Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My wife and I want a cool "weekend car" for next year

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 01:42 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Used Corvette is the way to go!
Old 08-04-10, 01:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

cl600 can go for 30k now? Rock-a-Lex, if you like the power but not the size, maybe you can look at sl600 if the price is right

but still to me, nsx
Old 08-04-10, 01:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
cl600 can go for 30k now? Rock-a-Lex, if you like the power but not the size, maybe you can look at sl600 if the price is right

but still to me, nsx
Yep, a friend of mine bought a 2003 for 23K. Don't remember the mileage, I think it was around 40k.
Old 08-04-10, 02:06 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cayman is definitely a very fun car. Can't speak to reliability as I only know one owner (he has no problems).
Old 08-04-10, 02:09 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Well looking at everything so far on this thread I WILL look into either (in no particular order):

'97+ Acura NSX-T
'04/'05 Porsche Cayman S
'05/'06 Porsche Boxster S
'04/'05 Mercedes SL500 (I had no idea they were that affordable!) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-SL...item1c148b30e1

If you are looking for a weekend "Sports Car" than this list is about perfect except the Mercedes IMHO. The SL500 is a nice car, but will not feel like a light weight weekend fun sports car. It will feel like a heavy pig compared to the others on the list.

Drive all those cars on your list and you'll find it will be hard to compare the driving feel and dynamics to most other cars on the road. Its hard to explain the feel you have when you drive a mid engine. It truly feels like you are driving a race car or a kart of some sort. The balance is unlike almost anything on the road today.
Old 08-04-10, 02:09 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
^ thanks man...but I am looking for more of a sports car. The CL600 eventhough has tremendous power it probably feels like a super luxury rockship rather than a nimble sports car.
It would loooove to get the old cl55amg.
It's no sports car but it's amazing with the ABC suspension

of course, expensive as usual when it breaks down.
Old 08-04-10, 10:39 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superchan7
He has a budget and you're suggesting Maseratis? LOL.

I second the Porsche Cayman. They're common enough (at least out here in California), but consistently rank tops in sports car comparisons. They don't have the exotic factor of the NSX.
dude! look at the "buy it now" prices... approx 30k range...
Old 08-05-10, 12:00 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
dude! look at the "buy it now" prices... approx 30k range...
Yeah, but you're missing the "fix it now" price of 15k.
Old 08-05-10, 12:12 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd go with Mercedes SLK, SL, or CL of course don't forget warranty. NSX is nice too but get 94+(I think) as older ones don't come with power steering. Porsche is good choice too.
Old 08-05-10, 12:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the modern Porsche rear-engined and mid-engined Porsches are semi-exotics. The driving experience is more rewarding than a vast majority of more common sporty cars and the repair costs higher too. A CPO/factory-warrantied car makes a lot of sense for many buyers.
Old 08-05-10, 12:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

I'd suggest looking at a used 911. Can get some decent 993 versions as well as early 996 models for that price. I'm biased against the Boxter and the Cockster (Cayman) because I don't care for the way they look, but if you like 'em they would be a decent option as well.

You keep talking about a performance-specific car, but consider if this is going to be a summertime-only car, maximize the fun. Get a drop top with collectability, decent performance and great handling... give up on ground-blistering straight line as your key criteria.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

NSX will be nice (wife had one, modified) but finding one that has not been abused / high miles at that price in 1997+ will be very difficult to do.

Both NSX and Porsche will likely hold their value pretty well at this point in their lifecycle. Maybe a well-appointed low-mile BMW M3 E46 convertible you can drop some mods on.

(ps there is no such thing as a high stall TC in a stickshift)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-05-10 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-05-10, 04:02 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KA8
I'd go with Mercedes SLK, SL, or CL of course don't forget warranty. NSX is nice too but get 94+(I think) as older ones don't come with power steering. Porsche is good choice too.
The no power steering is a non issue to most. Unless you are a 50lb girl I could still one had steer the NSX in a parking sport with no problem. The newer NSX with electric power steering assist would cut off at around 20-30 MPH or something anyway. The non power steering is what gave the NSX such great steering feel and feedback. It's not like having a power steering car and removing the power assist. The rack is designed to have no power steering so its not that dead stiff feel.
Old 08-05-10, 06:38 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everyone else, search for the NSX, and as mentioned it is hard to find the right one or look into a used Porsche Cayman or Porsche 911 all are great choices!
Old 08-06-10, 05:13 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I vote for a 05+ vette, dirt cheap parts, good reliability and yes they are comfy. Only thing you have to watch out for on the 05 is the weak rear diff...but its only an issue if you like to dump the clutch when starting off in 1st gear.
Originally Posted by jaseman

Z06 - Probably your best bang for the buck, performance wise. Early years can be had within your budget, and you'll blow the doors off of most things on the road. But Vettes in general are a dime-a-dozen, so even though it's a Z06, most people won't notice.

Just some other ideas for you...
+3
Old 08-06-10, 07:28 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I'd suggest looking at a used 911. Can get some decent 993 versions as well as early 996 models for that price. I'm biased against the Boxter and the Cockster (Cayman) because I don't care for the way they look, but if you like 'em they would be a decent option as well.

You keep talking about a performance-specific car, but consider if this is going to be a summertime-only car, maximize the fun. Get a drop top with collectability, decent performance and great handling... give up on ground-blistering straight line as your key criteria.

NSX will be nice (wife had one, modified) but finding one that has not been abused / high miles at that price in 1997+ will be very difficult to do.

Both NSX and Porsche will likely hold their value pretty well at this point in their lifecycle. Maybe a well-appointed low-mile BMW M3 E46 convertible you can drop some mods on.

(ps there is no such thing as a high stall TC in a stickshift)

Good idea Dave...perhaps I should not put too much emphasis on performance and get something more fun (but can still handle itself ). BTW, I don't know much about manual transmission cars but i belive they make the NSX in automatic...if so, I wonder if there are high stall TC options available for that car? In any event I am most likely going to look for the manual version though...

How did you like your NSX btw? Pros? Cons? Thanks.

Here's one that looks pretty cool doing a quick search...

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 08-06-10 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: My wife and I want a cool "weekend car" for next year