Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tell me about inexpensive Lexuses? Thinking about getting one.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 09:42 PM
loki993
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me about inexpensive Lexuses? Thinking about getting one.

So I'm going to need a car soon. Ive always liked Lexus. Basically because they're rear drive, aren't many rear drive Japanese cars out there. Thing is I wont have a lot of money to spend. Maybe 3 or 4k max, probably less than that in all reality too. It all depends on the job I end up with.

I really like the SCs, but they seem to hang right around 4k maybe a bit less rarely.

Dont see a lot of GSs for those prices.

I do see a fair bit of LSs, why is that? Thing is the LSs generally have big miles on them, 200k+.

Probably for the money Im looking at they're all gonna have high miles.

I guess where I'm getting at is trying to find one that cheap is it worth it or am I getting myself into a money pit? Ive had "cheap" luxury cars before and generally they're quite expensive to fix, that's why they're so cheap. I'm wondering if going Japanese would be better as it may not give as many problems.
Old 08-01-10, 09:51 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

If your budget is max 4k, I'd suggest looking for a more modest car.

Lexus are known for reliability and durability but 200k mileage cars are pretty much at the end of their lifespan. You can get a more modest car (an older model civic, accord, etc.) for around the same price with a quarter of the mileage and still have reliability on your side. More importantly, you won't be burdened with expensive maintenance (likely to come with a luxury car and a high mileage vehicle - in this case both).

IMO, it's better to purchase a standard daily driver (check carfax and history too) and save up for that really nice purchase later on.
Old 08-01-10, 10:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL...and CAR CHAT. I see this is your first post.

Basically because they're rear drive, aren't many rear drive Japanese cars out there.
There are a number of FWD and AWD Lexus models available.....they aren't exclusively RWD by any means. And there are a number of other RWD Japanese vehicles, too, particularly from Infiniti, but also the RX-8, Miata, S2000, and other Japanese sports cars.

Maybe 3 or 4k max,
You're not going to find many good used Lexus vehicles for that kind of money. I agree with tofu_house....perhaps you should look at another make.
Old 08-01-10, 10:14 PM
LexFather

Welcome to CL! I think with that budget the RWD Lexus vehicles will certainly cost more to maintain then the ES which will be cheaper to run/fix and buy for that price.

Good luck

Old 08-01-10, 10:15 PM
loki993
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tofu_house
If your budget is max 4k, I'd suggest looking for a more modest car.

Lexus are known for reliability and durability but 200k mileage cars are pretty much at the end of their lifespan. You can get a more modest car (an older model civic, accord, etc.) for around the same price with a quarter of the mileage and still have reliability on your side. More importantly, you won't be burdened with expensive maintenance (likely to come with a luxury car and a high mileage vehicle - in this case both).

IMO, it's better to purchase a standard daily driver (check carfax and history too) and save up for that really nice purchase later on.
I kinda figured that may be the case. Like I said I don't want something that will bleed me dry.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL...and CAR CHAT. I see this is your first post.

There are a number of FWD and AWD Lexus models available.....they aren't exclusively RWD by any means. And there are a number of other RWD Japanese vehicles, too, particularly from Infiniti, but also the RX-8, Miata, S2000, and other Japanese sports cars.

You're not going to find many good used Lexus vehicles for that kind of money. I agree with tofu_house....perhaps you should look at another make.
Thanks. Yeah I know there are AWD and FWD Lexus too, but it just seems theyre one of the few Japanese makes that actually does rear drive cars. Maybe Ill see if they'res anything out there from Infiniti, but Im not in love with their styling by any means. I do really like the G35 coupe, but that's way out of my price range.

I think I just need to find a nice Camry to drive around. Wont be much fun, but it shouldn't run me into the poor house either.
Old 08-01-10, 10:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

An inexpensive Lexus will end up being VERY expensive after a while, with all the required service and parts.

Get a more sensible car.
Old 08-01-10, 11:22 PM
loki993
Driver School Candidate

Ok so its seems that's a bad idea, I have a feeling it would be wanted to make sure though.

Ill just find a decent Camry or something, shouldn't be too hard, maybe a Honda.

so next question, what can someone expect to have to pay for an SC in decent shape?
Old 08-02-10, 12:38 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about a MR2, 240sx, ae86, toyota cressida. RWD and japanese. don't know their prices, but they should be relatively well priced.
Old 08-02-10, 06:48 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

At $4k, your choices are gonna be pretty limited (even for modest cars). In my area at least, once you get below that price, even the Civic's, Corrolla's, ect. are all gonna be really old, have high milage, or be very abused.

But the real question becomes, what is your purpose for the car? Do you need four doors? Do you need any sort of cargo space? Is it strictly a daily driver? Does it need to be decent in the snow? All this affects what I might recommend in a car that price.

If you just have to have RWD, and never need to cary much, you can find an older Miata, RX7 or MR2 in that price range. Great fun, reliable (at least the Miata - don't have experience with the MR2), and relatively easy to maintain. At your price, won't be perfect, but in your price range, nothing will be.

Need more room, but still want RWD? The 240 is good choice. Has back seats (though minimal) and a little bit of trunks space for groceries.

Have to have luxury? An older 3-series is a good option. I've seen late-80's/early 90's in decent condition for that price. You can also find Porsche 924/944's in that range. It's not gonna be modern luxury, but will be nicer than a 15 year old Civic. Both can be trouble free, but you have to keep up on them, because if you do need repairs, they get expensive quick.

If you don't absolutely have to have RWD, then the choices are endless. But at $4k, your still gonna end up with a car that is 15-20 years old, or has 200k on the dial...
Old 08-02-10, 09:02 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I know I'm going to sound like the old fogey that I am, but $3-4K can buy you nice Taurus, Impala, or other domestic. They are cheap to buy and cheap to fix. Decent older Hondas and Toyotas have appreciated to more than $5-6K.

Sorry to rain on your fun parade.
Old 08-02-10, 11:11 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and best of luck in the car search.
Old 08-02-10, 11:26 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome.

Echo of what the others above have mentioned. These older high miles cars will bleed you dry in most instances. End of life at ~200K miles unless you happen into a 1 owner with good service history.
Old 08-02-10, 11:33 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

welcome to CL! this might sound odd, but you can go around your neighborhood searching for elderly people and pitching them the offer of selling their older lexus vehicles. thats what we did. told them we admired how well kept the vehicle was, which most likely is always the case with the elderly, and they were more than willing to let it go for a good price. many dont even drive daily, but use it maybe once or twice a month for grocery shopping and stuff like that, so mileage, though probably high, wont be as high as someone who daily drove it to work and used it as the beater car. best of luck!
Old 08-04-10, 12:07 AM
loki993
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
welcome to CL! this might sound odd, but you can go around your neighborhood searching for elderly people and pitching them the offer of selling their older lexus vehicles. thats what we did. told them we admired how well kept the vehicle was, which most likely is always the case with the elderly, and they were more than willing to let it go for a good price. many dont even drive daily, but use it maybe once or twice a month for grocery shopping and stuff like that, so mileage, though probably high, wont be as high as someone who daily drove it to work and used it as the beater car. best of luck!
Thats interesting, possible.