Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My wife and I want a cool "weekend car" for next year

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 10:20 AM
LexFather

AMG SLK? AMG coupes can be had under 30, including the last CL

Old 08-03-10, 10:22 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of the cars on your list, the NSX is my favorite. It is a dream to drive (although I have only driven modded versions). From what I hear, power is not an issue unless you come from something faster, but I have heard that you expect it to be fast by today's standards based on its modern luck (Basically, it looksl like a 2010, but is not fast for a 2010 car that looks like that).

As other have said though, it will be hard to find a good one. I tried, but everything was over $30k for the mileage I was looking for (below 50k).

This was also a year ago.

Have you considered the 2001-06 M3, even though you said 2 seater, the rears are not at all useful or a newer 335i coupe, you could also get an SL55 AMG if you look hard enough?
Old 08-03-10, 10:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaseman
Have you ridden one? Personally, I was a bit disappointed, but the wife loved it.
I was disappointed with the handling (comparing to more responsive motorcycles that can lean).

Otherwise, I think it's a great tourer. It's a great alternative to a convertible, with more perks than a two-wheeler.

Passengers would love it due to more amenities (heated grips/seat for the rear passenger, good audio system, luggage capacity) and better riding position.
Old 08-03-10, 10:28 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd pick the NSX first but the S2000 would be considerably cheaper. They go for a lot less these days. You and your wife might like the top down feel on a cool summer night also.
Old 08-03-10, 10:36 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I was disappointed with the handling (comparing to more responsive motorcycles that can lean).

Otherwise, I think it's a great tourer. It's a great alternative to a convertible, with more perks than a two-wheeler.

Passengers would love it due to more amenities (heated grips/seat for the rear passenger, good audio system, luggage capacity) and better riding position.
I had similar impressions. Handling "feel" was more akin to a quad, or such (always felt like I was gonna be thrown off to the outside of the corner). Was also disappointed with the power. For a 900, even with the extra weight it carries, it felt like it should have more power.

But I'm a motorcycle guy, through and through. So I'm a bit biased. For a weekend toy for someone like the OP, it definitely might be something worth looking into. All the tech goodies, and it'll still outrun most cars....
Old 08-03-10, 10:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaseman
(always felt like I was gonna be thrown off to the outside of the corner)
That was a surprise when I test rode it.

The Spyder can turn well, but it takes some ***** to squeeze your legs on the tank to hold on against lateral g-forces.

Fun and somewhat scary...
Old 08-03-10, 10:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
What about an S2000?
for around 30k, i would pick the nsx over the s2k. yes, you can get a newer lower mileage s2k for the same price, but the nsx is just better imho
Old 08-03-10, 11:01 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
What about an S2000?
That was my thought.. Nice HP and light weight.. slap on a exhaust and go..
Old 08-03-10, 11:05 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have spent some time behind the wheel of a stock NSX on the track and I loved it. The handling is nuetral and can convert to power on over steer with a little throttle on corner exit. Its not going to snap on you like some vette and kill you or send you into a ditch on the side of the road. The NSX is designed so that you can push the car to its limits , and kind of have to to extract the maximum power . The car may seem lethargic but its just the Honda motors that dont produce a lot of power unless you are above 5-6k rpm. Its an amazing machine that is super reliable and will still turn heads. Also there is a lot of after market support for the vehicle.

Another cool option would be a drop top 350z. They are so much fun, have lots of low end torque, and will handle very very well also. Have fun with it. Enjoy
Old 08-03-10, 12:36 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NSX.

If you haven't driven one yet, go drive one. Numbers cannot justify this car.
Old 08-03-10, 12:58 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
So, as the title states my wife and I want a cool weekend car. It will definitely need to be a 2dr, 2 seater and we don't want to spend anymore than $30K.

We are thinking about the Acura NSX...at least the '97+ model with the 3.2L 290hp engine...I would like a 6mt. I love the styling and the exotic look/feel of these cars however, I was reading up and almost every owner complains that it is a little lethargic. I have never driven one so I cannot comment on such. I have heard that these cars are reliable, handle amazingly, fun and very comfortable...but again, if the power isn't there that may make me nervous. I most likely will NEVER bring it to the track as tracks are hours away from me. Does anyone on here have any experience with the NSX?

