Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Old 12-15-14, 04:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

got a ticket for 5000k HID's in a lexus GS300

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 08:44 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
5000k is NOT legal. 4100-4300k is the only legal color temperature
That's right, even if it looks close to stock they can technically get you if they look at color temperature on the bulb's base.

I would put in 4300k because during the inspection they might find out it is not a 4300k bulb. I would also adjust the direction of the headlights and foglights to proper specifications. Then they should have nothing to get you on.
Old 08-12-10, 08:58 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

on another note, how does she prove it's legal or not legal that's another story. that is if your gs300 already comes with factory hid and not hid kits you put in
From what I understood (unless it has changed - it has been awhile), it wasn't the bulb temperature that made it illegal. Replacement of ANY bulb into a standard Non HID housing is illegal. DOT approved means nothing when stamped onto the kits (Manufacturers SELF CERTIFY their compliance) as DOT does not regulate vehicle equipment. DOT sets Federal MV Safety Standards. FMVSS 108 covers lights.

FYI, here is a copy of a letter NHTSA used to send out when asked for clarification.

Dear Mr. Shih:

This responds to your e-mail, in which you seek clarification regarding the legality of high intensity discharge (HID) headlamp conversion sets, specifically whether it is legal to manufacture or sell sets of HID headlamps to replace original equipment halogen headlamp sets. We are pleased to have the opportunity to answer your questions related to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108, Lamps, Reflective Devices and Associated Equipment.

By way of background, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is authorized to issue FMVSSs that set performance requirements for new motor vehicles and items of motor vehicle equipment. As a preliminary matter, we would clarify that we have no authority either to approve or disapprove motor vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment. We do advise correspondents of the relationship of their products to applicable FMVSSs and other regulations that we administer. If a product is covered by one or more of our safety standards, its manufacturer must certify compliance of the product with all applicable FMVSSs prior to its importation or offering such product for sale. The symbol "DOT" on replacement lighting equipment is often mistaken for "DOT approval" of the equipment, but, in fact, it reflects the manufacturer’s own certification of compliance.

We believe that your questions are addressed by our March 13, 2003, letter of interpretation to Mr. Galen Chen (see enclosure). In that letter, we interpreted FMVSS No. 108 as requiring headlamps manufactured to replace original equipment headlamps to comply with all applicable photometry requirements using the replaceable light sources intended for use in the headlighting system on the vehicle for which the replacement headlamp is intended. Unlike other lamps, FMVSS No. 108 specifically regulates headlighting systems, including their light sources (see S7.1, S7.5, and S7.7). We adhered to this interpretation in a recent interpretation to Calcoast-ITL (69 FR 60464 (Oct. 8, 2004))(see enclosure).

Because replaceable light sources are, by regulation, designed to be non-interchangeable, it would not be possible for an HID headlamp conversion set to meet the standard’s photometry requirements for an original equipment headlamp system using a halogen light source, so the replacement lamps could not be sold for this purpose. Furthermore, a headlamp dealer or motor vehicle repair business could not remove the original halogen headlamps and install HID replacement headlamps without violating 49 U.S.C. 30122. That section prohibits manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and motor vehicle repair businesses from making inoperative equipment installed in accordance with a Federal motor vehicle safety standard. We cannot comment on the specific replacement lighting products that you mentioned because we do not have sufficient information on them.

Finally, in a subsequent e-mail, you asked whether our regulations require HID lighting systems to include "auto-leveling" and washing systems, similar to those incorporated in vehicles sold in Europe. The answer is no. FMVSS No. 108 does specify aimability performance requirements under paragraph S7.8 of the standard, but that paragraph does not require an "auto-leveling" capability. The standard also does not contain any requirement for a headlamp washing system.

s it may be of interest to you, we also have enclosed a copy of our November 18, 2002, letter of interpretation to Mr. Jeff Deetz, which relates to kits that substitute the type of light source in existing headlamps.

I hope you find this information useful. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact Eric Stas of my staff at this address or by telephone at (202) 366-2992.

Sincerely,

Jacqueline Glassman
Chief Counsel
NHTSA
Old 08-12-10, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
From what I understood (unless it has changed - it has been awhile), it wasn't the bulb temperature that made it illegal. Replacement of ANY bulb into a standard Non HID housing is illegal. DOT approved means nothing when stamped onto the kits (Manufacturers SELF CERTIFY their compliance) as DOT does not regulate vehicle equipment. DOT sets Federal MV Safety Standards. FMVSS 108 covers lights.

FYI, here is a copy of a letter NHTSA used to send out when asked for clarification.

