Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti JX Compact Crossovers to Expand Nissan's Luxury Lineup

Old 03-28-12, 08:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
The JX, like the QX, are vehicles which by nature defy the mantra of "inspired performance". They're big truck, bus... things and people want them, the profit margins are huge and, at the end of the day, consumers don't care about driving these things with aplomb. The review almost sounds like what journalists used to say about Lexus. Luxurious, smooth, quiet and dull. That never stopped Lexus from selling lots of cars though.
For a decade fans have insulted Lexus and others for FWD, being soft, etc and here is a 4th SUV and one that is softer, fluffier, more boring, slower, FWD based, etc etc. We all can 100% agree it is a smart move, 100% about increasing volume as they have stated. To that respect it makes perfect sense and they made absolutely no effort to make this remotely class leading, they just wanted an entry in this field.

The reviews if you read are basically damning with faint praise. FYI this is not directed to you

Old 03-28-12, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Infiniti appears ready to launch a line of compact luxury crossovers that will wear the JX badge.
I checked out a JX at the D.C. auto show. Infiniti had one or two of them out on the floor, unlocked (which, IMO, is the way it should be), even though the JX is not on sale yet. There is nothing compact about the JX. By today's standards, it is clearly a mid-size SUV, up with the Ford Explorer and Dodge Durango. (and that's the way I'm going to write it up when I review it)
Old 03-28-12, 12:37 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The JX i feel like is the infiniti answer, at least sizewise, to the lexus GX and acura MDX. To be honest, if we could wait a little longer, it would probably be a car we would consider as i think it looks better then the mdx, gets better gas mileage then the gx, and is probably more reliable then an x5 or ml would be.
Old 03-28-12, 01:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I checked out a JX at the D.C. auto show. Infiniti had one or two of them out on the floor, unlocked (which, IMO, is the way it should be), even though the JX is not on sale yet. There is nothing compact about the JX. By today's standards, it is clearly a mid-size SUV, up with the Ford Explorer and Dodge Durango. (and that's the way I'm going to write it up when I review it)
Not for sale? We have a metallic purple one at the automall I work at on sale
Old 03-28-12, 04:45 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not for sale? We have a metallic purple one at the automall I work at on sale
Yup. It's now at the Infiniti site and can be speced and priced like the rest of the line.
Old 03-08-13, 05:16 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Hybrid

Infiniti will offer a hybrid version of its 7-passenger JX crossover in 2014, moving the luxury brand deeper into an alternative-powerplant strategy.

The addition will be called the QX60 Hybrid, in accordance with this year's planned portfolio-wide change in product names. Infiniti says it will deliver a 24% improvement in fuel economy and retail for about $3,000 more than the nonhybrid version.

Infiniti plans to unveil the hybrid version this month at the New York auto show.

Infiniti already is selling a hybrid powertrain version of its flagship M sedan, and recently revealed that it will also introduce a hybrid version of the upcoming Q50 this summer when that nameplate replaces the G37.

That will be 3 key hybrid products for the 2014 model year. Infiniti also plans to introduce an all-electric sedan in 2014, using the architecture of the Nissan Leaf.

Hybrid commitment

Infiniti vowed to put hybrid gasoline-electric powertrains into more models after parent company Nissan Motor Co. developed in-house hybrid drives in 2010.

"This allows us to offer power performance while still reaching what we believe will be best-in-class fuel economy,"
an Infiniti brand spokesman says. "Luxury customers want both."

Final EPA figures are not available, but Infiniti estimates the hybrid will deliver 26 mpg in combined city and highway driving, compared with an EPA-rated 21 mpg combined for the nonhybrid front-wheel-drive 2013 JX.

The QX60 Hybrid operates with a supercharged 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine teamed with a 15 kilowatt electric motor, delivering 250 net hp. The nonhybrid JX uses a 3.5-liter V-6 and produces 265 hp.

No lost interior space

The hybrid system's lithium ion battery module is positioned under the crossover's 3rd-row seat and will not affect the vehicle's interior cargo area or floor space.

Infiniti introduced the JX in March 2012. It was the brand's 2nd-highest volume product after the G last year, as retailers sold 21,674 units. It is built in Smyrna, Tenn.

U.S. sales of the Infiniti G last year rose 3% to 59,844.

You can reach Lindsay Chappell at lchappell@crain.com.
Old 03-08-13, 08:44 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

26mpg? I was expecting it to at least deliver the same mpg as a RX450h. IMO, 4-cylinder's (hybrid or not) do not belong in SUV's this large. The 1-2 mileage improvement doesnt offset the fact they are overworked in daily driving and sound absolutely crude.
Old 03-08-13, 01:04 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
26mpg? I was expecting it to at least deliver the same mpg as a RX450h. IMO, 4-cylinder's (hybrid or not) do not belong in SUV's this large. The 1-2 mileage improvement doesnt offset the fact they are overworked in daily driving and sound absolutely crude.
You can't expect the larger and heavier JX Hybrid to deliver the same (claimed) MPG as the RX Hybrid, especially if it is running with an over-worked 4-cylinder engine that is mated to an inferior hybrid system.
Old 04-01-13, 08:12 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thread title needs to be changed to 2014 Infiniti QX60. It's no longer called the JX.
Old 04-02-13, 06:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Motor
http://youtu.be/fX2O--N3gE4

Thread title needs to be changed to 2014 Infiniti QX60. It's no longer called the JX.
Tier 2 wil do Tier 2 stuff..ridiculous.... Seems all the cars were rebadged at the NYC Auto Show and caused quite the confusion lol