Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW's Engine Problems: A Safety Risk to Drivers -- and the Company?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 12:19 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Then you made a dangerous pass as you will not slow down that fast going 75mph. Are you assuming limp mode hits the brakes or you fail on the concept of inertia?
Are you really going to play the part of the apologist in this? Did you read the OP's article where it said this - (It was bolded so you wouldn't miss it)

Engine suddenly shut off.
NHTSA closed the investigation on Aug. 15, 2008, because the engines stalled in only 4% of the complaints.
I see where you corrected yourself, but really, please fully read the original article before you start commenting and correcting other people ("fail on the concept of inertia?").

Note: Shutting the car off and back on solved the problem.
Yay. That doesn't amount to much if another car just smashed into your car's ***, though.
Old 07-26-10, 01:27 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Infra;5669323]Are you really going to play the part of the apologist in this? Did you read the OP's article where it said this - (It was bolded so you wouldn't miss it)

I see where you corrected yourself, but really, please fully read the original article before you start commenting and correcting other people ("fail on the concept of inertia?").[quote]

I'm not being an apologist at all on this.

He said limp mode. Period. Please read up on what limp mode actually is.

Yay. That doesn't amount to much if another car just smashed into your car's ***, though.
And what are you talking about here? My friend's car went into limp mode, he was going 50 mph, he was fine. He pulled over and restarted his car. Doesn't have to do anything with another car smashing into his rear.

I don't see why you can't differentiate going into limp mode vs. whole car shutting off.
Old 07-26-10, 01:33 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There's different stages of limp mode.You can rough engine running 50MPH in one stage and 10MPH in another and in between.Then there's the rare dead on side of the road.
Never heard of the limp mode and then start up and everything is fine.Not saying that can't happen but it isn't the norm.
Old 07-26-10, 02:45 PM
LexFather

Not sure how anyone can defend the fuel pump issue. It has been problematic for years now. This article brings up maybe the worse outcome in a fuel pump failure. We just had a thread where quite a few members here had issues with it and if you search the BMW forum for 20 seconds you will see the issues are plentiful.

I hope they fix it and don't go through what Toyota/Lexus did with the recalls and govt B.S.

Old 07-26-10, 02:52 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

now here's a company that deserves a gov't safety inspection, my gawd does bmw make unreliable cars or what ?

what toyota is going through is truly uncalled for...they have made the most reliable cars ever and without them we as a consumer, would not have such quality standards that other's have to meet just to stay in business.

when all this time we have benz, bmw, nissan all making shoddy vehicles go uncalled for.
Old 07-26-10, 03:14 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure how anyone can defend the fuel pump issue. It has been problematic for years now. This article brings up maybe the worse outcome in a fuel pump failure. We just had a thread where quite a few members here had issues with it and if you search the BMW forum for 20 seconds you will see the issues are plentiful.

I hope they fix it and don't go through what Toyota/Lexus did with the recalls and govt B.S.
Yeah, the engine failure issue has been around years now. I remember reading about 335's and 5 series failing on the highway on BMW sites. What I can't believe is why BMW Corp has been left alone. Why no congressional hearings? Why no task force investigations? WHy no CEO's flown in and threatened with incarceration or huge fines? WHy no similar treatment received by Toyota? This stinks!
Old 07-26-10, 03:25 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And what are you talking about here? My friend's car went into limp mode, he was going 50 mph, he was fine. He pulled over and restarted his car. Doesn't have to do anything with another car smashing into his rear.

I don't see why you can't differentiate going into limp mode vs. whole car shutting off.
limp mode reduces rpm and speed and in some cases limits your gears. And its is very dangerous if it kicks in while you are merging or passing.
Old 07-26-10, 05:55 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by f=ma
limp mode reduces rpm and speed and in some cases limits your gears. And its is very dangerous if it kicks in while you are merging or passing.
Agree to disagree then. I don't find that it would slow you down so considerably someone behind you would hit you. Shutting off is a completely other issue.

For the record, I do think there should be a recall. I have some friends that have lemoned their vehicle and received VERY fair buybacks. In fact they were compensated so well, they bought another BMW.

My point here is, while issues should not occur, how the company takes care of the issue is very important. I personally know of 3 lemons. I frequent some of the biggest meets and know a lot of the community, so I would have to say it is not as common as the forums lead to believe. I truly ANY issues on the forums are always overstated since those who have the problems will be the most vocal. People usually don't chime in if they don't have problems.

I also have met many BMW Techs due to the meets.
Old 07-26-10, 05:59 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ice350
Yeah, the engine failure issue has been around years now. I remember reading about 335's and 5 series failing on the highway on BMW sites. What I can't believe is why BMW Corp has been left alone. Why no congressional hearings? Why no task force investigations? WHy no CEO's flown in and threatened with incarceration or huge fines? WHy no similar treatment received by Toyota? This stinks!
Because people have died?
Because of the media publicity about Toyota knowing about the issues?
"Toyota internal memos."

