Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumormill: Jaguar working on aluminum X-Type successor

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 02:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Rumormill: Jaguar working on aluminum X-Type successor

Rumormill: Jaguar working on aluminum X-Type successor

Tata Motors chief executive Carl-Peter Forster has acknowledged that Jaguar needs a smaller, higher-volume vehicle and it appears that just such a car is already under development. Unlike the less-than-stellar X-Type which was based on the second-generation Ford Mondeo, the new car should actually be a real Jaguar.

Jaguar is reportedly working on a new modular aluminum platform that would be shared between the new smaller car, the mid-sized XF and the next-generation XK. In renderings posted by AutoExpress at least, the baby Jag bears a strong resemblance to the XF but with curvier rear haunches and XJ-style taillamps. Of course, what the real thing will ultimately look like is anyone's guess.

Power will likely come from downsized and boosted four-cylinder gas and diesel engines, with the current 3.0-liter diesel V6 as a range-topper. Also look for a hybrid to enter the mix. All of this will help Jaguar meet the new EU CO2 emissions limits once the new smaller Jaguar debuts, which could happen as soon as soon as 2012.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/24/r...ype-successor/
Old 07-27-10, 05:24 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice. The X-Type looked like a mini XJ but that's about it. It was cramped inside and a little pricey (at least in Canada).
Old 07-27-10, 06:09 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaguar needs an X type, but as long as it is built better than the last, it will be a big hit if it is styled like the current Jag line.
Old 07-27-10, 06:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting and if done right, can be very lucrative (as Lexus/MB/BMW have proven with IS/C-class/3-series in recent years).
Old 07-27-10, 06:41 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it just needs to look like a scaled down XF, they will have a winner.
Old 07-27-10, 07:37 PM
LexFather

I wish Jaguar would go upmarket and be a niche brand. Clearly the X type and S type failed hard. Hell they dropped the name S-type for XF.

So this will likely not be called a X-type. XE or something....

The X-type is one of the cars around Atlanta people through dubs on claiming "I got a Jag" having no idea how badly this car stinks.

No thanks.

Old 07-27-10, 10:26 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
Jaguar needs an X type...
Honestly, they do.

The replacement for the X-Type should be in the sport-compact league of a BMW 3-Series or Mercedes C-Class.

It should not be a dumbed-down version of the XF/XJ; those two sell luxury over performance. For a smaller vehicle, it needs to prove that the cat has prowess. It should sell performance more than luxury.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Clearly the X type and S type failed hard. Hell they dropped the name S-type for XF.
Yes. Those two (the X-Type moreso than the S-Type) did not help flourish the essence of Jaguar. It screamed Ford; it was a flawed American product with British stodginess.

The current Jaguar family is extremely unique and prominent. The XK can prove to be as agile (if not better) than most flagship coupes. The XF is a breath of fresh air from the 5-Series and E-Class's dominance. The XJ proves that a luxo-barge flagship doesn't have to look boring and dated.

I can only imagine an appropriate sport-compact sedan that will be more exclusive than the standard 3/C/IS monikers. Let it be priced a little more, but offer somewhat-equal performance with superior quality materials that define Jaguar's luxury.

SO I SAY: BRING IT ON!!!