaching from ahead is within five hundred feet, or when approaching a moving vehicle from the rear and within two hundred feet of the same, the headlamps, if of the multiple beam type, or the auxiliary front facing lamps, if the vehicle is so equipped, shall be operated so that dazzling light does not interfere with the driver of the approaching vehicle, or the vehicle being approached, and, whenever the highway is so lighted or traffic thereon is such that illumination of the highway for more than two hundred feet ahead of the vehicle by lights on such vehicle is unnecessary or impracticable, the headlamps, if of the multiple beam type, or the auxiliary front facing lamps, if the vehicle is so equipped, shall be operated with the lowermost distribution of light in use. Nothing contained in this subdivision shall be construed to prevent the use of flashing high beams to signify an intention to pass a vehicle or vehicles when two or more vehicles are traveling in the same direction, the operation of any headlamp as defined in paragraph d of subdivision two of this section, nor shall it apply to any auxiliary front facing lamp permitted to be displayed only on an authorized emergency vehicle.
Old 08-12-10, 07:56 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When I first read the topic, I though you got a ticket for $5000k... as in five million bucks
Old 08-12-10, 08:08 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

All the states need money so best way to raise revenue is through tickets.
Old 08-12-10, 08:11 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

being that she patrols a higher-end area, you would think she would be more open to these as majority of the cars in the area are equipped with far more colorful effects from projectors lenses than our OEM housings or even 5k replacements.

but she was defienitely profiling...i would fight it, bring in evidence that shows you have OEM HID housings which pass 50-state regulations. if you can get photo's of another GS with similar output to prove that this is how the factory equipment is, that may even be better.

for all you know...she won't even show up and your case will be dismissed

cops, though they do a great job at protecting us, they can be real a-holes for the most ridiculous reasons. and mainly it's due to them thinking because they have a badge, we are beneath them and they can do no wrong

best of luck with the battle...
Old 08-12-10, 08:15 AM
Sash
Lead Lap

Try and get yourself a PBA card.
Old 08-12-10, 08:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

5000k is NOT legal. 4100-4300k is the only legal color temperature

on another note, how does she prove it's legal or not legal that's another story. that is if your gs300 already comes with factory hid and not hid kits you put in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: got a ticket for 5000k HID's in a lexus GS300