Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My wife and I want a cool "weekend car" for next year

Old 08-03-10, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Thanks for the ideas guys!

I always viewed the Miata (and I am sorry to offend anyone) as a girls car; especially that my older sister had one; blasting her dance music in the mid 90's lol.
It's your choice....and your money, of course, but my first recommendation is also the Miata. For the money, and especially if you want a brand-new fun car, under 30K, just for weekends (and not for bad weather), you probably can't beat it, though it may be a little tight for tall or broad people.

IF you like the car, my strong advice is to forget about "chick" stereotypes and get one.

The Lotus Elise is nice but it is a little too small for me, I don't even know where the hell a Lotus dealer is to service it and it is harsh to drive...as mentioned on here and from what I have read.
Totally agree. The Elise, essentially a kiddy-car in physical size, is MUCH harder for large persons to get into and out of than even the Miata. I reviewed a new Elise in August of 2007. You should have seen me (at 6' 2" and 275 lbs) shoehorning in and out of one. The salesman, at first, didn't think I could do it, and then got a good laugh watching me. I had to literally climb in head first, lie flat crosswise across the entire width/console/shift lever, bend my feet/lower legs back down and around under the wheel, and then slide the rest of my portly body back across the console into the driver's seat. I would have loved to have had a video of that.

(And then, of course, I had to get back OUT )

I LOVE the styling of the NSX; it is flat out awesome to look at. BTW,. I have been FEVERISHLY looking everywhere for great deals on NSX's as I don't care if it was across the damn country. When the time comes I will buy the best deal regardless of where it's located. Currently, the BEST deal that I have seen is a 2002 Yellow/Black 6mt NSX with around 38,000 miles for around $37K...so if next year I can find something like this with a little more miles but for a little less money then I'm in!
Yes, the NSX is a great car for a used-car 30K deal, and, of course, the aluminum body means no rust (though aluminium can deteriorate in other ways). But accident repairs/body work can be difficult and expensive (only a few places can handle it). I suspect insurance premiums will also be very high, and of course, there's really nothing like having a brand-new car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-03-10 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-03-10, 05:28 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

No disrespect to anybody but if you want a fun and cool car, NSX and Supra have seen better days. Having a higher mileage car has it's own headaches. I'd go with an 08' Porsche Cayman or how about an sc430?. Just thinking outside of the box here but how about a Jeep Wrangler? It is the perfect summer/weekend cruiser. My neighbor has a black one with aftermarket rims and I'm always starring at that thing one my way out or coming home.
Old 08-03-10, 06:21 PM
markkin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dodge Viper - cheap, little depreciation, fast, very rare, ultimate looker. I would get a Dodge viper for ultimate looker, but I preference automatics.

Last edited by markkin; 08-03-10 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-03-10, 07:07 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys, I appreciate all the comments thus far...a couple of things. I NEED the car to be a reliable one as I don't want to pay through the nose constantly for repairs. Also, If I did find an NSX next year for low $30K range with around 40-50k miles it would be no big deal for me. We will be basically ONLY taking the car out sometimes on the weeken for a cruise...or myself for some spirited driving...never in the rain or in the snow. Will be tucked away in the garage probably from November to March here in NY. I anticipate only putting around 4,000 miles/yr IF THAT on the car. So, if I did get one with say 40-50,000 miles it would be no big deal. If I kept it for 4 years or so I wouldn't even be in the timing belt replacement timeframe which I am assuming costs BIG BUCKS!

I only want a hot looking car with good all around performance...everything else is out; no SUV's or anything of the sort. We would NOT be taking it to the track or on long weekend getaways...it would mainly be used to cruise around on weekends roling down to Port Jefferson or The Hamptons on a nice Spring/Summer weekend with the top off (i.e. we would like the Targa version). Also, I don't feel that a Porsche Caymen fits my lifestyle. Eventhough an NSX is exotic I can still get away with saying it's just an Acura. I am just a normal guy doing pretty good in a normal middle-class neighborhood who just so happens to like performance-oriented cars. But I still like to keep thing consistant...
Old 08-03-10, 07:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CPO Porsche Boxster S with a 4 year factory-backed warranty is a viable solution. Top goes down/up in 12 seconds and seals well when up. Pay to play with all and any of the higher end choices.
Old 08-03-10, 08:09 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I vote NSX. I sold mine to my brother with almost 90K miles on it. I believe it now has over 100K miles and still a blast to drive. The NSX is the ONLY car I have ever owned that I want/plan on buying another one. Its just something about driving it. Not the fastest car around but fast enough, not the more HP but enough, ultra reliable, among the best feeling manual transmissions around. Nothing like doing 80MPH in 2nd gear.

Anyway, I suggest you test drive whatever car you like. I drove my first NSX, and automatic one at that back in 1995. I had to have one from that point on.
Old 08-03-10, 08:57 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NSX FTW. They are super reliable, from what I've heard. And, they still look fabulous.
Old 08-03-10, 11:32 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

here r my choices...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...item2308e809ff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-MA...item3f01e97a49

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...item2a0918ecdd

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...item3caf987922

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-SL...item1c148b30e1

pay little more and got A LOT more!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...item3a5d270a94
Old 08-03-10, 11:58 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

He has a budget and you're suggesting Maseratis? LOL.

I second the Porsche Cayman. They're common enough (at least out here in California), but consistently rank tops in sports car comparisons. They don't have the exotic factor of the NSX.
Old 08-04-10, 05:58 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Well looking at everything so far on this thread I WILL look into either (in no particular order):

'97+ Acura NSX-T
'04/'05 Porsche Cayman S
'05/'06 Porsche Boxster S
'04/'05 Mercedes SL500 (I had no idea they were that affordable!) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-SL...item1c148b30e1

Out of all these cars my wife's favorite is definietely the NSX and then the Merc SL (has always said she wanted one!). This is just a weekend car as I don't want (or need) to look rich...lol. I simply want to experience a fun, nice looking sport-car before we start raising a family.

BTW, out of the 4 above vehicles how is the reliability of each? I know the NSX is pretty damn reliable but how about the Merc or the Porsche models?

I am impressed with these contributions on this thread! I appreciate the help from all...thanks!
Old 08-04-10, 06:08 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Three more options in your used price range that I haven't seen mentioned already:

Lexus SC
Cadillac XLR
Ford Thunderbird
Old 08-04-10, 11:46 AM
madoka
Pole Position

If you're more interested in driving experience, then the Cayman:

http://motortrend.automotive.com/115...-cayman-s.html

As MT's technical editor said, "It's now, in my humble opinion, very simply the best sports car in the world."

If you are more interested in turning heads, then the NSX.
Old 08-04-10, 12:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rock-a-Lex, did you consider a CL600? I drove one recently, and the torque from the TT V12 is just insane. I drove it on Belt Pkway, and it went from 40 to 90 in what felt like a fraction of a second

They are also affordable, you can get one with low mileage for around 30k. But beware of repair and maintenance bills.
Old 08-04-10, 01:03 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

^ thanks man...but I am looking for more of a sports car. The CL600 eventhough has tremendous power it probably feels like a super luxury rockship rather than a nimble sports car.
Old 08-04-10, 01:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
^ thanks man...but I am looking for more of a sports car. The CL600 eventhough has tremendous power it probably feels like a super luxury rockship rather than a nimble sports car.
Thats true, but once you step on the gas you wont care, trust me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My wife and I want a cool "weekend car" for next year