I know that they weigh around 3100 lbs with 290hp and run 4.9's 0-60mph and 13.3's in the 1/4 mile from what I have read. I wonder if there are a lot of aftermarket mods for this car. Also, I wonder what a high stall TC can do on such a lightweight car with regard to straight-line performance. Don't get me wrong I am NOT looking for a car with JUST straight-line performance; I just want a car to be as fast as it looks and the NSX "looks" very fast; if I get one I would need to buy an already modded one or mod (performance) it in a cost-effective yet noticable way.

The other car is an '04+ Corvette Z06 BUT my wife (and kind of myself) don't get that same WOW feeling from the car when we look at it...also seeing them all the time on the raod doesn't help either. But they are sure as hell VERY fast and handle great too...some say they aren't the most comfortable cars though; and I am not sure how reliable they are - I don't know much about them.

...and of course the Toyota Supra. Kind of winds up somewhere between both of these cars as far as performance goes but I am not sure if it has that exotic feel of an NSX.

Someone please give me some advise and help sway my decisions to the rightful car! Also, if you have any other suggestions in this price range please feel free to add to this thread. Thank you!
You won't find a suitable '97+ NSX for $30k. Someone posted this little guide on NSX Prime, and it's a pretty good summary:

* $22.5k - $27.5k for '91-'94 NSX coupe w/ avg./above-avg. miles

* $30k - $35k for '95-'96 NSX-T w/ avg./above-avg. miles

* $37.5k - $42.5k for '97-'01 NSX-T w/ avg./above-avg. miles

[the refreshed '02-'05 NSX-T go for $47.5k - $62.5k w/ low to avg. miles]

(avg. miles for an NSX is ~5k/year)

The aforementioned encompasses most NSX'es, yes- there are exceptions.

More info' w/ regards to general NSX upkeep...

maint'/service:
- 4yr/60k + 6yr/90k (or 7yr/105k for late-models) = ~$2.5k+

wear-&-tear/consumables:
- brake pads/discs/fluid
- tires/alignment
- seat-bolsters / floor-mats / door & center-console trim surface
- A/C recharge (and/or R134c retrofit)
- Bose stereo speaker/sub amps (repairable)
- Climate control panel (repairable)
- door-window regulators ("Fix'it thingies"/lube)
- clutch = $2k - $2.5k (indie vs. dealer)

A '91-'94 NSX coupe that is well sorted is more-or-less money in the bank, as it'll need little or no funds to keep running & it's depreciation has largely bottomed out (ie. excessive mileage and/or poor condition will affect value).

A '95-'96 NSX-T w/o issue offers "lifestyle" (removable roof, power-steering) to the '91-'94 power-train/drive-train (as well as being OBDII) & it's likely to depreciate minimally (ie. excessive mileage and/or poor condition will affect value).

A no-story '97-'01 NSX-T offers "lifestyle" (removable roof, power-steering) & performance (larger displacement engine w/ improved exhaust-manifold design, 6 spd. transmission, etc') & still will depreciate slightly albeit at a very low rate (relative to other similarly priced high-end/premium vehicles).
If I were you, I'd post on the New/Prospective Owners section on NSX Prime; I wouldn't be surprised if a member in your area offers to give you a ride.

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
NSX.

If you haven't driven one yet, go drive one. Numbers cannot justify this car.
I agree with this. Much like a Miata, it's a fun and confidence inspiring drive that is much more satisfying than the numbers suggest.
Old 08-03-10, 01:19 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

If you want a "cool" weekend car then it has to be an NSX. Personally I would not consider an S2000/Miata/Z3 a "cool" weekend car.
Old 08-03-10, 01:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

My preference for this kind of weekend car would be Boxster/Caymen (CPO), very rewarding based on my experience with 2 of them.
Old 08-03-10, 03:52 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

how about a viper ??
Old 08-03-10, 04:03 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What do you want to do with this summer car? Does it just have to be fast and exotic? Does it have to be a vert or a coupe? Do you want to show it? Do you plan to use it for track days? Are you going to cruise around town or go on weekend / long weekend trips with it? Does it need to hold golf clubs?

Don't rule out older cars. Depending on where you live, folks see modern exotics all the time, but seldom see a classic muscle car, Jag, or Benz. The guy that bought my Allante was choosing between two Allantes, a 94 Jag vert, and mid-80s MB SL. One of my friends has had a series of muscle car projects that he fixes up, drives for a few years, and then sells. He currently has an awesome 69 Pontiac GTO vert.

Quick Reply: My wife and I want a cool "weekend car" for next year