Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

06-07 toyota highlander hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 02:56 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

yes you can. It will have to be aftermarket but they have it as an option for the new RXh so I know its possible
Old 08-13-10, 11:35 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The limit I believe is 42mph (65km/h) in electric mode (if it's the same as the last gen Prius). Above that speed, the engine will spin (with or without fuel) depending on the situation. However, just don't expect that it'll always stay in EV mode under 42mph because it won't. It will select which source of power to use depending on how much power you demand via your right foot.

If the engine's cold, it will run for a few mins at start up to warm up the cat converter to minimise emissions. You can help by using an EBH to pre-heat the engine before you get in. Don't expect fantastic mileage if your trips are all short (say under 10 miles one way). The engine may be warm enough to shut off but it won't be warm enough to get the best mileage (and that applies to ANY car. Short trips hurt mileage).
Old 08-13-10, 11:40 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5710721-post5.html
Old 08-13-10, 12:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
Im assuming in the morning with a cold start, it will most likely start the engine automatically at sitting a few hours? Then as you go along in your day, the engine will not need to start immediately if you keep the engine temp warm.

Im guessing the old highlander hybrid doesnt have push button start which is why you have this question. I am not familiar with hybrids that dont have push button start, but once you turn the key you should get nothing but the ready light. then the engine will start. I believe there is a delay
Our RX400h has a key. You turn it and the car turns out but it doesn't make a sound. Depending on your battery level you might not hear the engine cut on until you need it.

Its odd to most people. We constantly get remarks like "Is it on" or "I can't hear it" and when we let people take them for a spin its always funny to see them turn on the car and sit there waiting for the engine to come on

Old 08-13-10, 03:36 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its odd to most people. We constantly get remarks like "Is it on" or "I can't hear it" and when we let people take them for a spin its always funny to see them turn on the car and sit there waiting for the engine to come on
I enjoy creeping up on people in parking lots. A confused look is usually the result, suggesting to me that most people still don't understand hybrids.
Old 12-21-10, 07:23 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Just traded in our 06 MDX for an 07 Highlander Hybrid

My wife drives in heavy traffic from Northern, VA to Maryland everyday averaging 17.5mph in the MDX. On top of that, the transmission had to be replaced last year (under warranty) and last week the transmission cable linkage broke in our driveway. We had to have it towed to the dealership, which was the final straw for us. While the dealership had the MDX, the wife and I began our quest for a replacement. It was either going to be an 07 RX400H with 49,000 miles or a 07 Highlander Hybrid Limited with similar miles. I read too many complaints about the inverters going bad in the 06 model years. So we test drove both and decided on the Highlander over the RX for a few reasons.

1. More cargo space
2. The rear seat seems more accessible making it easier to get our 18 month in and out of his child seat.
3. Fuel mileage is slightly better and it's faster
4. We couldn't justify the additional $5000 it would have cost us for an RX400 with similar miles.

Last edited by caymandive; 12-21-10 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-21-10, 08:01 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
My wife drives in heavy traffic from Northern, VA to Maryland everyday averaging 17.5mph in the MDX. On top of that, the transmission had to be replaced last year (under warranty) and last week the transmission cable linkage broke in our driveway. We had to have it towed to the dealership, which was the final straw for us. While the dealership had the MDX, the wife and I began our quest for a replacement. It was either going to be an 07 RX400 with 49,000 miles or a 07 Highlander Hybrid Limited with similar miles. I read too many complaints about the inverters going bad in the 06 model years. So we test drove both and decided on the Highlander over the RX for a few reasons.

1. More cargo space
2. The rear seat seems more accessible making it easier to get our 18 month in and out of his child seat.
3. Fuel mileage is slightly better and it's faster
4. We couldn't justify the additional $5000 it would have cost us for an RX400 with similar miles.

congrats on the highlander