NHTSA
that's exactly why i said IF the car already has factory hid, then 4100-4300k is the ONLY legal bulbs to use

if the car does NOT have factory hid, then ANY hid kits (even 4100k) is illegal. you can replace the factory halogen with other halogen of course, but not changing the color temperature.

hid kits in non-hid housing, there is no such thing as "properly aligned". they can't be aligned and there will always be glare because of the housing design and optic difference
Old 08-12-10, 11:19 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

that's exactly why i said IF the car already has factory hid, then 4100-4300k is the ONLY legal bulbs to use

if the car does NOT have factory hid, then ANY hid kits (even 4100k) is illegal. you can replace the factory halogen with other halogen of course, but not changing the color temperature.

hid kits in non-hid housing, there is no such thing as "properly aligned". they can't be aligned and there will always be glare because of the housing design and optic difference
Gotcha

I'm still curious about anything over 4300 being illegal though because of the temperature. I've never heard of that. I know here because of the 'blue' tint that the higher temp bulbs gives off that makes them illegal. But didn't know the temperature had anything to do with it.

A friend of mine told me when he's checking for illegal HID's he holds a white piece of paper in front of the light, if it turns blue, you get a ticket.
Old 08-12-10, 11:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Gotcha

I'm still curious about anything over 4300 being illegal though because of the temperature. I've never heard of that. I know here because of the 'blue' tint that the higher temp bulbs gives off that makes them illegal. But didn't know the temperature had anything to do with it.

A friend of mine told me when he's checking for illegal HID's he holds a white piece of paper in front of the light, if it turns blue, you get a ticket.
The higher the K,the less light output.
Could be the reason.
Old 08-12-10, 11:42 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea that is what i always thought as well for a rule of thumb. anything above white is not ok to have not even that slight hint that some sylvanias have.

bad thing is i DO have the hid bowls retroed in. and using a aftermarket kit to light them up. i'll let u guys know how it goes after i get the court date. awaiting that information now by the DMV.

PBA cards around here does not work as well as they do anymore. you need that captains? badge or plaque that I see alot of folks have now inside their dash or a military ID. its like a 6inch giant gold badge that goes where your inspection sticker sits. a friend of mine got the line "you should know better than anyone else not to speed then" when he tried to use the pba.
Old 08-12-10, 11:56 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The higher the K,the less light output.
Could be the reason.
Right, but that's functionality, not legality.

Originally Posted by Mike813
bad thing is i DO have the hid bowls retroed in. and using a aftermarket kit to light them up. i'll let u guys know how it goes after i get the court date. awaiting that information now by the DMV.
I think you may be stuck on this one. Improper headlights could mean a bunch of things. But cops see enough cars daily to be able to tell where it's a kit or OEM so I can't see a judge not taking a cops word for it.

How much is the ticket anyway?

PBA cards around here does not work as well as they do anymore. you need that captains? badge or plaque that I see alot of folks have now inside their dash or a military ID. its like a 6inch giant gold badge that goes where your inspection sticker sits. a friend of mine got the line "you should know better than anyone else not to speed then" when he tried to use the pba.
They don't give officers PBA cards like they used to. They are even confiscating cards at some stops when people get too arrogant with them saying they are the property of NYPD.
Old 08-12-10, 12:04 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

True!
PBA cards worked years ago but are somewhat of a joke now.
You need cards from higher ups or cop family cards or window badges.
Old 08-12-10, 12:14 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you may be stuck on this one. Improper headlights could mean a bunch of things. But cops see enough cars daily to be able to tell where it's a kit or OEM so I can't see a judge not taking a cops word for it.

How much is the ticket anyway?

They don't give officers PBA cards like they used to. They are even confiscating cards at some stops when people get too arrogant with them saying they are the property of NYPD.
from reading the back it falls on the "Most other violation" which is a 130$ fine. I can prob hope the officer forgets what the offense really was since Improper headlight use could be many other sub categories involving the headlamps. with the PBA card I hear the same unless they are immediate family members, it seems anyone can get their hands on the cards now a days.
Old 08-12-10, 12:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry to hear about the drama. This exactly why I dont have my windows tinted really dark and I never messed with bulbs ( that and some members have had ballast and other issues). This might just be a fix it ticket
Old 11-19-16, 12:58 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Many years later....what was the court result of the trial by HID lighting violation?!?!?
Old 11-19-16, 01:30 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Americans put up with a lot more laws/statutes/regulations than we should. At any given time of a normal day, we're likely breaking several laws and we don't even know it.
Old 11-19-16, 10:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

If your car is modded (I don't know if it is or not), be prepared to attract extra authority attention and additional tickets over time. It just comes with the territory of modded cars. Nine times out of ten, modders have some sort of illegal infraction, so cops know who to go after. If you don't want these hassles, stay stock.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 11-20-16 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-20-16, 07:24 AM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

on another note, how does she prove it's legal or not legal that's another story. that is if your gs300 already comes with factory hid and not hid kits you put in
I'm no expert in hid lighting, but in 99.9% of the time i'd be right in recognizing which hid have the legal temperature color(4300k vs 5000, 6000 ect); So i'm sure she could be too.

Last edited by pavelekPL; 11-20-16 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-21-16, 02:12 PM
Ehsun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that sucks... What state was it it?

Quick Reply: got a ticket for 5000k HID's in a lexus GS300