Overblown or not, any time someone dies, it's going to be a bigger story. If a BMW owner died due to "intended acceleration," the Gov't will react accordingly.

I am not attacking Lexus here, I'm just stating what I see.
Old 07-26-10, 06:59 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Then you made a dangerous pass as you will not slow down that fast going 75mph. Are you assuming limp mode hits the brakes or you fail on the concept of inertia?
Reducing speed without applying brakes can be very dangerous because the lack of brake application means there is no signal to cars behind that the car is slowing down. Braking for no reason is bad enough as it is, because even though the red lights come on, drivers do not expect cars to arbitrarily apply brakes Certainly lack of engine power results in a less dramatic deceleration than braking, but with no brake applied, drivers behind have absolutely no warning.

Perhaps I learned this lesson better than others because a classmate of mine in high school was rear ended by another car after his passenger, when adjusting the stereo, accidentally knocked the gear into neutral as the driver was trying to merge onto the highway.
Old 07-26-10, 07:46 PM
LexFather

Because people have died?
Because of the media publicity about Toyota knowing about the issues?
"Toyota internal memos."

Overblown or not, any time someone dies, it's going to be a bigger story. If a BMW owner died due to "intended acceleration," the Gov't will react accordingly.

I am not attacking Lexus here, I'm just stating what I see.
Exactly why the media did a poor job here. The only death was a cop and due to the wrong floormats placed by a dealership. It was not UI.

So far what we know is no UI cases have been proven from the WSJ article recently. All cases showed people were pressing the wrong pedal.

Old 07-26-10, 09:13 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Exactly why the media did a poor job here. The only death was a cop and due to the wrong floormats placed by a dealership. It was not UI.

So far what we know is no UI cases have been proven from the WSJ article recently. All cases showed people were pressing the wrong pedal.
Yes, the scrutiny was applied before their was even there was a formal investigation. Damage already done. The answer for the treatment Lexus was given remains the same. If BMW had reports that someone died, unfortunately the same thing would've happened to them. Basically, I don't think there's an ultra conspiracy out there. BMW would've been faced with the same scrutiny if people died also. Agree with your assessment with the media.
Old 07-27-10, 12:08 AM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When will people learn ? http://www.bmw335iproblems-californialemonlaw.com/
Old 07-27-10, 08:48 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

335 owners/leasee(s) should be crapping bricks every time they get behind the wheel. The OP & others should not put their family in danger with such a death trap of a vehicle.. The Infiniti G37 would of been a better choice with its incredible reliability record, drive & price. Why the BMW?

Heck, there are owners driving their 335's across the country in 122 degree holding on to the temps.. My goodness, what are they thinking by taking such a risk?

Took the 335i to vegas in 122-F heat !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... and she performed ADMIRABLY... I must say. For the past year, I've been reluctant to take her to vegas.

But at no time did she sputter, stutter, go limp, stall, or choke. I must say the car quite actually drives better in the heat than it does during the winter. In cold weather, this car doesn't seem to perform as well as when it is hotter which is odd for turbos.

I was just flooring it safely down Paradise blvd. whilst crusing on the strip in 122F with the A/C blasting. The pull is strong and responsive.

Overall, I am impressed. I shall return to sin city with her once again.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412786

I am on my 2nd 335 (purchased this time around) & happy to report that I have never experienced a HPFP issue with the cars.. There are guys with 07 335's with over 60k with no HPFP issues. The numbers of those with no HPFP issues outweighs those with the issue. Since someone brought up The Toyota/Lexus recalls, not every Toyota/Lexus vehicle accelerates out of control.. In the same breath, not every N54 335 will have its HPFP pump fail..

Happy motoring
Old 07-27-10, 10:25 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Agree to disagree then. I don't find that it would slow you down so considerably someone behind you would hit you. Shutting off is a completely other issue.

For the record, I do think there should be a recall. I have some friends that have lemoned their vehicle and received VERY fair buybacks. In fact they were compensated so well, they bought another BMW.

My point here is, while issues should not occur, how the company takes care of the issue is very important. I personally know of 3 lemons. I frequent some of the biggest meets and know a lot of the community, so I would have to say it is not as common as the forums lead to believe. I truly ANY issues on the forums are always overstated since those who have the problems will be the most vocal. People usually don't chime in if they don't have problems.

I also have met many BMW Techs due to the meets.
Apologist.

You are comparing your anecdotal experience against the total sample size, which has documented evidence of stalling and serious risks. I'm sorry, but in this case, your words hold no water.

Quick Reply: BMW's Engine Problems: A Safety Risk to Drivers -- and the Company?